Gransnet forums

Christmas

Appreciation for presents

(45 Posts)
JackyB Sat 29-Dec-18 21:23:15

So many sad threads about presents being returned or people being ungrateful.

This year I had the opposite experience - from my DGS in America I was sent a little video thanking me for the presents and telling me what he had done with them.

DGD ( 3 hours drive away, but no visits this Christmas due to DGD2 due any day) thanked us on the phone and then went on playing with her new toys in the background as we spoke to her parents.

Thanks to my wonderful daughters-in-law (and DS's) we sent presents that were appreciated and were duly thanked for them. (We were told what was wished for, and the parents made sure that the little ones said their thank yous)

Surely others have tales to tell of touching thank you letters they have received or hugs for presents which were spot on?

Go on: cheer us up!

janeainsworth Sat 29-Dec-18 22:00:15

Yes jacky, not a Christmas occasion but DS sent me a little video of DGS opening his birthday present from us (he was 7).He also lives in America.
We give mainly money and only a small token present to unwrap, in this case a book, Ronald Dahl’s the BFG.
DGS opened his card first, reading every word out loud. His face gradually lit up as he read out the words I’d written.
When he opened the book, he said ‘the BFG! What I wanted! And it’s about a girl called Sophie - Sophie (his sister) might like it too. I can lend it to her!’
I was nearly in tears. He has a heart of gold. ?

notanan2 Sat 29-Dec-18 22:01:31

It sounds like it works both ways & you made an effort to chose thoughtful gift.

Occasionally gifts serve to demonstrate how UN interested the giver is in your children (not necessarily maliciously its fine to not be fascinated by other peoples children) and of course children should still thank the giver. But your ENTHUSIASTIC thanks comes from you being a good giver as well as them being good recipients.

Grannyknot Sat 29-Dec-18 22:23:25

On Christmas Eve I made a "croissant ring" filled with chicken and mushrooms, very easy but looks quite impressive. My little grandson (age 4) said "This looks nice!" (he loves food). He got stuck in when it was served, and in the silence that descends when hungry people eat smile, looked up from his plate directly at me and said loudly "Thank you, Gran". Made my day!

Here's the recipe in case of interest:

thechiclife.com/2009/01/pampered-chef-chicken-broccoli-ring.html

Grandma70s Sun 30-Dec-18 06:52:18

I had a particularly good reaction this year from my granddaughter, age 6. Some weeks ago I asked her on the phone what she would like for Christmas, and she described some swimming goggles she would like, saying they were Wonderwoman goggles. I bought some and gave them to her, with some other things, when she visited here (she lives at the other end of the country) a couple of days ago. I feared someone else might have given her the same thing, or that she would have gone off the idea.

I need not have worried. When she opened the parcel, she literally screamed with joy - for some time! She jumped up and down. I have never seen anyone so pleased! It just proved that little presents, if they are right, please just as much as expensive things.

I must say, though, that she looks more like Dame Edna Everage than WonderWoman in them ?

janeainsworth Sun 30-Dec-18 07:01:31

Grannyknot that recipe looks really good.
A bit puzzled though by the reference to the crescent roll pastry- where did you get that? Or did you make your own?

moobox Sun 30-Dec-18 10:37:10

I keep getting pics of my 5 year old granddaughter weaving away on a hand made loom my DH lovingly crafted for her. She is aiming at a scarf, though i have suggested a shorter wall hanging would be less work for her.

My 2 year old grandson from the other family got so many gifts that he is still refusing to open the last ones. He just wanted to go round with his doctor's kit all Christmas.

Cambia Sun 30-Dec-18 10:37:49

My gd was so pleased with her Alexa, she sends me messages to says she loves me on it! It is so lovely to hear her voice rather than read a text!

Noname Sun 30-Dec-18 10:50:51

Jane I’ve not looked at the recipe but would think that the crescent roll pastry is that which you find in the chilled cabinet (Jus-rol I think) for baking croissants at home.
I’m sure Grannyknot will confirm.

inishowen Sun 30-Dec-18 10:54:20

My five year old grandson made a video (with help) thanking his auntie for his presents. He said she was a magic auntie because he'd never seen her. She lives in another country. She also sent fortune cookies which he loved because they had secret messages inside.

EllanVannin Sun 30-Dec-18 11:03:07

I'm always appreciative at what's given to me, always have been and can't imagine I'd be any other way. I've never been a " wanting " type so anything that's received is a bonus whatever it might be.
Easily pleased I suppose. The greatest gifts being paintings done by my GGC as all pictures depict happiness with even the flowers smiling-------that'll do me .

Nanny41 Sun 30-Dec-18 11:11:15

My two teenage Grandsons sent a text each to thank for their presents,I was impressed, they are 19 and 16.
My two Granddaughters age 14 and 18 I havent heard a word from but their Mum thanked me.

Hev61 Sun 30-Dec-18 11:21:27

DGD also wore her doctors set all day,absolutely loved it.The microwave,kettle & toaster set was also used all day cooking the play food i'd bought her.then when we left to go home she hugged me and said thankyou so much for all my presents,I love you lots.she's not three yet!!made my day.

Grannyknot Sun 30-Dec-18 11:34:42

Hi Jane noname is correct. I think the recipe is American hence the "crescent rolls". I just buy the JusRol croissants which is with the puff pastry etc. I have on occasion bought other brands when I find them.

It's a very popular dish with my family, I serve it with a side salad and you can use any filling really, e.g. ham, cheese.

Hm999 Sun 30-Dec-18 11:35:58

Somewhat off point - my birthday was made by a little clip of DGD aged 2 singing Happy Birthday.

ayse Sun 30-Dec-18 11:54:00

DD no 3 decided on all home made presents this year. Her 2 nephews and niece were overjoyed with their presents. Oldest nephew said his was ‘sick’ - apparently very high praise from a 14 year old - she made him a pin board for his room. DD no 2 was overwhelmed by her new tea cosy that I made - knitting for the first time in years.
So lovely to be appreciated.

ClaraB Sun 30-Dec-18 12:05:57

Grandma70s Our four year old granddaughter has those goggles and we crack up every time we see a photo of her, Dame Edna was our exact words too, they are hilarious.

muffinthemoo Sun 30-Dec-18 12:16:09

Laugh at our misfortune: on Christmas morning, dad, brother and I handed mum about four grand worth of gifts (mostly dad to be fair). She unwrapped them, face torn and finally said “So is that everything?” Yes dear, it bloody is, and don’t expect the same at your birthday if you can’t even summon up a “thank you”.

Then later on MIL turned up with no gifts for (very young) grandchildren, announcing she had considered getting them gifts but had decided they really had too many things already so had taken them back. Alright then, but perhaps you could have warned us so we could have warned the kids in advance that granny was not planning to give them the presents she told them they were getting two weeks ago?

Children were entirely unbothered but I don’t appreciate potential drama bombs on Christmas day...

Daddima Sun 30-Dec-18 12:25:06

My late father was quite uncomfortable receiving presents. Most of the time he’d say very little, then maybe three months later you’d get a glowing report of the gift. I remember buying him a stick blender which seemed to get a cool reception, but then almost every week I’d hear how wonderful it was!

sarahellenwhitney Sun 30-Dec-18 12:27:30

It is the ever increasing high postage costs that now determines what presents I give to my family who live so far from me. I now do money transfers and they let me see via the internet what they bought .

Legs55 Sun 30-Dec-18 12:49:36

I spend part of Christmas Day with DD & family. All were delighted with their presents especially DGS1 who is 8, he gave me lots of hugs & even a kiss, also told me he loves me lotsthlsmile. DGS2 is only 20 months old, he played with his toys with me though. DM (who is almost 90) is the most ungrateful, I left a gift when I visited in November, got it wrong again nothing unusual there & she told me so, at least I can't get it wrong for her Birthday as she want's donations for Air Ambulance instead of presentsthlgrin

mumofmadboys Sun 30-Dec-18 12:55:05

Muffinthemoo how rude of the MIL. A lot of children have too much nowadays as indeed do adults but no harm in token presents and some money to save. I gave a few young relatives Amarylis' to grow which I hope they will enjoy

grandtanteJE65 Sun 30-Dec-18 13:10:01

Long time since last we heard from you Muffinthemoo, hope apart from your MIL's extraordinarily unkind behaviour that everything is well.

I seem to remember that your MIL is a right pain, Sounds as if your children don't expect anything good from that neck of the woods.

Kernowflock Sun 30-Dec-18 13:13:54

This year I sent flowers, as many adults are hard to buy for. I have had 2 thank you's out of 6! But with the direct family members my gifts were greeted with oohs and thanks. Except my mother. She always says thank you but then lists what would have been better. But I have learnt over the years that this will always be thus. I think when you are buying for those you know well it is fairly easy to get it right. But for those who you want to buy for but rarely see or converse with, it is more difficult.

moggie57 Sun 30-Dec-18 13:19:52

my gc make a list of presents received from family./friends then d writes a thankyou note and they sign it... good way of saying thankyou..