Gransnet forums

Christmas

Your oldest Christmas decoration?

(56 Posts)
Witzend Tue 26-Nov-19 08:09:06

We still have a top of the tree fairy made by a dd out of a gold doiley etc. at nursery when she was 3. She's 42 now.

Also still have 3 plastic bells, different colours, that go back a lot longer, to when I was a small child and we only ever had a little tree that was dug up from the garden every year, poor thing. I loved them then and could never get rid of them, though anybody else would very likely think them only fit for the bin now.

Nothing very old and beautiful I'm afraid, though I'm sure others will have.

Witzend Wed 27-Nov-19 21:06:09

Found and ordered - still easily available online. I don't know why the shops don't seem to have it any more. I know the 'style police' are very anti - not that I give a stuff about them - but they're anti tinsel too and you still see masses of that for sale.

Mapleleaf Thu 28-Nov-19 17:36:25

I've got some gold and some red lametta which I put on the tree every year. ?
I agree with you, Witzend, I don't care what the style police think is "in" or "out", I like it and they don't live in my house to worry about it!?

Mebster Fri 06-Dec-19 02:18:38

I have a set of Christmas sleigh bells that were handed down by my great grandparents. Also, handpainted ornaments from my childhood.

Newquay Fri 06-Dec-19 07:13:33

I have an orange studded with cloves made by DD2 at (mornings only-free!) nursery. She’s 41 now. And a few other things she and her sister made too. Precious memories.

Happysexagenarian Sat 07-Dec-19 16:30:21

I have a set of multicoloured tree lights from the 1950s and they still work! Also a little fairy doll from before I was born in 1950. She has a faded net dress, feather wings and yellow silky hair and a (once) sparkly star wand. I still put her on the tree but not at the top as I prefer a star tree topper.