Gransnet forums

Christmas

Tackling the turkey leftovers!

(73 Posts)
merlotgran Thu 27-Dec-18 09:22:59

DD has pulled her usual 'fast one' of disappearing on Boxing Day to stay with friends but not until she'd dumped the remains of a far too large for six turkey on our kitchen table with a cheery, 'Here you go, Mum.' hmm

I did question her decision to spend over £30 on one meal when the DGSs are now in Northern Ireland visiting their dad so there's nobody but DH and me to face the leftovers but she didn't come up on the down train and knows full well that my 'never waste food' ethos will kick in and when she returns home in the NY there will be a neat stack of Chinese takeaway cartons containing soup and pie fillings in the freezer.

I think her parting words were, 'Thanks, Mum. I know you love doing it!' hmm

Good job we haven't made plans for today.

Fennel Thu 27-Dec-18 12:49:00

The last time I cooked a turkey it was a small black one, only about 5kg when plucked etc.
So there wasn't much left over. Mostly for one meal, cold with bubble and squeak, then boiled up the carcasse for soup.

Grammaretto Thu 27-Dec-18 12:59:00

I never eat turkey as I've been vegetarian for over 30 years. However I cooked one which was eaten and has now been scavenged so there's a carcass left with parsley stuffing still inside. I came on here hoping for ideas. I am tempted to bin it now but the idea of curry came up and other carnivores are coming for supper. I could do a veg curry for me and turkey for the guests.
If I put it in the freezer there is no way it will ever come out.
Thanks.

sue01 Thu 27-Dec-18 13:14:30

By an odd set of circumstances, I ended up in Sainsbury's yesterday. They had reduced Norfolk Bronze and Black Turkeys... all sorts of sizes... from £50 to a tenner... and from £30 to £6. Broke my heart I only had room in the freezer for a tiddler !

Riverwalk Thu 27-Dec-18 13:26:07

Gramaretto how can you do a vegetarian curry for you from a turkey carcass?

Or for that matter, a curry for the meat eaters from a carcass that has been 'scavenged'?

Caro57 Thu 27-Dec-18 13:38:50

We had pork, which has all been consumed. However I did extra veg and roasties; they are now liquidised with the left over gravy and I have portions of ‘brown soup’ in the freezer ready for later - I have done this including the turkey in previous years.

merlotgran Thu 27-Dec-18 13:44:42

Phew! Turkathon is more or less over:

Four different flavoured soups, stock, turkey and ham pie filling plus packs of sliced and diced meat all in the freezer. Tonight I'll do something with pre-cursed gammon.

That's it for another year. grin

Grannynise Thu 27-Dec-18 13:52:15

I froze left over turkey last Christmas and threw it away a week ago. Guess what we didn't have for Christmas lunch this year?

Jalima1108 Thu 27-Dec-18 13:55:06

Well done merlot!

Turkey and ham pie - mmmm sounds delicious.
Perhaps I'll make one tonight
We have more ham than turkey left over.

grandtanteJE65 Thu 27-Dec-18 14:05:30

I usually mince leftover meat for shepherd's pie or stovies and boil up the carcase for soup. What do the rest of you do?

BBbevan Thu 27-Dec-18 14:10:38

DS and family have gone home today with a big box of ' stuff'. 1 cooked turkey crown ( I bought 2) Half of a large ham, half a Christmas cake and various unopened boxes of chocolates. That said we have enough to last us a few more days. We are having cold meat, baked potatoes and veg for tea plus the last of the Boxing Day trifle.
We have to have turkey crowns as DH has a thing about turkey carcasses. His Mum used to make a wonderful turkey soup though

merlotgran Thu 27-Dec-18 14:24:23

I clicked on the turkey leftover recipes on the Gransnet homepage and I must say I like the look of the Spicy turkey, bean and tomato soup.

Maybe next week? grin

Jalima1108 Thu 27-Dec-18 14:29:36

The Twelve days of Turkey

On the first day of Christmas my true love said to me I'm glad we've bought a turkey and a proper Christmas tree.

On the second day of Christmas much laughter could be heard, as we tucked into our turkey - a most delicious bird.

On the third day of Christmas we had friends in from next door. The turkey tasted just as good as on the day before.

On the fourth day of Christmas Gran came, she's rather old. We finished up the Christmas pud and ate the turkey cold.

On the fifth day of Christmas outside the snowflakes flurried. But we were nice and warm inside - we ate the turkey curried.

On the sixth day of Christmas the turkey spirit died. The children fought and bickered and we ate the turkey fried.

On the seventh day of Christmas my true love gave a wince. When we sat down to dinner and was given turkey mince.

On the eight day of Christmas the dog ran off for shelter. I served up turkey pancakes and a glass of Alka Seltzer.

On the ninth day of Christmas poor Dad began to cry. He said he couldn't stand the strain of eating turkey pie.

On the tenth day of Christmas the air was rather blue. And everybody grumbled at eating turkey stew.

On the eleventh day of Christmas the Christmas tree was moulting. Mince pies as hard as rock and the turkey quite revolting.

On the twelfth day of Christmas at last Dad smacked his lips. The guests had gone, the turkey too - we dined on fish and chips.

Author unknown.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 27-Dec-18 14:42:00

I am eating a mince pie, and a slice of Christmas cake (all home made) the turkey curry is simmering nicely. We have one complete breast leftover which I may freeze.

I actually like ?

GrannyGravy13 Thu 27-Dec-18 14:43:24

Oops forgot to add that we were not here on Christmas Day, but I bought a turf rom our local butchers for cold meat and leftovers!

M0nica Thu 27-Dec-18 16:07:29

What does it matter how big the turkey is and how few are there on Christmas day, surely you all have freezers?

Work out how much will be needed for the next few days then dismantle the turkey, wrap it up in portion size packages, depending on family size. I wrap up portions for two and put them in the freezer to be used in a variety of meals over the next few months, then put the carcass in a big pan with water and a few veg and simmer for two hours to make stock, portion that up and freeze for later use for soup or gravy.

What to do with left over sprouts? Freeze, slice and fry in butter with parmesan cheese. Put in turkey stock to make soup or...

... make Christmas Pie. Put in a pie dish all the bits left over from Christmas day: turkey, ham, sausagemeat, stuffing, roast potatoes, parsnips and sprouts. Make a thick gravy from turkey stock to cover, cover with pastry and bake.

DS and family will arrive soon and we have a second present opening tomorrow. As I cannot do another turkey lunch I asked DGC what they would like and with one accord they shouted 'Christmas Pie', so that is what we will have, although I did have to roast extra potatoes specially as all the Christmas day potatoes were consumed.

Daisyboots Thu 27-Dec-18 16:10:38

So jealous of your left over turkey carcasses. With our alternative Christmas out here no turkey was purchased . I managed to walk around Lidl last week and they had a few fresh turkeys. I asked my DH if I could buy one but the answer was no because we were eating out Christmas day. He is not keen on turkey. Next year I am determined to do Christmas dinner if I can find sprouts, parsnips and swede somewhere. One year my DDIL cooked a marvellous Christmas dinner for the whole family but I was mortifued when she threw the carcass in the bin because it had been sitting on the counter top for two hours. I would have taken it home and used all of it for different meals. I love turkey stew.

GabriellaG54 Thu 27-Dec-18 16:21:37

Jalima1108
Was the 'Anon' really you?
Whoever penned it, it was hilarious really really funny.
Thanks. grin

Jalima1108 Thu 27-Dec-18 16:29:21

No, it wasn't me GabriellaG54 - in fact I had heard it only a couple of weeks ago so looked it up on google.

The typos weren't mine either wink

Jalima1108 Thu 27-Dec-18 16:31:20

I am not a great poet

Grammaretto Thu 27-Dec-18 16:38:18

Riverwalk I can assure you I will create a turkey curry from the leftovers plus an altogether different dish - a vegetable curry for myself and everyone else -.sorry if that wasn't clear.
I loved the 12 days of turkey. Jalima1108

merlotgran Thu 27-Dec-18 16:44:46

I don't think M0nica quite gets the cry for help light hearted gist of this thread. grin

merlotgran Thu 27-Dec-18 16:45:56

Love the poem, Jalima grin

ClaraB Thu 27-Dec-18 16:50:23

Fabulous Jalima1108 My mother-in-law and I have cracked up over this.

sarahellenwhitney Thu 27-Dec-18 17:12:46

Never had turkey always a Capon .

marga Thu 27-Dec-18 17:39:12

hi live in canada what is a turkey crown we can buy a turkey roast with stuffing in the middle or... a turkey roast as is. i did a turkey for four it was 7 kg or 11 pounds good one