Gransnet forums

Christmas

Yorkshire pudding or no Yorkshire pudding?

(77 Posts)
Lizbethann55 Sun 15-Dec-19 20:58:11

Last Christmas my DS's delightful girlfriend (now fiancee) joined us all for Christmas dinner. In the weeks before Christmas Day we chatted about Christmas food and traditions and it transpired that her family always has Yorkshire puddings with Christmas dinner. Much joking and teasing followed . I was "horrified" that something that should only be served alongside roast beef or as a cosy bed for sausages should find it's way to Christmas dinner. Obviously, in the name of family love and harmony, I provided Yorkshire puds. (Strictly Aunt Bessies frozen, 4 minutes , straight out of freezer). But I wondered, do you all do YPs? Is it regional? Girlfriend is southern. We are northern.or are we just behind the times.

Maggiemaybe Thu 26-Dec-19 09:49:50

Well I found a new way of serving Yorkshires with the Christmas dinner this year that solved the problem of no space on the plate.

I left them in the oven by mistake, so they were served up just as we finished everything else. smile

Sarahmob Tue 17-Dec-19 13:16:48

In our house Yorkshire pudding is served with every meat. However, because of all the extras on Christmas dinner we won’t be having Yorkshire’s.

sodapop Tue 17-Dec-19 12:14:47

Send me your sprouts MissAdventure I love them.

DoraMarr Tue 17-Dec-19 11:28:18

Always. Even if I’m just cooking for me I always make Yorkshire puddings to go with a roast. I have pancakes for breakfast next day with the rest of the batter.
My grandmother, not a good cook, made a giant Yorkshire pudding in a meat tin, with the previous week’s dripping. The outside edges were all golden and crispy, but the middle remained stubbornly flat and stodgy. We children always had slices of the middle bit cold the next day with co-op mixed fruit jam on top. That combination of flavours, savoury from the dripping on the bottom, sweet from the jam on top, was delicious.

mamagran Tue 17-Dec-19 10:20:29

Yes please! Yorkshire pudding drenched in home made gravy. But I only have it with Sunday Roast.

Juliette Tue 17-Dec-19 10:18:09

“The same pudding was served with roast pork but in this case some herbs were added to the batter before cooking.
We added some chopped onion and chopped sage, thyme and parsley to make a savoury dish”

From Alison Uttleys book Recipes from an old Farmhouse.

I’ve never tried it but always thought it would be an interesting addition to pork or poultry.

CoolioC Tue 17-Dec-19 10:04:17

*miss adventure”. Good job you are missing the Brussels this year, looks like a shortage due to a lorry overturn full of sprouts! The local town where the lorry overturned looks shortly to be blown off the map!

Yorkshire’s only with beef, originally from the South.

Witzend Tue 17-Dec-19 09:41:38

Not here. I think they'd probably be popular and I don't have any objection on principle, but it'd be too much faff - just another last minute thing to think of.

We have a lot of pigs in blankets and roast spuds, though.
We will be 7 adults and 2 little ones on the day - I made 48
P in Bs last night!

Katyj Tue 17-Dec-19 06:25:06

Yorkshire lass here.Yorkshire pudding with any meat, or on their own with onion gravy, always make extra so we can have them cold later with treacle.

Nansnet Tue 17-Dec-19 05:18:59

My gran always used to serve yorkshire pudding with any meat, but not with poultry, and never with Christmas dinner. I only ever serve it with roast beef, as did my mum. This year, my daughter and her boyfriend are hosting Christmas day for us all, and his family have asked if she can do yorkshires ... it was a very firm 'no!' She told them that yorkshires don't belong on a turkey dinner, and if they wanted them they'd have to make their own and bring them on the day, as there won't be space in her ovens (she has two full-sized ovens, but won't be making space for yorkies!Lol).

MissAdventure Mon 16-Dec-19 21:33:27

I'm going to solve the problem of not enough room on my plate for Yorkshires by omitting brussels this year. shock

Maggymay Mon 16-Dec-19 21:14:18

Only served with beef I’m from the south.

Harris27 Mon 16-Dec-19 20:13:35

Weve had this conversation today. Work. I don’t do Yorkshire puds on Christmas Day and I’m from the north east. My mam Always said if I cook Yorkshire puddung on Christmas Day it was just a Sunday dinner and I agreed.

Flaxseed Mon 16-Dec-19 20:09:43

shysal
I’m one of those who has cauliflower cheese!
We all love it here!

GrannySomerset Mon 16-Dec-19 09:41:48

Christmas Day has more than enough to eat without adding Yorkshire puds. We have them with left over gravy before the cold turkey on Boxing Day. We have Christmas pud on Boxing Day too, when it is relished much more.

shysal Mon 16-Dec-19 09:21:30

I don't cook Yorkshires but I always enjoy them when served them at other places.
One thing I find hard to understand is the recent addition of cauliflower cheese to Christmas dinners. I can't imagine it goes very well with gravy.

GracesGranMK3 Mon 16-Dec-19 08:48:23

Writing from Yorkshire I don't see how there can be any hard and fast rule. Mince pies used to be made with minced meat but the Victorian's, who invented the modern Christmas, changed that. Anything can evolve and most families have their own way of doing things. Nice to think your future DIL has brought something new to the family.

Yorkshires, like so many good foods, are poor people's food and started at a time when I doubt anyone had ever seen a turkey. The batter was put under the meat to absorb the dripping juices and served first to fill people up and stretch the little meat you could afford.

The thing that surprises me is how different my brother's 'English' Christmas is to mine. We both lived in a household where custard was served with the Christmas pudding with cream for my mother. When he spent Christmas with us some years ago we had a last-minute rush on to make some Brandy Butter - never a part of Christmas in our house.

ginny Mon 16-Dec-19 08:34:50

Yorkies with Christmas dinner in our family. Mind you, they are always called pork pies, since one of our DDs called them that when she was tiny.

Lins1066 Mon 16-Dec-19 08:03:27

I always make my own Yorkshire pudding but only have it with roast beef. Although we love it in this house I wouldn't have it with Christmas dinner, there wouldn't be any room on the plate - I do tend to do a lot of veg.

NannyJan53 Mon 16-Dec-19 07:59:38

That should read Golden Syrup! smile

Yehbutnobut Mon 16-Dec-19 07:59:26

No way!

NannyJan53 Mon 16-Dec-19 07:57:44

As a child we used to have Yorkshire Pudding as Dessert with Golden Treacle. Couldn't eat that now though!

BlueBelle Mon 16-Dec-19 07:50:52

Bevan why though ? ??

travelsafar Mon 16-Dec-19 07:49:09

My nan use to make 'batter' pudding with dried fruit in it served with thick custard made with steralized milk as dessert, it was lovely.smile

Missfoodlove Mon 16-Dec-19 07:39:40

As a Yorkshire girl living in Yorkshire it’s a firm NO!
I don’t think there would be room on the plate anyway!!