Gransnet forums

Christmas

Will Father Christmas manage to get down your chimney grandma

(51 Posts)
jeanie99 Sun 15-Dec-19 23:51:38

My four year old grandson arrived last Friday and is visiting with our son wife and two children for a 3 week stay.
He was very concerned and examined our chimney to see if it was large enough for FC to actually get down with his presents.
I managed to quickly tag together the idea of perhaps he might come in the back door and mumbled a few other ideas and he did seem quite satisfied with my answer.
Bit tricky with a four year old and I don't want to spoil this very special part of a little boys Christmas world.
I would love to hear others explanation to their own family little ones.

Madmaggie Mon 16-Dec-19 12:04:30

A little fairy who looks a lot like tinkerbell whooshes in via the keyhole in the door and lets Santa in - simples tchwink

ReadyMeals Mon 16-Dec-19 12:04:39

I know what I'd like to tell my little GS if DD will allow it: These days Santa has modern technology and sends most of his presents via Amazon. It's the nearest to the truth one can get without actually ruining the myth of Santa's existence.

GrandmasueUK Mon 16-Dec-19 12:41:48

When my son was 6 I was a single parent and managed to buy a lovely second-hand bike for him. He was thrilled on Christmas morning when he unwrapped it. Then he asked was it new because there were some small scratches on it. I said it was new; but obviously Santa had scratched it on the way down the chimney, which was very narrow. Phew, he accepted it, saying, "Of course"! He's 36 now - I might tell him the truth soon. grin

Aepgirl Mon 16-Dec-19 13:11:15

Nothing stops Father Christmas coming in and leaving presents - he has special magic.

kwest Mon 16-Dec-19 13:52:08

How Lovely. It sounds magical. Enjoy every moment.

Rosina Mon 16-Dec-19 15:16:08

I started pondering this one about a week ago - what to say to the little ones if they asked. DiL summed it up quite breezily - 'I just say 'it's magic'' Sorted.

Saggi Mon 16-Dec-19 15:33:26

We have no chimney but my children knew if that was the case Santa had s ‘magic key’ ...how else could he leave the presents. Grandchildren now have chimney (2 in fact) ...one stocking is left by one chimney. , the other stocking by the other chimney. But mum and dad still leave a magic key outside “just in case” Santa’s put on bit of weight! This from a five year old .

timetogo2016 Mon 16-Dec-19 15:39:34

Scentia your spot on.
That's exactly what I told my G/children too.
They thought it was great.
Then the youngest asked if he got it from Timpsons after I stopped laughing I said no the elves made it of course.
Kids ehhahaha.

MiniMoon Mon 16-Dec-19 15:41:51

Didn't you know? Santa can change his size and shape to fit any chimney.
He can even enter a house or flat through the central heating vent.
If you need proof, just watch "The Santa Clause", with Tim Allen.

Granless Mon 16-Dec-19 15:56:32

A story told me, only recently, by an old man when a child.
He asked his ‘mam’ about Santa; the chimney explanation was given. Some days later said child asked his mam why was his little friend black, yes, you’ve guessed it, ‘he fell down the chimney’ was mam’s quick answer.

grandtanteJE65 Mon 16-Dec-19 16:40:47

One of my schoolfriends firmly believed when we were about ten that Santa Claus had a magic lotion he rubbed on himself so that he could slide down the narrowest chimney.

I don't know where she got the idea from, perhaps from seeing channel swimmers rubbing oil onto themselves?

Notsooldat75 Mon 16-Dec-19 17:01:37

My seven year old daughter suspended her belief in Santa when she woke up on Christmas Eve to the sound of ‘Santa’ creeping into her room wearing a pink dressing gown and hiccuping (after a very long alcoholic wait for her to go to sleep)!

Buffybee Mon 16-Dec-19 17:36:32

Talking about magic!
I used to tell my twin Granddaughters when they were 4 or 5 that I had fairies in my garden, who lived under the shrubs.
Of course they had to sit quietly before they would appear, it gave me a quiet half hour now and then.
Lovely times!

NanaandGrampy Mon 16-Dec-19 17:39:18

I made a magic key for ours and they use it every year. He leaves a button from his coat under the tree each year too :-)

M0nica Mon 16-Dec-19 17:48:26

When DC asked about all the santas they saw everywhere. I explained that Christmas was a very busy time for santa, what with all those shops and parties and places he was required and organising the toys and the flight on Christmas, so what he did was to recruit all his friends to pretend to be him in shops and garden centres etc, so that he could concentrate on his all important stocking filling mission.

DGC were told the same.

Tamayra Mon 16-Dec-19 22:13:05

My dear Brother in-law who lived with us always donned Santa coat hat & beard before tiptoeing into my sons bedrooms & leaving stockings on their beds
One Christmas morning my youngest about 7 yrs piped up & said
“Saw Uncle Tink dressed as Santa last night. He put stocking on my bed “
Ummm game over !!!!

Lizbethann55 Mon 16-Dec-19 22:55:58

Back in the 70s when I started at teacher training collegec in Sheffield, I was doing a local history course and we were taken on a walk around parts of Sheffield. We saw a new housing estate. The lecturer with us asked what was missing from the houses. There were no chimneys. In shocked horror every last one of us said " How will Father Christmas get in?" ?????

BradfordLass72 Tue 17-Dec-19 03:19:15

Do any of your grand-children follow Santa's progress on NORAD?

www.noradsanta.org

Witzend Tue 17-Dec-19 07:03:44

Yes, the magic key! Gdd was only 3 last Christmas but still worried about how FC would manage, since they've got a woodburner!
This year, after she's been to see FC more than once, we've had to explain that since FC can't be everywhere at once (despite being magic). he has a lot of helpers.

My father was once FC at a work children's party, and a very jolly one he'd have been, too. There was a lovely photo of him in his FC outfit - goodness knows what happened to it. My mother threw out so many things once dementia had taken hold. ?

M0nica Tue 17-Dec-19 07:23:10

Yes, mine do (follow NORAD)

M0nica Tue 17-Dec-19 07:26:34

A friend always dressed up as Santa and turned up at his house every Christmas.

His children felt very sorry for their father because somehow he had always gone out somewhere to do something when Santa arrived, so never saw him.

I think they were about 10 before they realised there was a reason why Daddy was always out when Santa came!

Sara65 Tue 17-Dec-19 07:39:45

My grandchildren have seen so many Father Christmas’s one even turned up at the school Christmas fair in a helicopter, but my six year old grandson firmly believes that the one in the local garden centre is the real one!
So wherever they’re taken to see Father Christmas, there has to be a trip to the garden centre, it’s a bit odd because he seems to know their names, so I spend the whole time trying to see if it’s someone we know, or if, maybe, he is the real Father Christmas!

Lizbethann55 Tue 17-Dec-19 07:49:05

Sarah65 . It's the real one, obviously!!!?????

Time2 Tue 24-Dec-19 00:24:54

When my daughter was about 4, we had a real struggle to get her to go to sleep on Christmas Eve, she was just SO excited! Eventually she settled down at about 2am, and by this time being thoroughly exhausted ourselves, we were desperate to get to bed, so as soon as we figured she'd have settled into a deep sleep, I crept into her room and left her stocking at the end of the bed. I crept out again, but just a couple of minutes later, she called out 'Mummy, Mummy, he's been'!! Panic! I went back in, and pretended surprise at seeing the stocking, saying 'I can't believe he's already been, as we've only just gone to bed ourselves', so she said, "well, he has got a lot of children to visit Mummy, so perhaps he started with me, and has a lot more to do". Naturally I agreed with her, and explained that as it was so early, it would be best if she went back to sleep, and then when it was time to start opening her stocking, I'd let her know. To my surprise, not only did she go back to sleep without opening a single present, but next morning, told us that she'd actually seen Father Christmas deliver her stocking, and he was wearing a lovely soft red suit with lots of fur, and he had glasses, a big white beard and very red cheeks!! She told her friends that story for quite some time before we finally enlightened her, and even then she didn't believe that it was me she'd seen! Isn't it amazing what the imagination can do?

Alishka Tue 24-Dec-19 13:43:14

I've loved reading all these tales of innocent youth.......how exciting Christmas Eve was!smile
For us , early 70s, in Italy, Father Christmas wasn't really a thing - presents were brought by La Befana, a witch-like lady who followed the 3 Kings on their journey to Bethleham, arriving at Epiphany (6th Jan).(as an aside, Schools re-started on the 7th - bit brutal, that?)
Anyway, ds then started an English kindergarten = enter Father Christmas!shock
But it all turned out well.wink
Seems that ds was last on Santa's list, so, without a stocking to leave, Santa took off one of his wellies,filled it with gifts, and left it outside our appt.door. Neat trick!grin
Amazing how many little gifts you can stuff inside a spray painted size6 welliegringringrin
Boxing Night, we had to return the wellie to Santa, left it outside our appt door of the penthouse flat, with ds bellowing down the stairwell "THANK YOU FATHER CHRISTMAS!"
That Wellie Boot is a treasured addition to our Christmas tree decorations,invokes so many memoriestchsmile
Thanks for letting me share.