Gransnet forums

Christmas

Prosecco, overated cheap wine

(103 Posts)
CoolioC Mon 16-Dec-19 18:56:14

Cheap overrated fizzy Italian wine or not?

Caro6699 Wed 18-Dec-19 13:31:05

I have Champagne tastes but prosecco budget??In the absence of champers I will gladly have a glass of Prosecco.

Merry Christmas everyone

Grannyhall29 Wed 18-Dec-19 13:23:56

Don't mind it but there is good and bad in everything, don't even agree that you get what you pay for, my son used to work in the horse racing industry and has brought us expensive champagne and so called top quality wine, we didn't like either

Lilyflower Wed 18-Dec-19 13:08:02

Apparently the Italians keep the nicer stuff and send us the fizzy plonk.

We always open a bottle of fizz on Friday and I quite like either Prosecco or Tesco's ordinary Cava. However, the Prosecco is getting more and more ludicrously expensive, even more highly priced than cheap Champagne in some cases. This being the case the Cava is better value as 'hand to hand combat' fizz as the OH puts it.

On Saturday we have Champagne which is much better.

00mam00 Wed 18-Dec-19 12:48:45

It’s Clement de Bourgogne every time for me, but we buy from the producers when travelling through France. It has more body and taste than Prosecco. I also stock up on Chardonnay while there.

The latest trend in still white wine is Sauvignon blanc. I don’t like it.

annsixty Wed 18-Dec-19 12:47:22

Blue Nun or Black Tower anyone?
Actually I may be the only one old enough to remember those.

Gilly1952 Wed 18-Dec-19 12:35:18

Curlywhirly - I think you and I could have a fun time drinking all those 1970s favourites! Remember the advert with Joan Collins and Leonard Rossiter? Wasn’t that for Cinzano? What about the “any time, any place” advert? Martini??? Happy days!

Gilly1952 Wed 18-Dec-19 12:28:14

Me again! Yes, a couple of gin and tonics always go down well and I’d prefer that to Prosecco - but it is all a matter of personal choice and there’s no need for people to judge others by their preferences. Does anyone remember drinking a “snowball”? Now there’s a blast from the past. Oh, and of course “Babycham” (but don’t think I ever tried it!!) Vodka and lime was my favourite tipple when I was just about old enough to legally drink, until I realised the lime upset my stomach, then I changed to vodka and tonic. I didn’t have my first G & T until I was in my forties - I always thought it sounded a bit of a “cliche” - but now I love it. Just plain ordinary gin, none of these fashionable flavoured ones for me!

CleoPanda Wed 18-Dec-19 12:14:29

@ Esspee
“They tend to be mindless airheads whilst the ones who go for the port are my kind of people.”
Thanks for the insult. Pretty glad that I’m not your sort of people as they must also be rude smart alecs.
I love Prosecco. I don’t drink much of anything but always accept a glass of Prosecco as it is usually light and refreshing.
Personally, I don’t automatically judge people by their taste in drinks. I usually judge on other, more meaningful characteristics.

Youcantchoosethem Wed 18-Dec-19 11:41:58

I enjoy a glass or two occasionally. Prefer a nice fruity gin and tonic - raspberry gin and elderflower tonic or the rhubarb and ginger. The bishop also got me on Raspberry gin and Prosecco - that works well!

Also remember my parents always having Asti Spumante at Christmas and special occasions!

HannahLoisLuke Wed 18-Dec-19 11:41:24

I don't drink so I've never tried it but even when I used to have the odd glass I could never stomach anything fizzy.
I'm afraid Prosecco just brings to mind gangs of tipsy women on "girls night out"
Sorry to be po faced.

4allweknow Wed 18-Dec-19 11:31:37

Do prefer champagne but price prohibits it usually. Will not refuse a glass of Prosecco.

anna7 Wed 18-Dec-19 11:21:23

Well I'm common too Noname because I love a glass (or three) of prosecco grin

Noname Wed 18-Dec-19 11:06:26

Now I’m going to sound terribly common and say I really like it! Fortunately so do my friends! ??‍♀️?

Nanny41 Wed 18-Dec-19 11:03:49

To be honest I think both are overrated of course I never refuse if offered

Lancslass1 Wed 18-Dec-19 10:49:20

The wider family decided two Christmases ago that we would spend about £20 per person .
From some relatives we were given a bottle of Prosecco between us.
Since I don’t like it we gave it away.

BusterTank Wed 18-Dec-19 10:45:13

I don't drink but I will be serving prosecco at the Christmas table .

CarlyD7 Wed 18-Dec-19 10:43:59

We nearly always get a good Vintage Cava - lovely depths of flavour. Supermarket champagne is almost tasteless and most Prosecco I've ever tasted the same. I think Prosecco has benefitted from a marvellous PR campaign.

Nvella Wed 18-Dec-19 10:31:50

No - don’t like it at all

Gilly1952 Wed 18-Dec-19 10:28:26

Give me a glass of red wine any day! I will drink Prosecco if offered, but am not that keen and I think Champagne is very over-rated - don’t know what all the fuss is about! In the summer, I drink gallons of Rose, my favourite being good old Mateus with it’s slight “fizz”. Why did they change from the lovely traditional green bottle? Happy memories of the seventies and Berni Inns! This Christmas I will be mostly drinking red!! Happy Christmas to you all x

Davida1968 Wed 18-Dec-19 10:23:00

As GNs here say, there's good, bad, and indifferent Prosecco.
I for one, am happy to drink any decent "fizz". Sadly I don't have it often enough to become a real "fizz snob", but I can tell if I've been given a crap poor wine. Which isn't often.

ReadyMeals Wed 18-Dec-19 10:20:32

It's just one more fashion fad isn't it. I expect some marketing board somewhere had a successful campaign

jaylucy Wed 18-Dec-19 10:17:40

Can't stand the stuff! One of my brother's insists on buying some every time we have a family celebration (as well as making a speech, but we thankfully have stopped him doing that!)
I will just take a couple of sips and it then gets tipped into the nearest pot plant/ garden bed, that always seems to be handy!
Yes we have tried asking him not to bother bringing any but doesn't seem to have taken any notice!

kitnsimon Wed 18-Dec-19 10:05:29

There is a very good German equivalent, Sekt. It is not easy to find in the UK but worth a try if you get the opportunity !

Nannarose Wed 18-Dec-19 09:46:36

Esspee, we have a great independent wine merchants locally, who seek out wines that are good value, and have twice yearly tastings to encourage us to order.
They are knowledgeable and the tastings great fun. I don't think you could have been there this year because the person showing the Prosecco was enthusiastic about it and the vineyard it came from (and it was good, I've got 6 bottles for Xmas)
I wouldn't go to those tastings or hand over my hard earned money if I thought anyone was silently being rude about me, whilst I'm tasting and buying.

Teetime Wed 18-Dec-19 09:28:02

I agree with absent that's what we were told on a wine tasting in Italy. We prefer a good Cava. However last night there was a testing section of a consumer programme where M & S Cremant de Bourgogne (£10) came out top of the taste test- used to drink this years agho so we will be trying that this year although Christmas day opening presents has to be a good Champagne.