Gransnet forums

Christmas

Yorkshire pudding or no Yorkshire pudding?

(77 Posts)
Lizbethann55 Sun 15-Dec-19 20:58:11

Last Christmas my DS's delightful girlfriend (now fiancee) joined us all for Christmas dinner. In the weeks before Christmas Day we chatted about Christmas food and traditions and it transpired that her family always has Yorkshire puddings with Christmas dinner. Much joking and teasing followed . I was "horrified" that something that should only be served alongside roast beef or as a cosy bed for sausages should find it's way to Christmas dinner. Obviously, in the name of family love and harmony, I provided Yorkshire puds. (Strictly Aunt Bessies frozen, 4 minutes , straight out of freezer). But I wondered, do you all do YPs? Is it regional? Girlfriend is southern. We are northern.or are we just behind the times.

MissAdventure Sun 15-Dec-19 22:22:23

I'm a southerner.
You may just have something there about it being regional.

Cabbie21 Sun 15-Dec-19 22:22:41

Never had Yorkshires with Christmas dinner myself, but why not? If you go to a Carvery for Sunday roast there’s always Yorkshires available, whichever meat you have.

Cabbie21 Sun 15-Dec-19 22:25:48

Oh I meant to say, my parents were southerners, and I lived for many years in Yorkshire.

Oopsminty Sun 15-Dec-19 22:27:29

Never had them when growing up. But in this past few years they have made their way on to our Christmas Dinner plates.

I love them. Would eat them with anything!

AllotmentLil Sun 15-Dec-19 22:28:21

My DD has, in the last few years, developed a taste for Yorkshires with every roast meal so we'll be having them on Christmas Day and she’ll be providing them. We’re in Scotland so it’s not only southerners who are “weird” Lemongrove!

Callistemon Sun 15-Dec-19 22:28:50

"Mustard with mutton - you must be a glutton"
as my mum used to say.

Oopsminty Sun 15-Dec-19 22:29:55

Actually it was my youngest daughter. She just loves them and asked if I could make her some for Christmas Dinner and everyone wanted some!

sodapop Sun 15-Dec-19 22:30:38

I'm a Yorkshire lass and would not serve Yorkshire pudding with a traditional Christmas dinner. Only because there is enough on the plate already. I prefer my Yorkies the old fashioned way as a starter with gravy.

Granny23 Sun 15-Dec-19 22:32:26

Since my Yorkshire/Scot SIL became part of our family he has always cooked the main course for Christmas and other celebratory meals. He makes his own Yorkshire Puds which are delicious and have become traditional for our whole family.

MiniMoon Sun 15-Dec-19 22:33:56

Oh no, Yorkshire pudding is only served with roast beef in this house.
Toad in the hole is, if course, Yorkshire pudding with sausages.
Lamb has mint sauce,
Turkey or goose has stuffing and bread sauce, as does chicken,
Pork has stuffing and apples sauce.
This was how it went when I was growing up in Cumbria, and how I've have continued all my married life.

dragonfly46 Sun 15-Dec-19 22:34:15

I am a born and bred Yorkshire girl and we have Yorkshire pudding with every roast and on Christmas Day.

aggie Sun 15-Dec-19 22:39:30

I can't abide them !

Sussexborn Sun 15-Dec-19 22:40:10

Growing up we only had Yorkshire pudding with beef but now have it with beef, pork or lamb. Usually put some frozen ones in for DD2 to go with Christmas turkey but haven’t thought about putting them with chicken.

midnightschild Sun 15-Dec-19 22:46:26

Yorkies with every roast here. Only in the last few years though since we moved up North. I’m sure my DH would have them with every meal if allowed.
As a child in the Midlands I was given them to eat after my Sunday dinner with jam and I still love them like that if there are any left over - which is rare!

notanan2 Sun 15-Dec-19 22:52:19

Yorkshires with any roast. We usually have them with sausages.

Not a fan at Christmas personally as too filling but who cares what others do, the point of welcoming new partners is that traditions get blended.

notanan2 Sun 15-Dec-19 22:53:16

P.s. she might laugh along with your mocking, doesnt mean shes enjoying it.

Callistemon Sun 15-Dec-19 22:56:47

She probably isn't, notanan but is too nice to say so.

M0nica Sun 15-Dec-19 23:29:59

Quite frankly, there are so many other items of food on the plate at Christmas: turkey, ham, herb stuffing, sausage meat stuffing, sprouts, parsnips, roast potatoes, cranberry sauce and gravy, there is no room for a Yorkshire pudding.

Anyway it should be eaten before the meat dish, not with it. Its purpose was to fill people up before the meat came to the table to ensure a little meat would go a long way.

cornergran Sun 15-Dec-19 23:45:19

Yorkshire pudding with every roast meal here including turkey so yes, there are some at Christmas. Far from the origins but it suits our family.

Maggiemaybe Sun 15-Dec-19 23:51:45

There’s always room for a Yorkshire pudding on the plate in this house, even on Christmas Day. smile Aunt Bessie will be doing the honours though - she’s better at it than me.

maddyone Sun 15-Dec-19 23:53:58

I live in the south, but was born in the north.
We have Yorkshire Pudding, home made, with roast beef.
Stuffing and apple sauce with pork, mint sauce with lamb, and stuffing with chicken and turkey. And of course, cranberry sauce with turkey.

newnanny Mon 16-Dec-19 00:01:00

We have Yorkshire puddings with all roast here and I fear my sons would riot if they did not get them. At Christmas I always cook a turkey crown and a beef as one son is not keen on turkey.

BlueBelle Mon 16-Dec-19 00:02:00

I have any sauce I fancy with any dinner, I have no rules about this with that and that with this
And yes I ve often had Yorkies as an ‘afters’ with golden syrup or some sugar and melted butter yummy yum

newnanny Mon 16-Dec-19 00:02:11

My dh always makes the Yorkshire batter as he comes from Yorkshire. We never have Aunt Bessies.

Flaxseed Mon 16-Dec-19 01:53:39

Yorkies with every roast here too and certainly with Christmas Dinner! I am from the South.