Gransnet forums

Christmas

Gransnet's virtual Christmas party - everyone's invited

(145 Posts)
LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 06-Dec-18 15:30:19

We've dusted off the baubles, stocked up on bubbly and mince pies, and will be putting up the tree tomorrow. All in preparation for the annual online Gransnet Christmas Party. Although we may have to replenish the tins of chocolates (someone has demolished the lot ?). tchwink

We know that for many reasons, some of you might be spending the festive season on your own, so if that's the case, or if you simply find a spare minute on the day and fancy popping in to celebrate, please do.

There'll be a welcome mulled wine from HQ, some cheesy Christmas jokes, and loads of good wishes from fellow gransnetters. tchsmile

EDIT: We've even got The Gransnet Playlist sorted thanks to your suggestions. So feel free to have this on high volume while you dance around the kitchen.

glammanana Sat 08-Dec-18 16:59:20

I will bring a couple of full bodied Rioja and leave behind the bar for Xmas Day just help yourself when you arrive,just make sure the cleaner doesn't find them before the big day.tchsmile

Cherrytree59 Sat 08-Dec-18 20:11:36

Sounds a ball.
Anyone for homemade mulled wine?
Packs a punch ?.

Marydoll any idea what you are expecting?
Have you chose a name?what about Amazon
Quite seasonal in our house.tchgrin
If twins *Amazon and Argos*??

Greyduster Sat 08-Dec-18 20:19:33

Cherry with names like that if they arrive on the right day it really will be a miracle!!
I will throw in my sloe gin and a gallon of home made elderberry wine of indeterminate age!

Doodle Sat 08-Dec-18 20:55:12

Well I will dust off my best Argy outfit and be pleased to come along with a huge box of chocs and some mince pies. Sounds like a good time for all. Rufus you are on GN so you must be as welcome as the rest of us. I am certainly hoping for turkey and all the trimmings plus a large glass (or two) of red so I hope there will be plenty to go around.
Granless I am not really a party person either but do pop in. I am sure we can find somewhere quiet to snooze sit. tchgrin

Rufus2 Sun 09-Dec-18 09:56:50

you must be as welcome as the rest of us
Nan; Thank you for that! And Doodle, pleased I've not been barred, but don't tell me you also imbibe from large glasses too? The ones with a handle! tchshock
Yes Nan; after your excellent work at the birthday bash (Gee, 5months ago!), I'll support your application for DJ, but I notice Mancgirl has already applied. Whoever gets the job can play "Ray Conniff and Kenny Ball" all night for all I care. Oh, and throw in "All I want for Christmas is my two front teeth" for a laugh! tchgrin wine wine wine

mancgirl Sun 09-Dec-18 10:37:03

Rufus quite happy for you to share the decks while I go off for a boogie and a glass of wine refreshment!

JudiDrench Sun 09-Dec-18 14:09:37

Ooh, I'll be there! Will bring posh champagne including vintage but, freshly-squeezed orange juice for buck's fizz, salted almonds and veggie crispstchsmile

Izabella Sun 09-Dec-18 14:15:18

Thank you HQ for the invitation; I was going to offer my heavy rock and garage mixes but after reading about Ray Coniff (had to look him up!) I don't think it would be appreciated. I can tone down to Joe Bonamassa, Groove Armada and Excalibur (feat. Volker arber) if that helps. Otherwise just champagne for me please.

I can bring lemon drizzle and mince pies plus lemon curd tarts (all home made obviously) and my extremely subtle tree ornaments from Texas ???

Izabella Sun 09-Dec-18 14:21:58

us.napster.com/artist/volker-barber/album/excalibur-soundtracks-with-the-best-and-most-famous-classica/track/dance-of-the-sabres-excalibur-album-version-1993

Greyduster Sun 09-Dec-18 14:31:01

Ray Conniff! There’s a blast from the past.

DanniRae Sun 09-Dec-18 15:17:24

Oh Izabella I am bringing homemade lemon drizzle cake too! Sounds like there will be a crowd there so the more cake the merrier, eh?
I'm rather fond of cherry brandy so I hope someone brings a bottle or two.
I've got my outfit all sorted out........blue glitzy top, black sparkly leggings, red metalic knee high boots.........sounds good and looks amazing. No copying now!!!!!!! tchgrin

Doodle Sun 09-Dec-18 15:28:25

Large glasses Rufus certainly not. I drink mine from a bucket ?

Izabella Sun 09-Dec-18 15:53:20

Dont worry DanniRae how about I substitute the lemon drizzle for chocolate cake with fresh cream and kirsch soaked cherries?

Izabella Sun 09-Dec-18 15:57:13

? has anyone thought about transport? Apparently the reindeer will be on box rest.

1974cookie Sun 09-Dec-18 18:09:34

I heard that Rudolph and the gang were moonlighting !
Something about Santa being a bit frugal with the food rations.

Rufus2 Mon 10-Dec-18 08:45:07

Ray Conniff! There’s a blast from the past
Fair Do's girls! Are you saying I'm a "blast from the past?" And what "past" are you from Iza? Not "pasture" use-by date, I hope! tchgrin "Had to look him up", indeed! Millions follow him on You-Tube, including me; he's on my comp as a lovely background all the time. Soothes the savage beast in me, although he's twitching his tail at the moment with all that blasting that's going on!
Would Bert Kaempfert do instead? tchgrin

Rufus2 Mon 10-Dec-18 09:08:05

Large glasses Rufus certainly not. I drink mine from a bucket
Oh dear Doodle! I fear you are almost beyond recall! sad You ain't been brought up proper like what I was. The bucket is for ice into which you plunge your bottles of red, champers, beer, or whatever; a similar bucket + ice is to cool the glasses to avoid lip-burn, although your summer appears to have ended, so no prob. tchsmile
Down Under I suppose you'd be trying to drink it from an Esky assuming you could lift it! Best bet is to fill your bath with red and climb in; probably not a pretty sight. tchgrin wine wine wine

newnanny Mon 10-Dec-18 11:26:22

I will be pop by at some point in the day. We are decorating our tree this evening and I am looking forward to doing it.

Doodle Mon 10-Dec-18 20:11:36

No rufus not an elegant ice bucked I mean one of those huge plastic things. Mind you I quite like the bath idea. ? You are quite right though, it would not be a pretty sight. ?

DanniRae Mon 10-Dec-18 22:14:46

That cake sounds delicious Izabella - especially the kirsch soaked cherries! I can't wait to try some tchsmile

Rufus2 Tue 11-Dec-18 12:04:34

I can tone down to Joe Bonamassa, Groove Armada, Excalibar
Blimey; What are these? Not the 3 wise men surely? Probably sauces for the goose or gander.! tchgrin

EllanVannin Tue 11-Dec-18 15:03:28

3 wise what ?? Heeheeheehee.

Izabella Tue 11-Dec-18 18:59:36

Rufus I have 3 wonderful godchildren who have introduced me to some amazing music over the years. I was forced into classical music studies when young and to be free of such constraints as I grew older has been so liberating. I have an advanced knowledge of musical theory and a love of music. Combined with an openness for new sounds I now have eclectic tastes.

I am an avid traveller and have been introduced to much world music. I learned to play a bath tub in rural America for instance. My only dislike really is Chinese Opera!

Rufus2 Thu 13-Dec-18 08:15:18

3 wise what ?? Heeheeheehee.
EllanVannin. Now! I've already reminded everyone that this is the season of goodwill to all men. tchsmile I suppose that way back when, "wise women" were as scarce as hen's teeth and it proved difficult to gather 3 together. Just as well I suppose! Think of the arguing about which presents to bring! Thankfully, 3 wise men were on hand to save us all! tchgrin

lemongrove Thu 13-Dec-18 14:04:29

How do you play a bathtub Iza other than thumping it?
The real use for a bathtub of course is to keep your coal in it.