Gransnet forums

Christmas

Cooking - I’ve forgotten how!

(62 Posts)
EllieB52 Mon 16-Dec-19 09:58:50

Has anyone else found that as they get older they are losing cooking skills? I’m starting to get flustered over cooking meals, planning, shopping etc. The other day I was cooking for 7 (visitors). I dropped the fish on the floor, overcooked stuff and all sorts of issues. I used to take this all in my stride. Dreading doing the Christmas dinner. I really need to plan, plan, plan.

Tedd1 Thu 19-Dec-19 22:34:59

Oh it's so good to hear this. I thought it was only me!

Cabbie21 Thu 19-Dec-19 23:09:34

I am good at doing Sunday roast, so that is my standard meal if we have to feed family. We never entertain otherwise. Just us two to cook for this year, as DH won’t eat anywhere other than home, so we will go to DD after lunch.
Ido cook from scratch every day but it is just very basic things. I get a bit bored of our menu and often fancy something different but have no inclination or skills to make it. Glad I am not alone.

mrsmopp Thu 19-Dec-19 23:23:45

I don’t like ready meals or take aways and I cook from scratch using fresh ingredients. Usually it’s just the two of us, and I’m getting a bit repititious but we don’t mind that. Stuck in a bit of a rut though. Must try harder....

whywhywhy Fri 20-Dec-19 00:01:11

I'm just the same. I have a writing pad in the kitchen and write the times for each thing on it for a large meal. That way it all comes together.

M0nica Fri 20-Dec-19 00:03:06

I have always needed lists for everything. I have a Xmas spread sheet that is over 20 years old. Before computers, I walked round with lists everywhere. I am in awe of all those people who managed without them for so long. No wonder you are exhausted.

annep1 Fri 20-Dec-19 05:41:52

Its very comforting to read these posts. Good to know it's not just me.

Harri1 Fri 20-Dec-19 16:51:26

So happy to see this... my friend and I (both late sixties) were commenting on how much less confident we are in cooking for guests. I truly think it’s an age thing....even driving now I am far less confident than I used to be when driving in unfamiliar places. I do regular cook Sunday roasts for the family but not happy cooking say for a dinner party. I could do it but I now I would be so stressed that it wouldn’t be worth it.

Smurf52 Mon 23-Dec-19 23:52:45

Greyduster - yep I've done the tuna pasta bake without the tuna! Didn't realise until the family complained how bland the pasta was confused

Fennel Tue 24-Dec-19 12:32:00

From annepl -
"Me too. Lack of energy and get confused more easily. "
Just like me. I still enjoy cooking and baking but try to choose a day when I'm feeling relatively energetic and make big batches of things and put in the freezer.
Another part of having friends and family for meals is running round clearing plates dishes etc after one course and serving the next. Visitors do help (usually). Then I miss out on all the chat going on at the table.

aggie Tue 24-Dec-19 12:41:15

I have just made too much stuffing I went on automatic pilot ! I now have the dish full for my Daughter and two foil dishes for the freezer , it is in the oven and smells wonderful ?

Ps going to sons for the dinner and won’t taste it till Boxing Day ?

Fishpieplease Tue 24-Dec-19 12:45:18

I’ve surprised myself this morning. I said I’d make a fruit jelly for the little ones tomorrow. Not only can I not remember the last time I made one,I couldn’t remember the easiest way to prepare it!