Gransnet forums

Christmas

Festival of Lessons and Carols from Kings

(33 Posts)
MawBroon Mon 24-Dec-18 16:02:56

Oh what happy memories this brings back
Finishing off baking mince pies, Paw home from work, parents or parents in law arriving for Christmas, children barely containing their excitement.
The opening bars of “Once in Royal David’s City “ has me (yet again) in tears
But what I realise is that I practically know it all off by heart, the readings as well as carols.
May these traditions never die out,and let Christmas begin!

Witzend Tue 12-Nov-19 17:05:30

This afternoon, while sorting out a backlog of horrible paperwork, I departed from my 'no carols before 1st December' rule and listened to King's College choir singing In The Bleak Midwinter' courtesy of YouTube.

It does feel quite bleak and midwinter-ish here today, too.

Grandma70s Tue 12-Nov-19 18:20:53

Which tune, though, for In The Bleak Midwinter? I did it for an audition, and the choirmaster said “The Holst or the Darke?” Luckily I knew.

Witzend Tue 12-Nov-19 21:58:22

Had to go back to YouTube and check, Grandma70s - it was Darke. In fact I like both tunes equally - used to sing both at school, ditto 2 versions of O Little Town of Bethlehem, and I dare say others I've forgotten about.

One we sang at school, which you rarely hear, is Three Kings from Persian Lands Afar. Beautiful descant in the 2nd verse, but alas only the two verses.

EllanVannin Tue 12-Nov-19 22:04:46

Witzend, I played the Three Kings one on youtube yesterday as we sang it at school in the early 50's and as you say, it's rarely heard. A lovely carol.

Greyduster Wed 13-Nov-19 07:43:57

Much as I love Holst, Harold Darke’s version is the only one for me. This year, my carol of choice will be Bob Chilcott’s “The Shepherd’s Carol”. It is lovely; haunting.

JackyB Wed 13-Nov-19 09:35:37

I am in tears here just reading about it. Although Germany is supposed to be great for Christmas, to be honest, their Christmas Carols are all terrible dirges.

When "The First Nowell" was introduced in our choir, I couldn't sing it for sobbing. It has since come out every year amongst the other, German, carols. Admittedly, the little old dears in the pews are probably moved to tears singing their traditional hymns; it's the memories that count.

My DS2 did a term at the choir school in Ely whilst training to be a music and English teacher and I got to go to the Carol service there that year. It was breathtaking - especially the drive there early in the morning. (I did that again a couple of weeks ago when my sister took me to Ely station to catch a train). Coming round that bend and seeing the Cathedral in the bright sunshine and snow that Christmas was awe inspiring.

Scuse me while I fetch a tissue....

Witzend Wed 13-Nov-19 09:51:52

Not surprised you need a tissue, JackyB! Must have been a wonderful experience - snow and all!

At school we used to sing various foreign and Latin carols and they're still favourites, particularly Il est ne le divin enfant, Personent Hodie, and the Zither Carol (though in English since I think it's Czech.). I actually have that in my Easy Carols for piano book and always found it the hardest! A lovely one, though.
Oh, and at school, Silent Night in German.