Gransnet forums

Christmas

Bl**dy mince pies !

(57 Posts)
hazel93 Thu 05-Dec-19 13:29:29

Decided today I would stop avoiding it and get them done. For some reason everyone loves my mince pies which I realise is very flattering. Thing is, I hate making them ! So far 4 dozen in freezer and I am losing the will to live.
Am I the only one ?

Gonegirl Thu 05-Dec-19 18:29:51

Should have known a tv chef would cock it up make it over rich.

hazel93 Thu 05-Dec-19 18:38:16

Hetty - seriously ???!!!
Or do I detect a hint of sarcasm ? Remember I have not had a great day !

BradfordLass72 Thu 05-Dec-19 18:42:16

Hetty58 you beat me to it! but what I secretly suspect is that in addition to loving them, they don't want the faff of making the pies themselves and hazel93 has proved a willing victim baker.

I make my own fruit mince but I am death to all other pastries. I may succeed if I had a kitchen processor but my 'processor' is my own hot hand sad

I've always found this, from Saint Delia, goes down well in our house - much easier:

www.deliaonline.com/recipes/type-of-dish/party-food/canapes-nibbles/wholefood-mincemeat-slices

merlotgran Thu 05-Dec-19 18:50:14

James Martin's recipes are high in fat, especially butter and salt.

I haven't made my own mincemeat for years. It's much easier to just add sherry or brandy to a good bought one.

M0nica Thu 05-Dec-19 18:56:52

I outsource my mince pies. I make the mincemeat. DD turns them into pies. She does standard 'pie' mince pies nd others made from sheets of filo.

Gonegirl Thu 05-Dec-19 19:26:28

merlot I love his dinners (when DD cooks for us), so I thought it would be good. Maybe men aren't so good with non-cheffy things.

Callistemon Thu 05-Dec-19 19:40:29

I used to do this hazel, but no more!!

My pastry used to be lovely but it isn't so great these days. I blame the fan oven.

Waitrose or Tesco do very nice all butter mince pies.
Show them where to buy them.

Callistemon Thu 05-Dec-19 19:41:35

I was thinking of you today, Gonegirl, as I was peeling and chopping scrumped apples, thinking that I should make some mincemeat and mince pies.

Then I thought, nah, I need to go to the school Christmas Fayre.

Callistemon Thu 05-Dec-19 19:43:33

mer;lotgran glutenfree and pastry are two words that should not appear in the same sentence.
Mutually incompatible.

Callistemon Thu 05-Dec-19 19:45:46

How do you freeze them uncooked Lins1066 without them falling apart? Do you freeze them in baking trays?
Yes, I used to do that, but do not put the slit or hole in the top of the mince pies before freezing.

Brandy butter is easy kittylester
Even I can make that!

craftyone Thu 05-Dec-19 19:50:13

I am glad those days are over. I used to freeze unbaked, maybe 4 trays worth. Waitrose for me now but only a few and already bought and frozen. I am going to stay away from the main supermarkets from today, it was very busy with a full car park early this morning

merlotgran Thu 05-Dec-19 20:02:17

I've spent years perfecting gluten free pastry (she says, hoping not to cast doubt on the perfect bit!)

The rules are almost the opposite to ordinary pastry:

Once the rubbing in bit is done, (I use two thirds block margarine to one third lard,) it's necessary to almost overwork the kneading. Hot hands are better than cold ones because you need a kind of putty consistency.

It's the rolling out that you mustn't overwork. A very light touch is essential and picking it up is tricky because it breaks easily.

My flour mix is three quarters gf plain flour and one quarter rice flour. I also add a tablespoon of sugar for sweet shortcrust plus a beaten egg.

The texture is light and crumbly and they freeze well.

kittylester Thu 05-Dec-19 20:08:14

callistemon, I know it's easy but it's easier to get my Sainsbury to make it!! grin

I can remember years of making it just with a wooden spoon.

Callistemon Thu 05-Dec-19 20:08:28

I may try again merlotgran thank you!

Callistemon Thu 05-Dec-19 20:09:05

I bought Tesco's gf pastry last year and it was awful.

merlotgran Thu 05-Dec-19 20:21:27

DGS3 is also coeliac and loves sausage rolls so I make flaky pastry by freezing grated margarine and lard (two thirds fat to flour) before stirring it in gently and adding very cold water until it can be handled to form a dough. This recipe is different to shortcrust because it mustn't be overworked and you want to still be able to see the bits of fat.

I form it into a rectangular block which then goes back in the freezer until needed. I roll it out before it's completely defrosted so it will stand a little pressure. It then goes back into the freezer for a while so it's still really cold when the sausage rolls are egg washed before going in the oven.

Nice crispy texture and nowhere near as tough as the bought stuff.

BlueSapphire Thu 05-Dec-19 22:02:07

I have two dozen in the freezer, but DS has had just been down tonight to get the Christmas decorations down from the loft, and had asked for some to take into work, as they are having a little competition as to who can take in the best home made ones! Oh my goodness I shall have to pull all the stoppers out now! I had already decided to make another batch, as I am going to a Christmas afternoon tea next week and thought I might make some more for that. Right, better up my game and get some brandy to add to the mincemeat...

Witzend Thu 05-Dec-19 22:31:50

Dh eats them almost as fast as I can make them, so I've taken a 3 day break in the interests of his waistline.

I just use ordinary shortcrust pastry, made in my trusty old Kenwood Chef, wedding present in 1974. Would love enough freezer space to be able to freeze big batches, but alas I don't.

Pantglas2 Fri 06-Dec-19 08:43:15

I seem to get later every year with the darn things but don’t make as many cos if they are in the house DH will find em and scoff em!

I do like to give some away to family who are on their own and they wouldn’t bother otherwise.

Gonegirl Fri 06-Dec-19 11:15:28

I am now endeavouring to make my rubbish James Martin mincemeat into some kind of fatballs for the birds. No idea if it will work.

Gonegirl Fri 06-Dec-19 11:37:58

It's not working. Kitchen's gone smoky.

Hammycmt Fri 06-Dec-19 12:03:18

I'm also Coeliac and the recipe I use is "foolproof"
225g plain gf flour
1tsp xanthum gum(optional)
1 tblsp icing sugar(for sweet pastry)
100g butter cubed
1 beaten egg
some ice cold water
Rub flour ,icing sugar,xanthum gum and butter to breadcrumbs
stir in the egg, add water tsp at a time until have a nice dough
no need to rest in fridge
will make 12 mincepies.bake 20 mins 180/160 fan

makes nice sausage rolls add tsp salt in place of icing sugar if doing savouries

Callistemon Fri 06-Dec-19 13:00:41

Thanks Hammy

It must be the egg that makes the difference.

notanan2 Fri 06-Dec-19 13:03:54

People might be telling you they love them because they think you love making and giving/sharing them!

Shop bought quality of mince pies has improved A LOT recently without having to pay high end prices, so if you dont enjoy it just stop! Get in some nice ones from the shops.

Callistemon Fri 06-Dec-19 13:03:56

Gonegirl!! Is there alcohol in your mincemeat?
I envisage a garden full of drunken pigeons, robins, sparrows etc. shock

Why is the kitchen full of smoke?

I'm going to look up the recipe