Gransnet forums

Christmas

The angst of Christmas

(79 Posts)
MawB Fri 13-Dec-19 18:12:19

Glancing through the various threads I am horrified at the pitfalls of Christmas.
Never mind whether or not you invite Great Auntie Maude and the in-laws or that it is “their turn “ to host, now you have to worry about
Norfolk Bronze/Tesco Value/vegan nut roast
Proper roasties or Aunt Bessie’s
Gluten free Christmas pud or will just organic do
The smoked salmon starter - is it Wild salmon, moderately annoyed salmon, farmed salmon (how do the dogs herd them up) or do I give up and do prawn cocktail?
Christmas wrapping paper- a no-no, use reusable cloth bags, but bear in mind Amazon’s tax history when you realise they are the only people still stocking them
Christmas cards or e-cards or emails or none of the above (do nowt and pretend you are donating to charity)
Crackers? OMG no, more plastic tat!
Presents - more charity shop tat which will go straight back, secret santa or Tiffany’s?
Don’t drink and drive of course, but think of the environment and don’t drive at all. Take the train, natch! Platform 7 at Crewe junction is a brilliant place to spend Christmas - think “Brief Encounter.
While you are at it, should you or your children risk going to strange doorsteps , collecting boxes at the ready and hope for a donation in exchange for two lines of We Wish You a Merry Christmas or do you make the poor suckers stand out in the cold for all 19 verses of In Dulce Jubilo (with descant)
So Seasons Greetings and Happy Holidays because of course we don’t want to offend anybody by letting Christ into Christmas, do we? ? ?

M0nica Sun 15-Dec-19 11:02:02

Actually, salmon of any kind is off the menu in our house at Christmas as DGD is allergic to it. However we will feast on it the couple of days before she arrives and after she has left.

Now Maw has put it in my mind, I wonder if she would eat kipper?

BradfordLass72 Sun 15-Dec-19 08:00:53

Probably because it's trying to hold back all that wild salmon....

agnurse Sun 15-Dec-19 05:40:13

M0nica

Don't get me started on that smoked wild salmon. As I said before, you have to watch the wild stuff. It probably smoked some marijuana and now it's high as well as wild.

Callistemon Sat 14-Dec-19 23:39:36

Not even a moderately annoyed salmon, Saetana?

Saetana Sat 14-Dec-19 23:36:41

My husband and I have been spending Christmas alone for 30 years- if we happen to live near close family at the time then we will visit for Christmas Eve or Boxing Day - we NEVER spend Christmas Day with anyone else, its our day and not to be shared with anyone.

Callistemon Sat 14-Dec-19 23:20:26

Especially riding all that way on a donkey Bradford, about 90 miles on rough tracks, carrying all their provisions.

Although goodness know how my Mary will get there as I haven't even started knitting the donkey yet.
Donkey brown acrylic, pure sheep's wool or spun donkey hair?

BradfordLass72 Sat 14-Dec-19 22:44:48

grin MawB oh, so true.

Mind you, arriving in a crowded town after a long, hot and dusty journey, when your waters have just broken and the room you'd hoped for is unavailable, is real angst.

Still, she managed and the baby even grew up to make something of a mark in the world.

Tedd1 Sat 14-Dec-19 22:33:14

Really cheered me up

Callistemon Sat 14-Dec-19 22:28:25

Feelingmyage yes, I have heard even up to two years later.
Plenty of time for even procrastinator me to sew them up and stuff them.

Now - acrylic or wool?
Acrylic wrecks the environment
But they're not going to be washed much
Pure wool?
Vegans will be annoyed at my exploitation of animals

No such worries in anno domini
Or was it 6 BC?
Or BCE if you prefer.

No such angst then, acrylic hadn't been invented.

Feelingmyage55 Sat 14-Dec-19 22:05:54

This is not the kitchen but I have left some mulled wine anyway to add cheer ?

Feelingmyage55 Sat 14-Dec-19 22:04:36

Crackers about crackers in this house. Apparently they are a no-no now even although they are left over from last year. Advice on what to do about the organic vegan who does not want to eat with the rest of us - or maybe no words would be better. Thinking about suggesting she eats in the garden! ??????

Feelingmyage55 Sat 14-Dec-19 21:59:37

callistemon The kings were very late arrivals anyway so don’t worry - about med June will be fine - maybe even June 2021. Biblical scholars welcome to correct me.

Doodle Sat 14-Dec-19 21:54:35

I’ll join you maddyone but can you make mine a double ? ?? I’ve just finished doing some wrapping..phew tchgrin

sodapop Sat 14-Dec-19 21:47:29

Me too Maddyone with a mince pie or two

maddyone Sat 14-Dec-19 21:08:15

Ok Doodle, I’ll have a little tipple now wine, anyone want to join me?

Doodle Sat 14-Dec-19 20:39:38

maddyone please have some Christmas cheer. It is a lighthearted thread not condescending in any way.

MawB Sat 14-Dec-19 20:37:02

I am not condescending all the time , just trying to bring a bit of a smile into a grim few days on Gransnet.
Thank goodness some people got the point.
#canipossiblydomore

maddyone Sat 14-Dec-19 20:32:14

Sorry, condescending all the time.

MawB Sat 14-Dec-19 20:31:08

“Condescendingly all “ = ??
Surely everybody (else) got the point abut a woke 2019 Christmas?

M0nica Sat 14-Dec-19 20:24:11

I need to think about that. Kippers and blinis to start Christmas lunch? Should I just put the indigestion tablets beside the kippers or crumble them over the top?

Doodle Sat 14-Dec-19 20:21:02

This was a wonderful and funny thread. After all the politics recently it’s a breath of fresh air. I am still giggling about the salmon. tchgrin. Humour is what keeps some of us going at times. It’s importance should not be ignored.

maddyone Sat 14-Dec-19 20:17:53

Maw, no need to be condescendingly all.

MawB Sat 14-Dec-19 19:57:05

Or as I have heard - how can smoking be harmful when it cures kippers?

MawB Sat 14-Dec-19 19:55:30

Vaped salmon?

M0nica Sat 14-Dec-19 19:54:42

It's the smoked salmon that worries me. Smoking can kill you and the smoked salmon is clearly dead. is it safe, or should I find some smoked salmon that only smoked filtered cigarettes or was vegan or something, do these exist, or should we just have sardines instead.