Gransnet forums

Christmas

Christmas bargain thread

(74 Posts)
LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 27-Nov-19 16:16:49

We're not saying that Christmas is all about the shopping, obviously. BUT it's also fair to say that at this time of the year there are an awful lot of good buys to be had. If anyone's found any particularly bargains please do pop a link on this thread to share with others.

In the office we've got our eyes on:
- 20% off skincare at John Lewis,
- Up to 50% off at Lakeland (the KitchenAid mixer is £250 off!)
- Plus a few nice bits 50% off at White Stuff.

Over to you!

Feelingmyage55 Fri 13-Dec-19 21:30:18

My granny used to take me there ? marydoll.

NotSpaghetti Thu 12-Dec-19 15:39:43

Marydoll - what a lot for £17.99 - but how sad too.

merlotgran Wed 11-Dec-19 20:55:49

Unfortunately, *NotAGran, my size has sold out so I'll have to stick with what I've got.

Marydoll Wed 11-Dec-19 20:45:46

Today I went into town and happened to pass a large dept store in Glasgow, which was closing down after 100 years.
I loved this shop, I always managed to get lots of bargains.
I have a soft spot for it, it was the only shop my mother would shop in, when she had dementia, because she remembered it from days a young student nurse in Glasgow.

I spent £17.99 and got:

Two pairs of Farah trousers for DH,
Two hardback novels, (originally £12.99 each)
Two boxes of Toddler slipper socks, (originally £10 per box)
2 Children's activity packs (originally £7.99 each)
I children's story book (originally £6.99)
6 Yankee candle tartlets

NotAGran55 Tue 10-Dec-19 19:16:46

Charleygirl The brand was recommended on Mumsnet for being wider than average fitting. I have very wide flat feet with small bunions and their sandals fit like a dream .
I haven’t tried boots or other shoes though.

Charleygirl5 Tue 10-Dec-19 11:52:33

Does anybody know please if Moshulu does wider fittings? There is no mention of width whenever I look on their web site.

NotAGran55 Tue 10-Dec-19 10:07:45

Merlotgran just for future purchases . Did you know that JL will refund within 30days on anything you buy elsewhere cheaper , or if it is reduced on their own site or shop. In addition you don’t need to keep a receipt because they are all stored on your account .
Good luck with your return - let us know if you get the full refund.

Jodieb Mon 09-Dec-19 19:50:29

Gone girl; Take it back and buy again.

SpringyChicken Sun 08-Dec-19 21:59:18

shock

merlotgran Sun 08-Dec-19 21:23:02

Good Idea, SpringyChicken. Now....Where did I put that receipt? grin

SpringyChicken Sun 08-Dec-19 20:08:19

Merlotgran, you don't have to rummage for the packaging to return it. Order another one, then return it with the first receipt. No doubt, someone will slate me for suggesting this but £20 is a lot of money.

Mebster Sun 08-Dec-19 16:41:58

Great toy, inexpensive for those on a budget, is called Super Stacking Tops. My grans and their friends have loved it since age five to eight. I use it as a stocking stuffer. It's a set of five tops with a spring loaded peg winder. You try to get all five spinning in a tower. Not too durable but loads of fun.

Beechnut Sun 08-Dec-19 12:18:29

I would be annoyed with them too merlotgran. I have recently seen Cotton Traders advertising a coat in a magazine half price for £36 but on their website it was full price at £72. I really don’t think that is a fair game.

M0nica Sat 07-Dec-19 21:27:39

Got the Guiness Book of Records half price at my local independent bookshop.

Kidzlab, science kits for children are 3 for 2 at Hobbycraft.

merlotgran Sat 07-Dec-19 20:35:19

I'm flipping annoyed with Cotton Traders. I spent nearly £40 on a top which arrived on Tuesday and this morning the same top popped up in an ad on Gransnet for £20!!! angry

I felt like going through the recycling to find the packaging so I could send it back but I CBA.

SpringyChicken Thu 05-Dec-19 18:09:15

Moshulu started their sale on winter boots today.

NotSpaghetti Wed 04-Dec-19 07:49:02

I'm another who knew what I wanted. 5 items. 4 different shops. Not one was reduced. ?

Greengage Wed 04-Dec-19 00:49:54

Book Depository (online) is very good for books, and free postage too.

Kalu Sun 01-Dec-19 11:17:25

I have snatched a bargain or something I really like, a size bigger, if it looks easy to alter.

The lady at our local alterations shop is a wizard with a sewing machine.

Kalu Sun 01-Dec-19 11:10:11

I still think 3 sizes larger is just a bit OTT, but, maybe that’s just me Charleygirl. Enjoy wearing your new goonie?

Gonegirl Sun 01-Dec-19 10:37:29

Yes. I'm a bit worried that the jumper I've bought from White Stuff is going to be big on DD. I should have ordered the two sizes.

The jumper I bought for me from there is long in the sleeves.

Callistemon Sun 01-Dec-19 10:33:23

Gracesgran I find White Stuff to be on the generous side - not huge but if you are between sizes, like me, you can afford to go for the smaller size.
However, you could always order both, I think returns are free as far as I remember.

Nothing I have ordered for presents seems to be a bargain unfortunately, except for one doll and she is 'an extra' just because she was reduced!
That probably means she is not top on Santa's list any more.

Maggiemaybe Sun 01-Dec-19 10:20:02

I did once buy a lovely size 16 woollen duffel coat from Zara because it had 75% off. I’m a 10/12. blush I think I had hopes of altering it, but it never happened. Nice for whoever got it from the charity shop though.

Charleygirl5 Sun 01-Dec-19 09:31:50

Kalu buying my normal size and the garment would not have fitted me. I did not buy 3 sizes larger just to get a bargain, I bought larger so that I had room to move!

Kalu Sat 30-Nov-19 16:41:53

Always interesting bits on Not on the High Street. Will be having a search on there? + Hobbs + The White Company?