Gransnet forums

Christmas

Christmas Hampers

(23 Posts)
gillybob Wed 09-Oct-19 14:29:47

Aye... cheers, Doon the hatch smile

Rufus2 Wed 09-Oct-19 14:16:09

..and there endeth the history lesson on Geordie booze
Very interesting; keep going please! I never liked history at school, but we didn't "do" booze as a subject: now I realise red beer and me possibly share a common birthday 8 July 1927 (?) although now I"m no longer working -class i.e. not working, I'm more into red wine. Said to be good for the heart! Cheers, or whatever Geordies say! Good Health
wine wine wine

gillybob Wed 09-Oct-19 13:51:49

...and there endeth the history lesson on Geordie booze grin

gillybob Wed 09-Oct-19 13:50:18

Newcastle Broon (Brown in Geordie) Ale was first brewed in Newcastle upon Tyne in 1927. It is 4.7% and is a red-brown in colour. The famous 5 pointed star symbol represents the 5 founding breweries in Newcastle . It used be to a very iconic drink among the Tyneside working classes. But sadly like many other good things it is now brewed abroad by Heineken.

Rufus2 Wed 09-Oct-19 13:48:27

The alchohol is brandy or port or flavoured gin.Howzat?
Out! caught in your spelling slips! You need to ask Santa to put a new spell-checker in your stocking or pillowcase. grin
Btw; I forgot; could you please put a bag (paper, not plastic) of "aniseed balls" in my hamper? Ta!

lemongrove Wed 09-Oct-19 13:43:16

Broon just means brown ( a Scottish and North Eastern thing)

lemongrove Wed 09-Oct-19 13:42:10

I tend to type much too fast and fail to use the preview at all,
Slapped wrist!

lemongrove Wed 09-Oct-19 13:41:17

Sorry Rufus grin was being to generous with my h’s wasn’t I?
You will have to excuse me.....hic! wine

Rufus2 Wed 09-Oct-19 13:35:05

I’ll send you a couple of bottles of the best Newcastle Broon
Gillybarb: Oops, sorry! although I recall you saying you didn't mind that term of endearment.grin but what is "Broon", if your Dad didn't like it? I don't usually look gift horses in the mouth, but I'm drowning in strange booze terminology lately what with lemongrove threatening to stick something called "alchohol" in my hamper. Even Dr. Google and my spellchecker give up on that. I can always mix the two with some rose petals and feed them to the possums (their favourite garden flower) hmm

lemongrove Tue 08-Oct-19 15:57:29

Ring tailed possums! How cute, wish we had a few scampering about on the roof here.?
The alchohol is brandy or port or flavoured gin.Howzat?

Rufus2 Tue 08-Oct-19 14:05:50

preserves and relishes, good chocolate, alchohol and fruitcake
Lemongrove; That "alchohol" must be pretty potent! hmm
You're spot on so far reading my tastes, but keep going; if there's anything I don't fancy I'll give it to the ring-tailed possums although if it contains more of that "alchohol" it'll give them something to think about as they scamper over the roof all night; downside could be I'll have to gather up dozens of paralytic possums off the lawn in the morning and return them to the bush seeing as how they're a protected species! confused

EllanVannin Tue 08-Oct-19 13:35:52

Talking about " keeping it clean " I do remember the jingle which was on Aussie tele at Christmas-----Nibble Nobbie's Nuts " the advert for----nuts. It used to make me laugh when I first heard it while sitting eating Macadamias.

lemongrove Tue 08-Oct-19 13:12:27

Our jamboree romping is going well Rufus we are there until the end of the month, then we are leaving, even if the farmer offers us a deal.grin

lemongrove Tue 08-Oct-19 13:10:09

I think you have to know the tastes of somebody very well to give them a hamper.The ones I put together have preserves and relishes, good chocolate, alchohol and fruitcake.
Not everyone likes the same things.

gillybob Tue 08-Oct-19 12:18:29

I’ll send you a couple of bottles of the best Newcastle Broon Rufus grin

My mum and dad were on holiday in Nashville and a barman asked what part of England they were from “ oh I doubt you will know it “ said my dad “ it’s way up North and the nearest big city is Newcastle” at which point the barman disappeared and came back with a bottle of the famous stuff ! My dad didn’t have the heart to say he wasn’t keen so thanked him and drank it anyway . smile

Maggiemaybe Tue 08-Oct-19 12:13:32

Faggots are going to whiff a bit after the journey, Rufus. I did see them for sale in Leeds Market recently, so someone must buy them. envy

We’ve made up Christmas hampers for my BIL and partner three years running. I detected a distinct loss of enthusiasm last year so had better have a rethink this time.

Rufus2 Tue 08-Oct-19 12:06:16

I once won an Xmas hamper and it was full of brands I'd never heard of
My OZ hamper is coming along quite nicely but I also like the idea of 2 hampers, i.e. a British Hamper full of items I have heard of to remind me of all that Great Britain standsstood for and places we fondly remembered; e.g.

Blackpool; sticks of rock (with its name through the middle!)
Melton Mowbray; pork pies.
West Country; anywhere; cider.
M&B brown ale
Manchester; faggots.
Bourneville; chocolates.

But definitely no haggis or black puddings or fishy things; liable to "go off".

"Best of British" lollies; Bassetts Licorice Allsorts, Mint humbugs, Ross's Berwick Cockles.
Oh dear! I must break off now to shed a few nostalgic tears! grin

Pantglas2 Tue 08-Oct-19 09:33:22

I also make up a couple of hampers, one for my father and another for a maiden aunt. I trot to Waitrose and buy posh treats I know they’ll like but wouldn’t buy for themselves and also put in a pot of my jam or chutney and some freshly baked mince pies.

First thing dad does in New Year is hand me the empty hamper back!

BradfordLass72 Tue 08-Oct-19 08:58:54

I once won an Xmas hamper and it was full of brands I'd never heard of.

DH and I enjoyed tiny pots of preserves and various pâtés, alcohol infused cakes and boozy chocolates.

The children played 'boats' with the basket.

Rufus2 Mon 07-Oct-19 13:38:09

What do you (expect) hope to find in a hamper Rufus?( keep it clean!)
Based on current lack of interest, nothing! sadso hamper will be unused, therefore clean.
No matter; not to worry as I'm drawing up a manifest based on OZ catalogues.
Rufus; how about; " Colour Changing Loo Night Light"; fits on the outside of toilet rim and switches on and off automatically with an array of colours at night; red, blue, green, yellow?
Or; " Cartwright and Butler Jewel Cake in Gift Tin"; packed with glazed fruits and nuts; made in Yorks.!
Or; Digital BBQ tongs, with 7 progs. of fish, chicken, meat plus built-in alarm. " Was $49 now $24.50." A must-have for any self- respecting Aussie male! grin
No chance of this one being intercepted!
More to follow!

Rufus2 Thu 03-Oct-19 15:12:30

What do you hope to find in a hamper Rufus?( keep it clean!)
It's now Friday here Lemongrove so I'll have to sleep on that, perchance to dream of nice clean things, what else? Lots of nice surprises, but depends on how much is left in the GN petty-cash tin after all your Jamboree romping around that English meadow. grin
How's that going, btw?

lemongrove Thu 03-Oct-19 13:49:38

I made up two different Christmas hampers for relatives last year, bought pretty baskets and filled them with things they all liked.Not sure about cost effective, but much nicer and you know they will enjoy them.
What do you hope to find in a hamper Rufus?( keep it clean!)

Rufus2 Thu 03-Oct-19 13:33:44

Our magazines and gift catalogues have arrived full of all sorts of hampers. In the spirit of not worrying anymore about anything I'm not worrying about what hamper to expect from Gransnet as part of the "hampers for expatriates" project to "remind them of home", especially after last year's debacle, when my hamper was intercepted by a (nameless) lady member who scoffed the lot and then had the cheek to say it was delicious! sad Of course it was; it was selected by me!
Anyway I was also advised that when its contents were individually costed it was a rip-off: that's a worry I can control so I won't worry. I'll take my Shiraz, nuts, crisps, TV guide and hibernate until the next century! grin
Cheers
wine wine wine