Gransnet forums

Christmas

Anyone else excited?

(188 Posts)
Tooglamtogiveadamn Wed 19-Dec-18 14:33:42

It’s almost Christmas! I absolutely love Christmas. I love the food, the presents, the music, the lights, the time spent with family... I am, to quote a teenaged relative, “buzzing”, I think that means very excited. Six days and countingtchsmile

oldbatty Wed 19-Dec-18 15:29:41

I didn't have a warmth that never leaves you but something a very very cold which has never left me.

Gonegirl Wed 19-Dec-18 15:32:32

I'm very sorry for you. flowers

BBbevan Wed 19-Dec-18 15:34:05

Not excited as such ,but really looking forward to Christmas. My 2 DGDs, DS, and DiL are coming to stay. Quite a long journey. Plus my Aunt and my DD and SiL who live near us. Most things are prepared. Just more mince pies to make. Then just wait. The anticipation is always worth it
Happy Christmas everyone

oldbatty Wed 19-Dec-18 15:34:54

It's OK Gonegirl, I have sort of worked it out.

Gonegirl Wed 19-Dec-18 15:37:52

Try and create a bit of magic of your own batty. Make an old fashioned paper chain, and bake yourself some mince pies. Do it just for you.

Greyduster Wed 19-Dec-18 15:38:19

Er, no.......

Gonegirl Wed 19-Dec-18 15:39:03

Oh God! I'm starting to sound like the sodding Christmas elf now. hmm

Tooglamtogiveadamn Wed 19-Dec-18 15:39:42

Why not, greyduster?

Gonegirl Wed 19-Dec-18 15:40:18

Why not Greyduster? Is it the stress or the missing of people?

Jane10 Wed 19-Dec-18 15:43:24

It's a pleasant enough time. I'm enjoying all the Christmas lunches etc with various groups and the Panto with DGSs and family. The day itself will be nice. We'll have relays of nieghbours in for drinks over the next few weeks. So yes. It's a nice time but I'm not 'buzzing' just glad of all my friends and family. Can't ask more.

Tooglamtogiveadamn Wed 19-Dec-18 15:51:08

greyduster are you a grinch then?tchgrin

Alima Wed 19-Dec-18 15:57:03

Think you would do my head in Tytgad! This day next week will be Boxing Day, yaaaaa! They will all have gone by then!

Tooglamtogiveadamn Wed 19-Dec-18 16:16:43

alima why don’t you like Christmas? It’s the most wonderful time of the year!

Anniebach Wed 19-Dec-18 16:18:32

No, I can’t get to Midnight Mass , have missed it two years now, can hear on the radio but it’s not the same as sharing with others

Gonegirl Wed 19-Dec-18 16:21:10

I don't think not being excited about Christmas automatically makes you a "grinch". (Silly word anyway) People just like different things. That's ok.

Gonegirl Wed 19-Dec-18 16:23:04

And of course it's not always "the most wonderful time of the year". (Hope you were joking there) Ask any rough sleeper how they feel about it. Or any lonely old person. Stop all this generalising!

oldbatty Wed 19-Dec-18 16:24:49

Why should anybody dictate what is the most wonderful time of the year? My most wonderful is not the same as yours.

grannyqueenie Wed 19-Dec-18 16:27:23

We all approach this time of the year in different ways, according how things are with us or those we care about at the time. Sometimes it’s with excitement and anticipation but other years despite our own best efforts anxiety, sadness, fear or loneliness etc will prevail. There’s nothing worse than compulsory jollity imposed by folk who don’t know the full circumstances. I think we all need to remember that and consider the feelings of others as we go towards Christmas.

Tooglamtogiveadamn Wed 19-Dec-18 16:30:42

You all need to watch Christmas movies!

oldbatty Wed 19-Dec-18 16:32:01

which I detest, along with being told what I need to do.

Gonegirl Wed 19-Dec-18 16:36:47

Christmas movies are nothing to do with the real Christmas. If that's all someone's got, they could be sadly let down.

Gonegirl Wed 19-Dec-18 16:39:11

Good post GrannyQueenie. I do agree with you. Nothing wrong with expressing one's own feelings on the subject, whether good or bad, but don't expect everyone else to feel the same.

M0nica Wed 19-Dec-18 16:40:27

I am another who loves Christmas. In a peripatetic childhood, the one certainty was that Christmas was always the same. No matter what country or climate we were in.

I just love it when, like today, all the lights and decorations are finally all up. The living room smells of pine and the Christmas DVDs and Christmas reading are all out ready for when the visitors arrive.

This year for the first time in 15 years, DD is no longer working shifts, so instead of arriving home at 2.00am Christmas morning and being dozy on the day and rushing back home on the 27th. She has a nice regular job with 9.00 - 5.00 hours and the office closes on Friday until 2 January. She has chosen to spend the whole break with us and will be with us the whole time her brother and family are with us and not just passing in the night.

I am really looking forward to it and really excited.

Gonegirl Wed 19-Dec-18 16:41:21

And now I am going to make the marzipan for my cake, which I should have done at least a fortnight ago. And I am actually looking forward to eating the trimmings.

MissAdventure Wed 19-Dec-18 16:41:38

I have adverts for Christmas nights out which include dancing, now.
Imagine! Dancing.. party