Gransnet forums

Christmas

DIL's parental alienation: indestructible gifts or how to handle Christmas??

(52 Posts)
Squibsy Thu 19-Sep-19 17:55:18

Finally, I hope some time over this Christmas period to see my Grandchild (by then nearly 2) for the first time since he was 5 months-old.

This after thousands Pounds legal costs, several court proceedings with Orders for his Dad to have contact, all wilfuly ignored ... it's been a one-sided toxic, highly distressing Hell.

But, at Christmastime - I'm praying little one will be have a day with his Daddy and I'd appreciate some ideas: spending time together makes the all-important memories of course... but there's this awful one-sided and joyless element to deal with of "presents from his other set of Grandparents" but not from his Daddy's because I am very mindful any gift will be likely disposed of as soon as little one gets home - and I want to avoid any distress or issues for him

I've not had a Christmas with a small child since my own decades ago: any advice, tips, thoughts, on how to handle a 'Christmas' scenario without presents but also what on earth does one, should one, do with a little one? I realise I could buy some "toys we play with at Grandma's" ... but what??

I want to present some positive ideas for my son to be able to cope with this aspect as well.

Sadly, I wish I could optimistically say things will settle down but, realistically and pragmatically, this how every Christmas and birthday will need to be managed from now on so we'll need to "create our own version of traditions" from here on.

Your Granly wisdoms would be most appreciated smile
Thank you

Squibsy Sat 28-Sep-19 08:25:22

Thanks Magrithea ... was thinking the same. Actually, since I first posted, with what I should have been prepared for - same old 'breaking contact shenanigans' happening - I've been very depressed by it ....

... decided, right now, it's pointless thinking about Christmas or at any point having contact. Obviously, another court battle looming and very depressed and exhausted with it all sad