Gransnet forums

Christmas

Christmas prep

(284 Posts)
Namsnanny Fri 11-Oct-19 19:58:50

I'm going to keep a kind of diary of some of the things I make and do for Christmas.

If anyone wants to join in they are welcome.

Maybe we can swap ideas. smile

----------------------------------------------------------

First of all I collected up the pruned tendrils from my Wisteria, and wound them around each other to make a wreath.
Still needs a few more strands to plump it out, but when finished I will decorate it.
Not sure whether to go for the trad. Christmas red and green with bits of glitter, or maybe skandi type with natural fir cones cinnamon sticks etc., finished off with a velvet vanilla coloured bow!
I'll have to take a look in the Christmas craft box(es!) to see what is looking the nicest.

Next persuaded my husband to bring down the many boxes of trimmings etc., down for me to check through, and they are now stuffed under the dining table until I get to decorate the house later on.
I cant ask him to trudge them back upstairs, too much stress on the knees!
It gives me the chance to look through and see what is looking a bit jaded and decide if I should buy new.

Found the outside lights and tested some to see if still working. Yes, so arranged them strategically in the back garden.

We had cut back a large tree a couple of weeks ago, which left the view from the window a bit empty, and I didn't like it.
So we dug out a large pot, heaved it (well he heaved I steadied it) onto the sack truck and wheeled it into position.
Then stood the largest pruned branch (about 3ft) into it and filled the pot with earth to hold it in place.

The branch is nicely twisted so I spent a couple of days on and off winding lights around it to emphasise its lovely shape. Fiddly but the effect is very pretty.
Then I filled the top of the pot with some trailing variegated ivy, (being sold off at 50p a pot).

Now I've left the lights off for now, as it is a little bit early!
But I'm looking forward to seeing them everyday from my window over the Christmas period.
It's the one thing that perks me up when the clocks change and windy wet winter seems to stretch out before us.

Namsnanny Thu 22-Oct-20 20:52:30

Witzend I've just caught up with this thread, your mincemeat looks delicious!
You've kick started me so, Ive stewed the apples from our trees, and put it in the freezer.
Ready for the base of the mincemeat (which is suitable for vegans as my kids are now).

And I've made 6 sticky date puddings (Delia Smiths recipe) we like in place of xmas pud.
They are also in the freezer.

Not that we shall be seeing anyone, but it's nice to keep up traditions isnt it?

Love all of your Christmas makes, you've been very busy over lockdown! smile

Hope you enjoy back reading the thread FannyCornforth
I'm going to do that too. So I can get into the Christmas crafting spirit!

Faye17 ... Lovely knitted Mr and Mrs Claus, but completely out shone by your beautiful darling GS smile
So glad your son is doing well too!

Witzend Mon 05-Oct-20 17:51:24

Wasn’t looking for any such thing, but found something v good for dh’s stocking today - huge (£10) bag of mixed nuts in Waitrose. (He’s a nut addict).

Sarnia Wed 30-Sep-20 10:09:16

M0nica

The Christmas Spreadsheet will be opened up on Tuesday evening, to the sound of Christmas music and Christmas planning will start.

Meanwhile, I do already have a collection of stocking presents and other trifles purchased over the last 10 months, hidden in a drawer.

Christmas decorations and the like come down from the loft the last weekend in November.

Oh well done MOnica. I buy things as and when I see them, then for the life of me can't remember where I hid them!

Parsley3 Wed 30-Sep-20 10:06:27

I love this thread. I make Christmas baubles for the family every year. This year I have tried needle felting kits from Hobbycraft as my poor thumbs make knitting difficult. I am currently working on a wee penguin.

faye17 Wed 30-Sep-20 07:44:37

Nice Witzend!!!!
Christmas 2020 shaping up very well indeed ☺

Witzend Sat 26-Sep-20 15:24:04

6 lbs of mincemeat!
That should keep me and dh in mince pies for a week or two.??

faye17 Fri 25-Sep-20 10:34:54

Oooh Witzend... that wreath is soooo cute
You are one talented girlie flowers

JackyB Fri 25-Sep-20 08:54:27

I love the tuna can idea oopsadaisy3. I wish we ate enough tuna fish to make a whole row of them to decorate over the mantelpiece.

As for the outside, I have lots of saved scraps of gift wrap and also some cotton prints with seasonal designs that would look good. Or just tie broad ribbon round them, although that may mean some outlay if you don't have the right width in your sewing basket. You could then tie say 5 of them together with varying lengths of ribbon and hang them like a bunch of grapes.

FannyCornforth Fri 25-Sep-20 05:43:08

This is a really lovely thread.
I'm actually only on page 2, but I'm already loving the ideas.
Thank you everyone.
Now back to page 2!

Notagranyet1234 Fri 25-Sep-20 01:34:43

Anyone bargain hunting online-Build a Bear has an offer for online purchases

Witzend Thu 24-Sep-20 15:50:57

Also made this one for a dd - the actual wreath pattern is brilliant, v easy, 2 strands of DK on big fat needles. I’ve used it 5 times now!

faye17 Wed 23-Sep-20 22:32:18

Thankyou both very much.
Witzend you are going to make many people very happy with your treasures, they'll be so lucky to get such gorgeous Christmas gifts.
Like you I started thinking of Christmas once we went into lockdown and I've lots of goodies stashed away now, I knit, make candles, soap, scented wax roomscenters, decorate glass with paints & beads - kept me well-occupied and I'm delighted to be so well organized for Christmas especially this year smile

Witzend Wed 23-Sep-20 09:37:24

I started Christmas prep at the beginning of lockdown, knitting lots of Christmassy things for Gdcs, and as raffle prize donations for their respective school Christmas fairs. Which now almost certainly won’t happen. ?

So I now have 3 big fat Father Christmases, complete with toys in sack, 2 of which will now be given elsewhere, or kept for next year.

Ditto 3 x Jolly Snowmen wreaths.

And one Nativity Set, though I might ask whether Gdd’s Year 1 teacher would like it for the classroom.

2 x woolly Santa hats for Gdcs won’t be wasted, though, nor the big batch of Delia’s mincemeat I intend to make very soon!

MawB2 Wed 23-Sep-20 08:00:51

Faye17 something to truly celebrate! And what an enchanting baby ??

Witzend Wed 23-Sep-20 07:58:41

What a lovely pic, @faye17!

faye17 Tue 22-Sep-20 15:15:23

Good luck Witzend... I knit these two when my eldest son was very small
They have stood either side of the fireplace every Christmas since
My son was diagnosed with cancer at 24 years of age but has made a complete recovery & we had a small family only celebration in the garden last month to mark 10 years all- clear.
We never dared hope that he would have children but here we are thankfully with his 2year-old son looking forward to Christmas- my favourite time of the year.
The photo is my grandsons first Christmas surrounded by my HANDKNIT Mr & Mrs Claus

Wheniwasyourage Tue 05-May-20 11:07:17

Oopsadaisy3 grin And I love the decoration!

Oopsadaisy3 Fri 01-May-20 20:03:41

Witzend that’s really lovely

Yorkie if sprouts aren’t on by May , it’ll be a very sad Christmas Day ........old saying?

Witzend Thu 30-Apr-20 09:35:09

In addition to the other C-word things I’m making, last night I started this, too. 36 cm tall! About a third of one foot done so far. I have plenty of black to use up - that’s my excuse, anyway, never mind that I had to order more red and white. ?

yorkie20 Wed 29-Apr-20 19:47:42

Oh heck, Is it too late for cooking the sprouts for this Christmas? smile I like to make sure they are cooked well.

Namsnanny Wed 29-Apr-20 19:41:09

Tangerine… this isn't really about 'the day' or any people we may or may not see.
That's for later on.

It's just about enjoying crafting and making now feel good.

You have to admit when it comes to glitter colour and pushing the boat out, Christmas has it all.

Witzend Wed 29-Apr-20 17:42:42

We know it’s April, Grandma70s. We’re just finding nice, cheerful, satisfying things to do during the lockdown. You’d probably have a fit at the C-word item I made recently, but the pic is on another thread, so you won’t have to go and lie down in a darkened room.?

Oopsadaisy, that’s lovely - and how clever and inventive of you to be using so many odds and ends!

Oopsadaisy3 Wed 29-Apr-20 17:31:06

Tangerine we are usually on our own anyway, but we FaceTime, we are a bit too spread out to spend it all together, I doubt we will see them again until next year. But I really don’t want to think that far ahead.
But Christmas will still be Christmas and hopefully will cheer us up.

Tangerine Wed 29-Apr-20 17:24:39

I hope you're allowed to have a proper Christmas with all your family/friends.

I am not terribly interested in Christmas but I accept that it means a great deal to other people.

Oopsadaisy3 Wed 29-Apr-20 17:23:22

Oh my !! April already! Must get cracking on my home made Christmas Crackers and more decorations, I didn’t realise it was so late in the year.......
Still, sprouts are on so we are still on track.?