Gransnet forums

Christmas

Bl**dy mince pies !

(56 Posts)
hazel93 Thu 05-Dec-19 13:29:29

Decided today I would stop avoiding it and get them done. For some reason everyone loves my mince pies which I realise is very flattering. Thing is, I hate making them ! So far 4 dozen in freezer and I am losing the will to live.
Am I the only one ?

Hetty58 Thu 05-Dec-19 13:33:10

Hazel, why on Earth are you doing stuff that you don't enjoy? Stop it!

Gonegirl Thu 05-Dec-19 13:40:33

Why don't you just do 8oz flour at a time? Eat them, and do some more. I will be doing my third lot shortly.

I may not do the big freeze ones thi year. It's so much easier to just make them as you go along. Twenty minutes and it's done.

I used to make my own puff pastry, but they all seem to enjoy the shortcrust just as much. And it's not quite so fattening.

Gonegirl Thu 05-Dec-19 13:42:55

I will buy some Dorset puff pastry for the sausage rolls. It's more expensive but nothing added. Just the flour and butter.

Gonegirl Thu 05-Dec-19 13:44:19

It's the housework you should leave. And the ironing.

merlotgran Thu 05-Dec-19 13:47:44

Think yourself lucky you're not grappling with gluten free ones.

Gf shortcrust pastry has a mind of its own.

Only one dozen in the freezer so far. DH keeps eating them! grin

Gonegirl Thu 05-Dec-19 13:50:24

Loads of time anyway, Gluten free pastry must be a nightmare. No bend to it.

tanith Thu 05-Dec-19 13:53:03

I have 3 dozen in the freezer and some to take to my GS tonight.

Greyduster Thu 05-Dec-19 14:40:34

I made eighteen last week but we ate them ? (well they are only a mouthful and GS helped!). I am now looking for a better brand of mincemeat. We are going away for Christmas and I aim to get a couple of dozen into the freezer ready to take with us. Ditto sausage rolls and I am going to experiment this year with a meat free sausage filling for DD.

crazyH Thu 05-Dec-19 14:46:43

I'm on my own...my visiting family are not keen on them, so I just bought 12 from the Co-op for myself and am having one now with my cup of tea ....delicious !!

Lins1066 Thu 05-Dec-19 14:54:13

greyduster I like Duerr's mincemeat but it is getting harder to find for some reason. I have used Sainsbury's too. Mind you I decant the mincemeat from the jar into a bowl and add some brandy, leave overnight. My lot like glacé cherries so I chop some up and add those too, would work with dried cranberries too.
I use Delia's recipe for mince pies and freeze them uncooked, defrost and cook for 25 mins. Her recipe for cheese and onion sausage rolls are lovely, they go down well with meat eaters too.

Lynker Thu 05-Dec-19 15:02:39

How do you freeze them uncooked Lins1066 without them falling apart? Do you freeze them in baking trays?

mumofmadboys Thu 05-Dec-19 15:14:21

I cooked some the other day and added a chopped apple and 2 chopped satsumas to the mincemeat. It tasted lovely. Found recipe on line. What pastry do you use ? Do you add egg or sugar or grated citrus fruit peel to it?

kittylester Thu 05-Dec-19 15:16:43

merlot, I've bought frozen gf puff pastry and I'm going to try doing a swiss roll thingy and then slice them. It might work!!

merlotgran Thu 05-Dec-19 15:22:28

Good luck, kitty. I find bought gf pastry has the texture of shoe leather.

Not trying to put you off or anything. grin

hazel93 Thu 05-Dec-19 15:28:10

As it's Christmas I make a very short shortcrust pastry, add orange zest and use juice to bring together.

Lins1066 Thu 05-Dec-19 15:36:19

Yes I freeze them in patty tins overnight * Lynker*, then transfer them to a large Tupperware box with some greaseproof paper between each layer. Also use smaller sandwich type boxes from places like Poundland.

DanniRae Thu 05-Dec-19 16:14:23

I just bought a dozen mince pies from M&S - that'll last us a week. I gave up making them when bought ones were much nicer and I always hated making pastry grin

MissAdventure Thu 05-Dec-19 17:39:28

Mr Kipling makes mine, for me.

Lynker Thu 05-Dec-19 17:43:58

Thank you Lins1066. I am now tasked with providing mince pies for the whole family and freezing them uncooked seems like a great idea. I will give it a try!

kittylester Thu 05-Dec-19 18:02:55

That's very good of him MissA.

Sainsbury's had no brandy butter this morning - what's that all about?

NotAGran55 Thu 05-Dec-19 18:08:24

I will buy 6 in Waitrose on Christmas Eve when I do ‘ the shop’ .

Lins1066 Thu 05-Dec-19 18:12:07

DH went to Morrisons this morning and he said it was like Christmas Eve it was so busy.
Maybe they were all searching for brandy butter kitty

Hetty58 Thu 05-Dec-19 18:15:14

If 'everyone loves them' so much, how about giving them the recipe and ingredients?

Gonegirl Thu 05-Dec-19 18:28:36

Mr Waitrose will make mine next year.

Just made second lot of mincemeat. Should have looked at the reviews. hmm

James Martin recipe. So much suet! What was I thinking! Sigh!

Hetty you win. (where's my book)