Gransnet forums

Christmas

My best present to myself

(95 Posts)
MawBroon Fri 21-Dec-18 10:16:48

OK perhaps I need to get out more, but the “present to myself” which has given me most pleasure was to have my range cooker restored to looking like new last weekend after 3 hours’ attention from Ovenu (other firms are available)
£135 for the 4 ovens, all the shelves and linings, fan, glass doors, new lights, seven burners - money well spent!
(I do have a sneaky delivery from the Sahara sale due today mind you)

Maggiemaybe Sun 23-Dec-18 15:04:32

Some of my presents for DH have (completely coincidentally, of course wink) turned out to be presents for myself as well. The trip to Paris and the tickets to lunch at Gordon Ramsay’s spring to mind.

Grammaretto Sun 23-Dec-18 15:35:56

Maggiemaybe ?

Emelle Sun 23-Dec-18 15:48:40

I have signed up to walk 1000 miles in 2019 so have treated myself to a new pair of Hiking Boots and the nicest pair of walking trousers I have ever had. That's Christmas and my New Year's Resolution in one go.

Coolgran65 Sun 23-Dec-18 16:00:59

My best present to myself .... A divorce from my first husband ?

gillyjp Sun 23-Dec-18 16:38:55

I'm currently hankering after a loo with a built in bidet and a seat warming function. Quite pricey but I know it would be a very welcome present to myself. Would have to get it fitted properly as electrics would be needed as well as plumbing expertise.

Legs55 Sun 23-Dec-18 16:44:26

I must investigate having my oven cleaned as a post Christmas treat, I can't get down on the floor to clean mine, I also want to treat myself to a combi microwave, easy to use & clean & uses less electricity.

My treats to myself tend to be practical but anything that makes my life easierthlsmile is a bonus

GabriellaG54 Sun 23-Dec-18 16:49:34

GrannyGravy13
Are all 3 bathrooms used daily? shock

GabriellaG54 Sun 23-Dec-18 16:52:25

Hm999
'Sitting', as we are always being told by posters on MailOnline.

MawBroon Sun 23-Dec-18 17:09:11

As far as I'm concerned, (I'm a grandma, despite user name) oven cleaning is a "present to the household ". (Whatever size the household may be.) "A present to myself" would be something utterly personal - and for me, me, me

Well since Paw died my household is me, myself and me.
And something which saves me half a day’s skivvying on my hands and knees with a rotator cuff injury and much weakened right arm is utterly personal. Is better than personal hmm

Lilylilo Sun 23-Dec-18 17:18:20

I'm another Ovenu fan. I have my oven cleaned by them in January every year. And I always buy myself a really good perfume with a tiny annual lump sum (£85) from my pension, which I get every January.

50ShadesofGreyMatter Sun 23-Dec-18 19:48:10

I've bought myself a new apartment for Christmas ???

Barmeyoldbat Sun 23-Dec-18 20:11:23

After years of problems with my teeth due to a medical condition I treated myself to the best present ever, a complete set of upper teeth and implants, cost a fortune great deal of time but it was worth it. Even been complimented by a complete stranger on my beautiful teeth.

GabriellaG54 Sun 23-Dec-18 20:24:24

I often see older people (actors/ presenters/slebs) on tv with pearly white even gnashers which obvs don't match the rest of them.
Now, face, bum and tum lifts, blepharoplasty, hand plumping and age spot removal to go with pearly whites, might be the perfect present. winkgrin

MawBroon Sun 23-Dec-18 20:26:43

You are a right little ray of sunshine GabriellaG aren’t you?

Can’t resist an opportunity for a put down

GabriellaG54 Sun 23-Dec-18 20:52:50

Oh!shock
Have you not noticed?
I do, all the time when watching tv programmes, not so much in real life as, where I live, we rarely wear make-up and certainly no BOTOX, lip plumping, short skirts or stilettos.
Plain country looks.
I just find it odd to see someone with a halogen headlight grin and the rest doesn't match. Like having your face done but your arms and hands are saggy. Just my observations.

Barmeyoldbat Sun 23-Dec-18 21:42:39

Well thanks for that GabriellaG54 but my teeth are not pearly white but very natural looking, hence the cost, and were done purely because of a medical condition and the need to have teeth.

MawBroon Sun 23-Dec-18 21:50:20

I think barmeyoldbat deserves an apology for your crass rudeness. You judge and criticise without knowing what you are talking about.
“Halogen headlight grin” - whatvare you talking about?.
Such an insular attitude belongs in a previous generation

Barmeyoldbat Sun 23-Dec-18 21:57:20

What would does she have today about people wearing wigs when they have had chemo?

Maggiemaybe Sun 23-Dec-18 22:23:16

Good for you, Barmeyoldbat. thanks I bet your teeth look fabulous.

Maggiemaybe Sun 23-Dec-18 22:31:45

I once complimented a young woman on her gorgeous thick hair and she was so pleased. It was a hair system, as she suffered from alopecia and was virtually bald. It made my day to have made hers!

etheltbags1 Sun 23-Dec-18 22:34:50

I rooted around the charity shop and got me a pile of books for 3 quid in case santa forgets.☺

Ameliarose Sun 23-Dec-18 22:38:25

Why didn't she use her own oven
Pork makes quite a mess ?

Grammaretto Sun 23-Dec-18 22:55:05

etheltbags1 what a good idea!
Between Christmas and New year there's often more time to read and relax.

Ameliarose Sun 23-Dec-18 22:59:00

I always buy myself a Christmas present, thinking at leaast I'll get one thing I like .Now Mr P is no longer with us .I buy a present for me from him

GabriellaG54 Sun 23-Dec-18 23:48:51

Wow!! Keep your hair on MawBroon
I wasn't referring to Barmyoldbat directly, the thought just came to me of those make-over programmes where people have a mouthful of teeth fitted in a day and from there my thoughts flitted to the number of presenters/celebs etc who have dental work done, especially whitening (which Barmyoldbat did not mention)
I referred to the whitening of teeth as a 'halogen headlight grin' as halogen headlights blind you. Megawatt smile.
Some tv and film people pay great attention to their faces and teeth but the rest has been left to old father time is given little thought.
If I offended anyone, it was certainly not my intention.