Gransnet forums

Christmas

The Christmas bonus.

(7 Posts)
M0nica Tue 04-Dec-18 12:23:49

Cannot see the point of it. Christmas bonus and heating allowance just get put into bank account. Whether that is the specific money that comes out of my bank when I give to charity, I have no idea. A bit like separating the squash from the water after you have mixed them together.

Grandad1943 Mon 03-Dec-18 16:43:44

Why do people always assume that any type "bonus" has to be linked to inflation? My company like many others provide quarterly bonus payments to all staff based on the profitability of the business.

In the above successive governments may have taken the same view, and lets face it, with the national debt ever increasing it has to be said that the UK has not done very well for a number of years.

Hence, there could be a case made for this "bonus" not being paid at all.

KatyK Mon 03-Dec-18 14:58:59

We've just received ours. We don't need it so we give it to charity usually. Although it isn't much, I'm sure it's a help to some people.

Bathsheba Mon 03-Dec-18 13:07:05

Frankly I hope this 'bonus' doesn't get cut. I don't know anyone who doesn't give it to charity one way or another - I use it to contribute to a food bank for example. I can't imagine the funds being diverted to good causes if the government stopped it, so an awful lot of charities would suffer.

Charleygirl5 Mon 03-Dec-18 11:39:37

I agree, it probably costs £20 to allocate each tenner.

EllanVannin Mon 03-Dec-18 10:57:11

Wow, do we still get that ? I thought it had gone with the shaved off £50 heating thing. What a waste of time that is when you consider the extra faff involved. They should put it into charities evenly.

Daddima Mon 03-Dec-18 10:21:29

I’ve just noticed £10 has been paid into my account. On reading up on it, an article from 2009 said it should be £90+ to keep up with inflation, and a later article quoted £127, as when it was introduced the basic pension was around £6.50.

I’m going to try and give it to somewhere it’ll be used well.