Gransnet forums

Christmas

Are you running round in circles?

(73 Posts)
grandtanteJE65 Thu 20-Dec-18 14:17:47

I feel as if I am. Telling myself to stop it, doesn't help. Perhaps if some of you ladies, tell me to stop running around like a hen with its head off, it will work.

It's completely ridiculous, as my Christmas baking, shopping and cleaning is finished, my cards and e-mails are written and sent and tomorrow we will buy and put up the tree, so we are bang on track with all Christmas preparations.

Apart from the tree, all that is left is to wrap three presents. You would think I could manage that without getting into a right state, wouldn't you?

Teetime Thu 20-Dec-18 14:27:29

You sound dehydrated to me - have a gin or something.

Elrel Thu 20-Dec-18 14:45:20

Take deep breaths and especially, breathe out s l o w l y!
You sound as if you're doing fine.

Bridgeit Thu 20-Dec-18 14:53:02

I think it’s an age thing, I won’t say stressed,but I certainly don’t feel as chilled & organised as I was in the past.
And then I get cross with myself,it’s ridiculous but good excuse for a festive tot????⛄️Merry Christmas to all ?

BlueBelle Thu 20-Dec-18 15:00:28

No I m not I feel quite relaxed it’s only a blooming day, well two what’s the fuss ?

M0nica Thu 20-Dec-18 15:51:16

50 years of organising Christmas and my trusty spread sheet and I am unstressed and under control.

Kateykrunch Thu 20-Dec-18 16:58:05

Dont like to be the bearer of bad news, but, if you have already cleaned, it will need doing again, its 5 days to go you know!, there is sure to be sock fluff. As for shopping, yes its done but the delivery of short date stuff means I need to shop again! I like the idea of a spreadsheet M0nica, what headings do I need? I have lists, which I either forget to look at or I ignore. Last year, due to illness, I thought I may not be around for this one, so I took photos of my tree and decorations which was really handy to look at for this year as everything got put up again this year in more of less the same place (who would know) and Yay, I’m still here, so I am taking it all in my stride and trying to chill brrrrrrr, I mean be relaxed about it. Happy days everyone x

Telly Thu 20-Dec-18 18:41:09

Well just wrap those last gifts and sit back and enjoy. Seems you have everything covered. I think a last minute panic adds to the sense of it, then there is always that moment on Christmas Eve when the shops have actually shut and it really doesn't matter if you have forgot something! I am saving on the cleaning till the weekend though! Have a great time.

Gonegirl Thu 20-Dec-18 18:48:40

Lol at Kateykrunch and her sock fluff. grin Good idea about taking photos. I spend too much exhausting time standing round deciding where to put things.

paddyann Thu 20-Dec-18 19:19:59

I dont usually stress about Christmas but dont speak to me on Hogmanay until the last floor has been washed the last window cleaned the fingerprints wiped off the doors and the food and drinks laid out ofr midnight.

I AM my mothers daughter and have been found in floods of tears if anyone gets in the way of the big Hogmanay clean..its traditional you know in Scotland .I remember the year my sister died mid december and OH decided to decorate our main bathroom to keep himself busy and cheer me up.Well...he ran out of wallpaper and I howled for hours thinking of the bad luck coming to us because everything wasn't perfect.Christmas is a joy compared to New Year.Happy 2019 to all .

M0nica Thu 20-Dec-18 19:59:19

Katy present lists stocking list, menu plan, shopping list, budget and diary for making cake pudding etc week by week from beginning of November onwards. Keep it on the computer, add notes about what needs to be bought for next year, ie wrapping paper, bows, labels, I do not need to buy these every year as I unwrap presents slowly and carefully and re-use the paper (and the bows). Then next October when I flash it up again I am ready to run.

Prep the whole meal on Christmas Eve, including stuffing, par-cooking potatoes and parsnips and preparing sprouts. pigs in blankets (if you have them, we don't). Have a Christmas Day time table: turkey in around 8 or 9 and then no need to go into the kitchen until midday when potatoes and stuffing go in oven and so on, aiming to eat between 1.00 - 2.00. I absolutely refuse to ruin my Christmas day by being cook and bottle washer all day. An hour or so I can manage, but no more.

I am fairly low key on cleaning. How much really needs to be done? I will clean the kitchen and vaguely dust and hoover the downstairs rooms on Sunday morning. The visitors bedrooms were done yesterday and the doors shut. Including changing the bedding, it took about an hour. I will then not do any cleaning again until well into January when the decorations will be packed and away and we have been away for a week.

lemongrove Thu 20-Dec-18 20:03:01

You were joking about spread sheets Monica surely?tchgrin

M0nica Thu 20-Dec-18 20:11:59

No, I drew it up about 30 years ago. Nothing changes very much from year to year and it saves me so much blood sweat and tears every Christmas, because I do not have to think about Christmas, because I thought about it 30 years ago.

As someone said efficiency is another word for laziness.

lemongrove Thu 20-Dec-18 20:31:36

Are you sure they said that?

grannyactivist Thu 20-Dec-18 20:48:42

I was slap bang in the middle of 'the big pre-Christmas clean', but I had to suspend operations in order to go and do the 'big Christmas shop'. I just spent £180 tchshock at the supermarket. Right now The Wonderful Man is living up to his name and unpacking the shopping and I'm sitting down in a state of exhaustion awaiting the cup of tea he promised to bring me. The vacuum cleaner is in the middle of the room (only half the carpet got done before I needed to get to the shops), the dusting and polishing things are still adorning the coffee table, and tomorrow I need to finish up the housework early. I was supposed to be having a day off, but a local shop has very kindly organised a huge raffle on behalf of the little charity I work with and so I've been asked to be present for the draw. Afterwards I need to dash back to get the tree decorated - it's currently outside in the rain(!) - before the first of my children and grandchildren arrive for dinner. Oh yes - I need to sort out fresh bedding too. And have the dressing on my back changed. And ensure anything at toddler height is re-positioned............, but once the family arrive tomorrow I shall get into the spirit of the season. tchgrin

lemongrove Thu 20-Dec-18 20:52:39

......or, GrannyA you could just relax, and do none of those things.Or, you could get your DH to do some of them for you. Hristmas will arrive and be enjoyable without everything having to be perfect.

lemongrove Thu 20-Dec-18 20:53:30

Hristmas.....Christmas. My iPad seems to hate C’s and misses them out.

Pythagorus Thu 20-Dec-18 21:17:46

I used to get stressed...... but that was when I tried doing everything myself, down to frosting the grapes! Lol! Now I have a cleaner, do online shopping, never make mince pies, Christmas cake or puds ...... just buy them. Ready made custard ...... get the picture? Buy gifts online. I am so much more relaxed about things and have more time to see friends for lunches before Christmas ...... I love the run up to Christmas, playing carols, decorating the house, meeting friends, seeing family. My tip is delegate as much as you can and take all the short cuts. Cheers!

Witzend Fri 21-Dec-18 08:25:32

I'm much more organised than usual, largely because dd , SiL and very little Gdcs will be arriving tomorrow for several days, so did not want the usual last-minute-img, frantic wrapping up at midnight on Christmas Eve, etc.

Still various stuff to do - beds, some food prep/shopping, but I must say I feel a bit weird, having so much under control for once! For the first time ever I've made stuffing and pigs in blankets in advance, and put them in the freezer. I'm now making the most of the relative calm before the bedlam!

GeorgieKay Fri 21-Dec-18 09:04:40

You all sound wonderfully organised (unlike me confused ) so relax and enjoy it !

123coco Fri 21-Dec-18 10:16:13

What a stupid thing to be running around in circles for. Everything is done It’s not like you have to sit an exam. My feelings are , get a grip!!

farview Fri 21-Dec-18 10:16:59

Was getting stressed but just took the reins and gave myself a good talking to... because of childminding grandchildren..and other commitments can't do big food shop until Monday so expecting a nightmare there aaagh!! Going to go as soon as they open ..6a.m I think..once that's done... total relaxation hmmm?

ReadyMeals Fri 21-Dec-18 10:25:45

KateyKrunch your mention of short sell-by dates makes me think of one possible up-side of brexit - maybe food manufacturers will be allowed to start putting preservatives in food again. Does anyone remember the days it was ok to keep opened salad cream and ketchup in the cupboard for months opened?

inishowen Fri 21-Dec-18 10:44:40

I have not wrapped all the gifts as some are still on their way from Amazon. The food isn't ordered as I'm going to Tesco tomorrow to do a big shop. I had a new kitchen fitted this week and the fitter only left on Tuesday. You can imagine the chaos of that. Hubby is decorating ,making a big mess of the childrens playroom, so upstairs is a chaotic. Added to that, my daughter found out a few weeks ago that her husband has been having an affair. She has thrown him out but the fall out is horrendous for all of us. I would love to relax and enjoy Christmas but I feel like i will explode with stress.

ReadyMeals Fri 21-Dec-18 10:46:00

omg inishowen just cancel christmas! I would!