Gransnet forums

Christmas

Are you running round in circles?

(74 Posts)
grandtanteJE65 Thu 20-Dec-18 14:17:47

I feel as if I am. Telling myself to stop it, doesn't help. Perhaps if some of you ladies, tell me to stop running around like a hen with its head off, it will work.

It's completely ridiculous, as my Christmas baking, shopping and cleaning is finished, my cards and e-mails are written and sent and tomorrow we will buy and put up the tree, so we are bang on track with all Christmas preparations.

Apart from the tree, all that is left is to wrap three presents. You would think I could manage that without getting into a right state, wouldn't you?

Niobe Mon 07-Jan-19 09:17:28

All done now Ladies! No need to fret over it for at least 10 months! wine

khamase9 Mon 07-Jan-19 02:32:33

Well! I did not try it.

annep Mon 24-Dec-18 04:26:13

You sound so relaxed. I shall have to take a leaf out of your book Jalima!

Jalima1108 Sun 23-Dec-18 23:02:01

It's all the rushing around enjoying myself this week that has exhausted me!
I fell asleep in the chair watching a programme which I was enjoying so now I won't be able to sleep when I go up the wooden hills to Bedfordshire.
tchhmm

annep Sat 22-Dec-18 21:14:19

Good idea Jalima. For me too.
I don't do a special clean especially if no one is coming. And as someone else said whats the point. clean afterwards.
I an definitely more disorganised. I think maybe we slow down but don't realise it. I'm actually in bed now. Christmas day is lovely but the pre Christmas is exhausting.

Jalima1108 Sat 22-Dec-18 12:25:32

Time to just say dont be rude
Perhaps not at Christmas annep but it could be a New Year's Resolution?

I am becoming less organised the older I get. However, I don't know why I am cleaning, washing, etc because we won't even be here!

ReadyMeals Sat 22-Dec-18 10:13:31

I tidy but don't clean particularly before xmas. The place will be filthy after xmas anyway with grandkids and cake. After putting away the decorations I feel as if I can breathe again and tend to get motivated for a decent cleanup.

Lyndylou Sat 22-Dec-18 10:04:38

It's not so much getting in a tizz, or getting overstressed. It's more that I want to have a good fettle of the house before I put up the tree and I will be happy once it is all done and then I can relax Xmas day when everyone is here. However, as I hate the thought of housework and cleaning, I have to get in the right mood and move myself up a gear to get motivated. So I will be a little stressed until its all done, it's that feeling of stress that gets me started.

A bit of rock music would help get me going, but OH is down with a bad cold, so that means he will be too ill to help but not ill enough to go to bed and he will sit in the living room watching my every move and throwing out helpful remarks like "I don't know why you are bothering, Xxxx will not notice". Now that will make me stressed. hmm

ReadyMeals Sat 22-Dec-18 09:50:55

I used to be quite nifty with the lists, spreadsheets, and planning ahead. Sadly, my children took after their father, and are disorganised and can change plans at one day's notice. For example, when I first started planning this year, my daughter was coming on xmas eve and leaving on xmas day. Then it was changed to leaving on boxing day, and then more recently to come on 23rd and leave on xmas day. Then finally I brought the bar down on the last plan plus the stay till boxing day. It was one change too many for me, too close to the event.

Kim19 Sat 22-Dec-18 08:31:03

I'm a spreadsheet girl too. Once done, works indefinitely. Efficient? Hope so. Lazy? Undoubtedly.

annep Sat 22-Dec-18 08:12:31

I would not say I've done my best sorry. Jalima. Time to just say dont be rude. But I too walk on eggshells with daughter MissAdventure And I blame myself but its easier than arguing. Its comforting to know I'm not alone.

justwokeup Sat 22-Dec-18 01:05:09

Readymeals that is also the story of my year exactly, re kitchen fitting! You are amazing. Actually it isn't finished yet, still got to paint. No, we are NOT painting before Christmas, done that before too many times. I'm getting more slapdash relaxed about the whole thing.

glammagran Sat 22-Dec-18 00:47:24

Thanks, yes I’ll slap my smile on. I’m very non confrontational and youngest daughter whilst very assertive is very laid back

Jalima1108 Sat 22-Dec-18 00:36:58

glammagran just smile and say thank you for the puddings - let them sort it out between them. If she says anything about the house just say 'this is a home; if it's not clean enough for you, I'm sorry, I've done my best and there's the vacuum/bathroom cleaner/scrubbing brush etc and keep a big tchsmile plastered on your face!

MissAdventure Sat 22-Dec-18 00:01:10

You're not alone in the old "walking on eggshells" game, glamma.
I understand that its easiest to just keep the peace though.
Hope your festive celebrations are peaceful..

glammagran Fri 21-Dec-18 23:57:18

Half the time I’m too “scared” to text or phone her - it’s always the wrong time. She can be very caustic. It’s not just us. Its everyone else too. My main task is ensuring she and stepfather (DH) don’t get into a row. Just trying to get her to organise desserts was a nightmare. Youngest daughter has a severe nut allergy so they were texting back and forth regarding suitable pudding. How hard can it be?

MissAdventure Fri 21-Dec-18 23:39:11

Don't allow her to voice her fault finding to you then.
It would be just as easy to question why someone feels the need for a show home, but most people have manners enough not to voice their opinions.
It might be time for your daughter to learn some.
I'm not getting at you, by the way, but I'm always reading how bloody rude adult children can be, and it really gets on my wick! thanks

glammagran Fri 21-Dec-18 23:34:50

Last year we were on my DH’s start of his retirement cruise. Sigh! This year cooking for 9. I have my elder daughter and family, SIL’s parents - they are great friends! Youngest daughter and partner plus newish baby. Will miss son and family but will see them for New Year. My main problem is eldest daughter’s very exacting standards. She thinks I’m an utter slob, I truly I’m not. I’ve scrubbed every inch of the house but she’ll find fault somewhere. She does live in a “show home” - I couldn’t.

annep Fri 21-Dec-18 23:06:59

I don't have anyone for Christmas day. We are usually alone. Going to son's this year. Usually have people on boxing day.
About 3 weeks before Christmas I make a card list, present list, and a list of what needs done tick things off and revise it regularly. (ie wrap and deliver presents, buy food, put up decorations, write/post cards, hairdresser)
Food is from Marks.
I don't do a huge clean or shop. I clean every week. That's good enough. No point in overstressing.
Tree isn't up yet. So.......
If you have everything done and you're still stressed try some meditation. You need to relax.

M0nica Fri 21-Dec-18 21:23:48

Precisely!

Urmstongran Fri 21-Dec-18 20:12:10

Me neither MOnica. I set the bar nice and low so that I can always hop over it!

M0nica Fri 21-Dec-18 19:44:52

I have been up to London for the day, to have lunch out and go to a matinee show in the afternoon. We had a lovely time and a nice journey back. To morrow I will be at Waitrose at 7.30, the farm supplying the turkey just after 8.00, the pork butcher for the gammon around 8.30, ending up at the bakery at 9.00, where we will have coffee and a bacon sarnie in the cafe. Home by 10.00 and, apart from icing the cake, I can relax for the rest of the day.

There is not a shred of Early English Martyr in my make-up. I have never understood the love affair so many women have with guilt.

Urmstongran Fri 21-Dec-18 18:11:50

Love Mabon1 comments! She shoots from the hip doesn’t she?

Nanny41 Fri 21-Dec-18 18:05:31

I was having a lovely day until my Hairdresser rang to say she wasnt well and had to go home, she booked me in for Thursday next week AFTER Christmas, when I thought things couldnt get any worse,I collected our post looking for Christmas cards and there was a big fine to be paid for a parking fine I had paid but they wouldnt hear of it, so £60 gone from my not too huge bank account, better to pay immediately I thought,just waiting for the third disaster today then I can sleep well tonight.I have wrapped all my christmas presents so thats positive I suppose.

Lynker Fri 21-Dec-18 17:27:41

I've just got in from delivering presents and my newly decorated study is full of plastic gluttering and associated fittings.....I think my DH has decided to replace and repair the leaks I mentioned last winter!!!