Gransnet forums

Christmas

Is tinsel old hat now?

(85 Posts)
Diggingdoris Tue 11-Dec-18 20:49:46

I notice that all the decorated trees in shops, magazines, online etc.are all tinsel free. Also the posh trees seem to be smothered in baubles with no room for tinsel.
What are my fellow gransnetters doing this year?

Witzend Wed 12-Dec-18 08:02:30

None on ours, but plenty of 'icicles', i.e. lametta, which I had to order online this year, couldn't find any in the shops.

Don't think it's really old hat, lots in the shops, and dd has it on her tree. However the style police will be very sniffy, not that we give a rat's a**e what they think!
Here's ours - covered with assorted everything inc. some we've had for donkeys' years.

kittylester Wed 12-Dec-18 08:08:32

Giselle Graham had lametta last year. They might not have it this year as I stockpiled! tchblush

travelsafar Wed 12-Dec-18 08:14:46

Does anyone else love the smell of tinsel!!! lol
Get me in the decoration aisle of a shop and i gravitate towards it, I just love the smell as it reminds me of christmas as a child when we opened the decoration box each year.My husband laughs at me and says, to other people, ''ignore her she's just getting high on the smell of the tinsel''smile

TwiceAsNice Wed 12-Dec-18 08:21:26

No tinsel on the tree. I drape lights, then shiny strings of little red stars in the same way you would tinsel, then the baubles go on. DGD's did it different sizes of red and gold and a few odd sentimental ones that go on every year. However there is tinsel draped on all the pictures, the standard lamp, and the top of the radiator so love it really

Iam64 Wed 12-Dec-18 08:46:12

I've been to two Nativities this year, it was a joy to see that the Angles still have tinsel round their haloes and round their wings.
The dogs have tinsel collars on the Day. I wrap the tinsel around the base of the tree, drape it over mirrors etc. I'm with the lets go overboard on the tack front. We also have tree decorations from the 1950's and stuff made by the children over the years. Who needs style at Christmas?

sodapop Wed 12-Dec-18 09:04:24

Exactly Iam64 it's a time for memories and fun not decor. Of course there is the real Christmas message of peace and goodwill to all, lets not lose sight of that.

Iam64 Wed 12-Dec-18 09:20:16

Yes thanks for mentioning the Christmas message soda pop. Still central for me and many others.

Buffybee Wed 12-Dec-18 09:30:59

The Tree is beautiful with red and gold baubles, and led micro lights and of course red and gold tinsel, which has to be draped horizontally around the tree.
Tinsel draped criss cross around the tree looks messy.
I'm now fully immersed in Christmasness as I went to a Brass Band Concert last night playing Christmas songs and Carols and everyone sang along.

pen50 Wed 12-Dec-18 10:04:37

I like a bit of thin tinsel and there will be some on my tree but I find the thick and lush stuff Too Much.

grandmaz Wed 12-Dec-18 10:07:12

My tree is a bit of a hybrid - I do have one length of silver tinsel draping the very lowest branches, but instead of tinsel for the rest of the tree I use very delicate see through ribbon edged with a line of silver - it's pretty and effective without the 'heaviness' of the tinsel which I used for years when I lived in a larger property, with a larger tree! I saw a tree dressed with ribbon in a shop some years ago and thought how lovely it looked, so pinched the idea!

SueDonim Wed 12-Dec-18 10:22:23

Gosh, you're all decorated early for Christmas! I'm not even thinking about putting up the tree until the weekend at the earliest. I've got new lights this year - I told my Dh I absolutely did need a string of 750. grin

I use tinsel some years. We have a very nice fireplace and sometimes I drape tinsel wrapped round lights along the mantelpiece. My mum was allergic to tinsel, though - how weird is that??

I love lametta but I've given up on it as my cats ate it and the thought of having to pay the vet's bill makes me feel distinctly unfestive.

Choccie123 Wed 12-Dec-18 10:31:10

Tinsel and tat essential here. And I draw the line at “snow “ now though. ( cotton wool ) Anyone put streamers up ?

ReadyMeals Wed 12-Dec-18 10:32:30

Yes it's old hat now but I love it and my xmas tree is smothered with it smile

jenpax Wed 12-Dec-18 10:35:56

I don’t use tinsel either. I like to carefully select my tree decorations and splash out on those I use. I like buying ones from interior and craft shops, and I also buy one each time we go on holiday too as they remind me of happy past times.
My tree also only has white lights.
I have to confess that the tree is one of my especial Christmas joys and I take pride in it looking its best.

Buffybee Wed 12-Dec-18 10:36:36

No streamers!
I'd forgotten about those Choccie.
I've just remembered how they used to rustle when a door was opened and the Mistetoe in the doorway.

elfies Wed 12-Dec-18 10:37:51

Tinsel and tat, baubles in all colours , Merry Christmas in all its gaudy glory in our house

Lilyflower Wed 12-Dec-18 10:41:28

I get criticised by the DD for having coloured lights.

I mean, coloured lights. How vulgar!

SueDonim Wed 12-Dec-18 11:25:16

Crepe paper streamers! My mum bought the paper and my bro and I cut it into strips and made different patterns of streamer. They'd be hung up in my grandads sittingroom, from corner to centre light. He would also meddle about with the central light so he had a string of old-fashioned lights wired in instead. How he didn't die from either falling off a ladder or electrocuting himself, I don't know!

Those lights are back in fashion now, I noticed in the shops. My grandads were like these but with plain glass. www.amazon.co.uk/Multi-Coloured-Christmas-Lights-Lights4fun/dp/B01HS41CLQ?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_1&tag=gransnetforum-21

Diggingdoris Wed 12-Dec-18 11:27:21

Thank you all for your comments. I've just done the tree and put strings of silver beads round instead of tinsel just for a change, but there is still tinsel over pictures and round the feet of the tree.

HannahLoisLuke Wed 12-Dec-18 11:29:21

I haven't used tinsel for years but do still use lametta as it catches the light and twinkles prettily.

However this year I'm having a change from a traditional tree and am using a branch of a twisted hazel decorated just with feathered birds and white lights. Perhaps a dusting of spray on snow.
Still thinking of how to do rest of decorations to go with it.
I do have a twiggy wreath with an owl sitting in it so will use that and hope for inspiration for other stuff.

gillyknits Wed 12-Dec-18 12:26:44

All this talk of tinsel reminds me tha, long before ‘the elf on a shelf’, I had a little bit of tinsel on the top of the kitchen cupboards.( It could just be glimpsed from below.) I used to tell the children that it was a fairy that reported back to Santa about their behaviour. It worked a treat.

sodapop Wed 12-Dec-18 12:48:04

Lilyflower how could you, definitely beyond the pale with your coloured lights tchgrin

Overthehills Wed 12-Dec-18 12:58:38

We’re vulgar here too Lilyflower! Lots of coloured lights everywhere - Christmas is not the time for “good taste”!! My friend even colour coordinated her apron with the table setting! tchgrin

marionk Wed 12-Dec-18 13:01:32

No tinsel, no flamingos, llamas or peacocks, no baby pink decorations, no feathers, no baubles shaped like cacti, Brussels sprouts or avocados, no chocolate advent calendars (apart from the dog’s!)....but despite being so conservative ? the house looks like Santa’s grotto and I love it!?✨⛄️?

grannybuy Wed 12-Dec-18 13:09:37

After two years without a tree, due to temp accommodation while awaiting new build completion, then a horrendous lead up to Christmas last year due to DH's PD dementia, I bought a new tree last week. I still had decorations, but no sign of the tinsel, so have actually been out to buy some.,it seems to 'complete' the look.