Gransnet forums

Christmas

Is tinsel old hat now?

(85 Posts)
Diggingdoris Tue 11-Dec-18 20:49:46

I notice that all the decorated trees in shops, magazines, online etc.are all tinsel free. Also the posh trees seem to be smothered in baubles with no room for tinsel.
What are my fellow gransnetters doing this year?

GabriellaG54 Thu 13-Dec-18 02:45:34

paddyann
You mentioning the talking Santa reminded me of the Big Mouth Billy Bass fish I bought for one of my AC for their first Christmas in their new house. I read that a family member bought one as a joke present for HM the Queen.

Urmstongran Thu 13-Dec-18 08:01:55

I have a Billy Bass fish in the hall! The GC love it! My mum bought it for me years ago. I hadn’t the heart to get rid of it!

eazybee Thu 13-Dec-18 08:10:50

I never liked tinsel and used to have a battle with my daughter when she lived at home, who smothered every thing in it, in all colours.
Now her own tree is unbelievably tasteful, not a strand of tinsel in sight.

hicaz46 Thu 13-Dec-18 08:19:47

I think tinsel is now considered to be like plastic ie it cannot be recycled that is why some people are not using it. But if you’ve already got it why not use it. Personally I hate it, but surely it would be worse for the environment to all throw it away now.

mabon1 Thu 13-Dec-18 18:29:36

Love tinsel, my home is festooned with it for two weeks over Christmas and New Year and I've had it for years.

Nonnatimesfour Thu 13-Dec-18 23:08:56

I do like a little tinsel to add some sparkle, but not on the tree, just on pictures etc. I love our Christmas tree, it is full of nostalgia, it seems to have 'soul' rather than a themed one, ours has numerous different style decorations collected over all the years and lots of home made ones that the children and grandchildren have made and come out every year, with lovely coloured lights and a star on the top, there is just something magical about it.

triciarose Mon 17-Dec-18 15:35:02

Willow500 Your home looks lovely---I would love wallpaper like yours do you know where I could get it?

Greyduster Mon 17-Dec-18 16:24:36

We didn’t have a Billy Bass, but a singing lobster. One year we made our usual Christmas Eve foray to my sister’s house, set it going on the doorstep, rang the bell and hid around the corner. She opened the door, saw this thing waving its claws and singing and collapsed in a giggling heap (I fancy she had started on the sherry without us!).
Our tree is a tasteless assemblage of mismatched ornaments with a thirty seven year old Father Christmas on top who must be getting mightily fed up of having the top branch rammed up the back of his jacket every year. We thought he had absconded this year!

Greyduster Mon 17-Dec-18 16:25:55

And yes! Tinsel!