Gransnet forums

Christmas

Christmas Day dinner

(108 Posts)
Greciangirl Fri 13-Dec-19 17:54:53

My daughter wants me to cook Christmas dinner this year.
Neither of us likes doing it and I have expressed my displeasure at doing it. My reasons are : I have done it nearly every year for goodness knows how long. I am now 74years old, and feel I need a break from it.

We compromised last year and had a buffet type meal.
I’m ok with that, but no, she wants her and partner and grandson to all come over to me.
Neither my partner or myself want a huge turkey dinner, but she always goes overboard and wants me to cook piles of food. Everything with her is more, more, more. Same with presents.

I know that if I cave in I will regret it and end up feeling resentful. Ideally we would just like to visit in the morning and exchange presents, spend a bit of time with them, then come home to our preferred grub.
If I object at all she grinds me down and tries to make me feel guilty.
I am so fed up with it and it’s making me feel depressed and anxious. We both get stressed out if in the kitchen together cooking.
Anyone else have to endure Christmas misery.

mamagran Wed 18-Dec-19 09:20:09

Hmm... I've not really heard that in my circle of friends and family before. I help my mum out all the time when we prepare for Christmas (I am 50). So, it is a team effort. I always used to be in the kitchen with her when she was baking and preparing all sorts of deserts for the holidays even 3 days in advance! My mum was always helping her mum as well - for any celebrations she would always be there, excuse my language, working her ass off! So, I feel like I grew up seeing this and I could not do the opposite to her now.
Maybe try to tell your daughter to turn this into a family thing, where everyone contributes.

jeanie99 Wed 18-Dec-19 01:21:45

GrecianGirl
You sound stressed to death look
Your daughter is putting pressure on you to take the Christmas day cooking away from her, very selfish but there you go.
You don't want a fall out at Christmas so these are your options,
Tell her honestly you do not feel confident to do the honours this year and suggest you all book a table somewhere to have Christmas dinner OR.
Buy everything in cooked already.
Saying this is the last time you will be doing it.
Best of luck

Harris27 Mon 16-Dec-19 18:10:48

Tell her your handing the baton over and it’s her time now to get on with it!

M0nica Mon 16-Dec-19 18:07:18

Nancool, bully for you, but a lot of people are not so fortunate and by 74 many people have all kinds of medical problems, not lifestyle induced, that limit their activities and energy levels.

I am older than you and still active and medical problem free. I appreciate how fortunate I am and avoid rubbing the noses of people in the doodo. Most would love to be like me but cannot. Things can change quite literally over night, so count your blessings that you have your health - while you do and show compassion for those who can't. You could be one of them this time next week.

newnanny Mon 16-Dec-19 16:23:32

Just tell dd you don't feel up to it. As you get older you are feeling more tired. But offer to go over to see her Xmas morning for an hour or so. Remember you are the Mum in this relationship! Your dd should be more respectful.

Brismum Mon 16-Dec-19 16:18:54

So sorry Haweral for you and your grandson? Does your son agree with this or is he going along with his wife?? Hope you can enjoy being away for Christmas and the New Year can bring some sort of healing and reconciliation.??

inkcog Mon 16-Dec-19 08:58:10

Izabella, gosh what an idyllic life in Barrow in Furness.

Shropshirelass Mon 16-Dec-19 08:50:47

I think your daughter is being very selfish. She should be cooking for you, you have done more than your share, it is her turn now. If she wants a dinner with all the trimmings then she can do it herself. Stand your ground and do Christmas your way.

Izabella Mon 16-Dec-19 05:35:39

We shall collect cockles from the beach, chill white wine and dunk in home made bread. Maybe a swim after lunch. Maybe not .......

Hawera1 Mon 16-Dec-19 05:04:53

I have just had access cut off from my grandson because I didn't invite my dil for Christmas lunch for two years. I was I'll with rheumatoid arthritis and could hardly get out of a chair. They forced themselves on us last year and they sat down and did nothing to help not did they bring any food. Now the situation is going to.need family group counselling to resolve. Seriously she's worrying about first world problems and holding a grudge and using our grandson as blackmail if we don't jump to her demands. Now we are cut off we are devastated but we are going away for Christmas.

blue60 Sun 15-Dec-19 13:59:49

Just don't do it.

jacalpad Sun 15-Dec-19 10:47:51

I have a friend who is one of six children. They now all have family and they usually try to get as many as possible together for Christmas Day lunch - which is usually around 24 people! They take it in turns to go to one another’s house each year, and it is the full turkey dinner. Last year one brother said he was happy to take his turn, but he would be buying frozen Christmas meals from Iceland and cooking them in the oven/microwave. Everyone was happy with that, and that is what happened. I was told it all went very well. Greciangirl, could you consider getting frozen meals from Iceland or M&S, and adding extras like pigs in blankets, a special stuffing, microwave red cabbage etc? Hopefully you will find an acceptable compromise and all enjoy the day.

Esspee Sun 15-Dec-19 10:02:24

OP. We would all like to know what you have done. You can't put off making a decision much longer.
Have you given in to the bullying or have you stood up for yourself?
I do hope it's the latter.
Enjoy your Christmastchsmile.

nannyYvie Sun 15-Dec-19 01:09:21

Oh crikey. I'm so sorry for posting in the wrong place. Have no idea how to correct it. Thank you for putting me straight MissAdventure ?

glammagran Sun 15-Dec-19 00:30:51

I’m 64 and obviously some of you are a lot older and fitter than me. I now have a shot hip. 2 years ago I did Christmas for 14 family members - I thought I’d die. We were so overcrowded DD and BF slept in the conservatory (on camp beds). Last year I had 10. This year I’m only having 3 on the day and 6 family members, 3 days later (dinner in a freezer already). I couldn’t cater a huge number of family members again.

MissAdventure Sun 15-Dec-19 00:10:34

nannyYvie, you're in the Christmas forum! smile

It would be better if you posted in the chat, or health forums.

nannyYvie Sun 15-Dec-19 00:01:16

This is only my second post so I'm still relatively new to this and I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this topic. Please advise if it isn't.
After having a frank discussion with my work mate about the menopause and its symptoms recently, she later confided in me that since experiencing the menopause 2 years ago, she has lost all interest in the bedroom department. Whilst she has a supportive and patient partner, she feels desperately sorry for him as he is somewhat younger than her (she's in her fifties) and she feels that she really must turn matters around as it has been going on for so long with no sign of change. She did say that this is totally out of character as to how she was before entering this phase of her life so it isn't as if she had a low sex drive before. She has said that the only way she can bear to be touched is if she has a good old drink beforehand, but this clearly isn't ideal. I suggested speaking to her GP, but she is reluctant to do so as she doesn't think any of her GPs would or could offer any suitable advice other than to talk to her partner as they are all in their thirties. She also doesn't want to search the internet for answers, but she gave me permission to ask others for advice when I told her about GN. It's been useful to me as a new gran. Does anyone know if this is something that can be reversed in any way and if so, how can she or should she go about it?

maddyone Sat 14-Dec-19 23:33:17

Lots of good advice on here, I like Urmstongran’s suggestion, say you’ll do it one last time, and never again. Then buy the frozen this, that and the other as many have suggested, to cut down the work on the day. Maybe even set the table on Christmas Eve so you don’t have to think about that on Christmas Day.

My dear mother told me when my first child was three, that she wasn’t going to cook any more Christmas dinners now, as she was too old, and she’d got two married daughters and she (and my Dad) were going to spend one Christmas with us and the other with my sister. There were no ifs, buts, or maybes, that was what was happening. At this time she was 53 years old!!! And she lived 250 miles away from us, so if she spent Christmas with us, it meant a minimum of a weeks stay. Mum never was diplomatic!
Anyway we accepted what she said and they came to us until five years ago. My parents in law came the year they were at my sister’s.

However, now I reap the benefits of our example, we are now at one or other of our children’s houses on Christmas Day. But I did enjoy all those Christmases, complete with my rather bossy Mum. Sadly Dad is no more, but 92 year old Mum goes with us to whoever is hosting each year as she now lives only ten minutes away from us.

Saetana Sat 14-Dec-19 23:30:33

People need to start being firm about Christmas - my MIL does not want to go to her oldest son's for Christmas (my husband's older brother) but has been talked into it. My family all prefer Christmas Day at least on their own, us included, if we are close enough (most of us are not) then we/they will visit Christmas Eve or Boxing Day. Stand your ground - if you do not want to go, then don't! Simple as that.

llizzie2 Sat 14-Dec-19 23:24:25

Let them come. Give them salad. I cannot imagine how I would feel if you were me. I am 79 and have not cooked a Christmas dinner for anyone since my husband passed in 2009 and if any of my children asked that of me they would get short shrift.

You can order some food from Tesco(I know they do this) or other supermarkets to arrive at THEIR address and let them get on with cooking it. It does not have to be a lot. The supermarket delivers to any address if you follow the leads to changing address for one delivery. Then enjoy yourself like I do. Watch what you like on TV. stay up all night if you want to. You don't even have to answer the phone. Let them call the next day.

Lizbethann55 Sat 14-Dec-19 22:53:43

I sympathise with you although I love cooking Christmas dinner for my brood and am not yet ready to hand over the apron. One daughter did offer last year, but she isn't actually a very good cook and never cooks enough. However, I do think it is a bit late in the year and a bit close to Christmas to put your foot down when your DD has obviously presumed they will be coming to you. BUT you can make it as easy as possible. Turkey crown ( no complicated cooking or carving) , frozen roast potatoes and only two veg, carrots and sprouts, frozen. Ready made stuffing balls, pigs in blankets and gravy. Christmas pud and single cream. Absolutely no extras and only just enough to go round. Then make it known, as nicely and lovingly as you can that that you hope they all enjoy the meal as it will be the last one you cook as you are now too old. Is there an apron you usually wear? Maybe you could formally and with a big smile, officially and literally hand it over. You love your family. Don't turn it into an unpleasant event. If it is to be the last one you cook, it should be a celebration of all the Christmas dinners you have cooked in the past. Enjoy it!

Hetty58 Sat 14-Dec-19 21:47:24

Greciangirl, if you really can't bring yourself to put your foot down (as you should) maybe now is the time for your oven to stop working (just remove the fuse from the switch) so it'll have to be at your daughter's place!

Truddles Sat 14-Dec-19 20:50:22

100% with you.

Truddles Sat 14-Dec-19 20:46:27

Oooh... rather smug? Lots of presumptions there... perhaps I am just a person who appreciates how lucky I am to have my remaining family around me on Christmas Day, to celebrate our time and love with one another? I will be travelling 300 miles to see my darling family. My husband will be travelling 7,000 miles to spend time with me and my daughter and grandchildren. It’s important for us all to spend as much time as we can together, and we do so joyously and without grudge, no matter what.

Urmstongran Sat 14-Dec-19 20:31:43

I’ve enjoyed reading all these posts! Lots of different viewpoints for Greciangirl to think about.

My tuppence worth ...

Firstly, how come some people even leave it until 10 days before Christmas to decide what they’re going to do?
?

That’s just added stress!

Secondly, I don’t know your family dynamics and maybe your daughter might if offended, be one of these ‘no contact’ types of people and you might be walking on eggshells around her. Many grandmothers on GN seem to have estranged families. Do you fear something similar if you don’t go along with her blackmail?

I don’t think 73y is old.

But, if you don’t fancy all the palaver, you shouldn’t have to!

Your daughter isn’t inviting you for Christmas dinner, now or prolly never. (Like the new word - from Gonegirl on another thread and it made me smile!)

Your best choice in my humble is (to keep the peace, preserve strong family ties and save all this angst from ever happening again!) would be - cook the bluddy dinner one last time‼️

Tell your daughter this is DEFINITELY the last one - so enjoy it everyone!
?

The, try to enjoy it all yourself. The planning, buying, chopping, peeling, stirring ... all the time sipping from a glass of something delicious in the kitchen whilst your partner sets the table and sorts out the drinks.

You can sing happily to yourself ‘this is the LAST time’ ??

Then when it’s all over, no last minute plans and worries next Christmas! Peace reigns.

Happy Christmas anyway - whatever YOU decide! x