Gransnet forums

Christmas

Tackling the turkey leftovers!

(73 Posts)
merlotgran Thu 27-Dec-18 09:22:59

DD has pulled her usual 'fast one' of disappearing on Boxing Day to stay with friends but not until she'd dumped the remains of a far too large for six turkey on our kitchen table with a cheery, 'Here you go, Mum.' hmm

I did question her decision to spend over £30 on one meal when the DGSs are now in Northern Ireland visiting their dad so there's nobody but DH and me to face the leftovers but she didn't come up on the down train and knows full well that my 'never waste food' ethos will kick in and when she returns home in the NY there will be a neat stack of Chinese takeaway cartons containing soup and pie fillings in the freezer.

I think her parting words were, 'Thanks, Mum. I know you love doing it!' hmm

Good job we haven't made plans for today.

Gagagran Sat 29-Dec-18 17:44:17

It was the day after Boxing Day - I am all at sixes and sevens with my days this week!

Gagagran Sat 29-Dec-18 17:43:22

I am not a lover of turkey so wasn't sorry when we didn't have it at DD's on Christmas Day. She did guinea fowl with all the usual accompaniments to a Christmas dinner, and it was really delicious. I would say it tasted like a cross between chicken and pheasant. And it felt special.

We are just back from DS's and he did a whole baked salmon on Boxing Day with new potatoes, mange tous and petit pois. We enjoyed that too and the apple pie and custard he did for afters.

It was very nice to be catered for this year and both my DS and DD are excellent cooks so we had some lovely and much-appreciated meals.

dizzyblonde Sat 29-Dec-18 16:34:34

I’m currently tucking into a turkey sandwich, there is still one slice left for DH when he comes back from golf. We.ve had in sandwiches and a pie and the dogs enjoyed the scrabby bits off the carcass. Not a morsel has been wasted, I’m truly my Mother’s daughter.?

EllanVannin Sat 29-Dec-18 16:27:48

Mine's in the bin----I won't use it after 3 days has gone. Wasteful I know but that's me.

MiniMoon Sat 29-Dec-18 13:47:19

We try really hard not to have leftover turkey. We had a 7.4 lb. turkey for the three of us. What was left, was polished off in the evening when DD, SiL and 4 GC came for our evening buffet. I have up buying a big turkey years ago.

PECS Sat 29-Dec-18 10:10:57

I used 2 packs of ready made pastry to make a deep ham & turkey pie with a leek & fennel sauce. I googled the recipe. It is very tasty and easy to do. Can eat hot or cold.

Lynne59 Sat 29-Dec-18 10:07:05

The smoked flavour DID go into the meat, that's why it tasted of it!

I don't consider it a waste to leave it for a fox to eat.

Lilyflower Sat 29-Dec-18 06:58:14

For five big meat eaters I bought a £16 frozen turkey crown back in November and it was delicious and plentiful. I packed the residue in foil to bring down to Devon with me thinking there was enough for a sandwich. To my amazement there was more left than five of us ate on Christmas Day.

The young people set about making ‘Christmas dinner sandwiches’ with turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce and pigs in blankets, all in their DF’s homemade bread. The sarnies looked delicious.

But I still have a ton of turkey left.

phoenix Fri 28-Dec-18 18:56:26

Cheats pie!

Left over turkey and gammon, 1 tin of condensed mushroom soup.

Chop the meat, combine with the soup, black pepper, sage.

Use frozen puff pastry, make a "plate" pie, cook, eat.

Witzend Fri 28-Dec-18 18:28:26

I've stripped mine today, several meal sized packets have gone in the freezer, we're having some tonight with leftover gravy (I'd made loads) and there's plenty in the fridge for a huge turkey stew tomorrow.
Carcass is simmering away in giant stockpot.

Oh, but how I miss having a dog, when tackling the turkey! Still have fond memories of 2 guests' dogs plus ours (all RIP) all sitting in the kitchen, watching me strip the turkey and looking hopeful!

Once the stock had simmered enough, I would strip whatever remained from the bones - skin and manky bits - quite a lot - so that literally all I threw out was bare bones - and the dogs would very enthusiastically share the pickings for their dinner.
Waste not want not!

Jalima1108 Fri 28-Dec-18 11:31:59

We can't eat the rest of the turkey today so I'm hoping it will be OK for turkey, ham and leek pie tomorrow.

ginny Fri 28-Dec-18 08:24:48

I cooked a 11 kg turkey. 8 of us for Christmas Day dinner. 9 for supper on Boxing Day. Slices set home wit MIL and DDs. Sandwiches lunch yesterday for DH and myself. Some in the fridge for today. The rest is in packages in the freezer ready for other dinners, Turkey and ham pie, in a sauce served with rice etc, etc. No waste here.

merlotgran Fri 28-Dec-18 00:10:23

It will be fine to make into a curry and you can freeze any dishes you make from leftovers so long as they're frozen on the day of making.

I would also freeze the beef but make a hot dish with it when defrosted rather than eating it cold.

Izzywizzy Thu 27-Dec-18 23:42:16

We had a turkey crown, cooked Xmas day but I’ve been unexpectedly busy. Will the meat still be ok tomorrow for a curry or freezer? Cooked the beef Xmas eve , would you freeze it ? I too hate waste so I’m hoping you ladies will say it will be ok.

M0nica Thu 27-Dec-18 21:41:24

Why not just remove the bacon and skin under it. the smoked flavour will not go any deeper? I confess I couldn't, quite literally and physically, couldn't waste food in that way.

merlotgran Thu 27-Dec-18 21:26:03

What a criminal waste.

jenni123 Thu 27-Dec-18 21:19:37

If you are in an area where there are homeless and soup kitchens, I am sure they would be pleased to take it off your hands.

Lynne59 Thu 27-Dec-18 20:11:15

We had a turkey crown and a joint of beef - just me, the husband, and one adult son. Husband bought and cooked the food. Upon eating a bit of the turkey, I thought it tasted odd - it had SMOKED bacon on it, which he hadn't realised. None of us liked it, so the whole damned thing was wasted.....
but yesterday, I left it out on the lawn, for the local fox to have. It went pretty quickly! I'm glad someone (something) enjoyed it.

Washerwoman Thu 27-Dec-18 19:12:55

We splashed out on a 16lb free range turkey but DH and I have just calculated with Xmas dinner for 8 hearty appetites,sandwiches for 6 the next day ,and some put in freezer for more sandwiches for DH and I later, plus the pie filling that fed 4 yesterday and the same amount at least frozen for later we've got at least 26 portions out of it.Plus 2 very happy dogs and a cat from loads of skin and pickings.
I made the pie filling with some softened onion ,celery ,diced bacon,mushrooms cooked in some veg stock,left over cream stirred in,a good splodge of lea and perrins ,black pepper and turkey chunks.I and pastry in the freezer just in case.Honestly we all enjoyed it more than the main Xmas meal !I think it may become our new Christmas dinner because after 30 plus years I'm done with doing the big meal with all the trimmings.

Theoddbird Thu 27-Dec-18 18:16:41

I am vegan now...was veggie for 39 years before. Always have bubble and squeak boxing day. No leftovers...wonderful.

AlieOxon Thu 27-Dec-18 18:15:41

I've copied out all the good ideas - thanks!

grandMattie Thu 27-Dec-18 18:01:48

A turkey crown is just the breast...

marga Thu 27-Dec-18 17:39:12

hi live in canada what is a turkey crown we can buy a turkey roast with stuffing in the middle or... a turkey roast as is. i did a turkey for four it was 7 kg or 11 pounds good one

sarahellenwhitney Thu 27-Dec-18 17:12:46

Never had turkey always a Capon .

ClaraB Thu 27-Dec-18 16:50:23

Fabulous Jalima1108 My mother-in-law and I have cracked up over this.