Gransnet forums

Christmas

Prosecco, overated cheap wine

(103 Posts)
CoolioC Mon 16-Dec-19 18:56:14

Cheap overrated fizzy Italian wine or not?

CoolioC Fri 20-Dec-19 14:14:37

Good Housekeeping tried and tested

1. Morrison’s 89/100 £10 The best Prosecco DOCG
2. Harvey Nics 83/100 Valdobbladene Prosecco superiors £16

Champagne under £45
1. Champagne bollinger special cuvee NV 83/100 £45
2. Herbert Beaufort grand cru 79/100 £35 Marks and Spencer

AllotmentLil Thu 19-Dec-19 22:15:05

Oh delicious SirChenjin!
Everything that Callistemon said!

cornergran Thu 19-Dec-19 21:51:15

I enjoy a good, dry Prosecco. Plan one or two with Christmas lunch. Good job we aren’t all the same tchsmile.

Vivian123 Thu 19-Dec-19 21:28:04

Had a lovely lunch, today and this was proceeded by 7 bottles of Prosecco between 20. Made a great start to a very boozy lunch. I'm not knocking it. Bring it on, I say.

SirChenjin Thu 19-Dec-19 08:31:07

I rarely drink but when I do a glass or two with a dash of rhubarb and ginger gin liqueur from Edinburgh Gin goes down a treat. Loud and proud!

Callistemon Wed 18-Dec-19 23:10:56

Is that peach schnapps Sleepygran?
Have you been having a taster?
tchwink

Sleepygran Wed 18-Dec-19 23:06:26

Lovely with a pea ha naps in it!

mate Wed 18-Dec-19 21:03:36

In Veneto, where it comes from, people were used to drink Prosecco. The rest of Italy then discovered it as well. Finally it became worldwide known. Due to the insufficent production, to meet the increased demand, the Valdobbiadene area of origin has been enlarged to other areas nearby. This new Prosecco is cheap enough to be sold
abroad, usually at doubled price. Italians don't keep good Prosecco for to themselves. Traders ask for cheap wine. If you buy directly online from wineries, you can save a lot of money. The problem is the high cost of expedition.

Vivian123 Wed 18-Dec-19 20:44:45

I can recommend Prosecco from LIDL. Very good price and like most of LIDL's stuff, it tastes excellent. Already stocked up with a load for Christmas, but the way it is going, I may have to buy more. My drink of choice is a nice Scotch and LIDL's Queen Margot is smooth and drinkable at a very reasonable price. Trouble is, I drink far too much of it.
Some people like tea and some like coffee, as far as I am concerned, if you like something, enjoy it, if you don't, then leave it alone, but don't denigrate others for their legitimate tastes. If we were all the same, life would be exceptionally boring. Prosecco for those that like it. Port for those that like that, although I have never found Port very thirst quenching, but I do like it. Goes well with Brandy and cheese.

Mapleleaf Wed 18-Dec-19 20:29:23

That’s it in a nutshell really, Callistemon - we all have different tastes, and something that one person thinks tastes divine, another will think it tastes terrible. So, although cost can play a part in the quality of the wine (but not entirely), personal taste plays an important part, too. ?

Callistemon Wed 18-Dec-19 18:58:01

glammagran I bought two bottles of Nyetimber for a special occasion but found it rather too yeasty for my taste although I do like some other English sparkling wines.

Callistemon Wed 18-Dec-19 18:52:32

whilst the ones who go for the port are my kind of people.
we know what to avoid now then.

Callistemon Wed 18-Dec-19 18:50:19

guaranteed to make women giggly and loud fast,
That's the spirit!

Giggly is better than grouchy and rude.

Callistemon Wed 18-Dec-19 18:48:34

They tend to be mindless airheads whilst the ones who go for the port are my kind of people.
Esspee really! how rude.

I can now add mindless airhead to the list of names I have been called by GN members.
annsixty tchgrin
There's good and mediocre prosecco, there's good and mediocre all kinds of drinks, even champagne.

Each to their own

Out of interest, has anyone heard of Marquis de la Tour Brut? We won a bottle in a raffle recently but I can't find any for sale on the internet (out of stock) so it could be quite old and terrible - or it could be a classic worth thousands!

Eva2 Wed 18-Dec-19 18:38:55

Champagne is my fave. But my cheaper version is Spanish Cava, beats Proseco hands down.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 18-Dec-19 17:51:36

MadMaggie cheers ?

Naty Wed 18-Dec-19 17:44:51

I live in the prosecco region. You need to get DOCG (protected and authentic).

Madmaggie Wed 18-Dec-19 17:05:40

I'm with you GrannyGravy13 - cheers!

NotSpaghetti Wed 18-Dec-19 16:46:15

I have had good and bad prosecco and champagne.
They are very different. Why compare them?
The only thing they have in common as wines is that they will be in the "sparkling" collection!

Nannan2 Wed 18-Dec-19 16:09:12

Champagne is also overated- its too dry for metchsmile

Peardrop50 Wed 18-Dec-19 15:53:49

Peace and goodwill as I raise a glass to all fellow airheads, complete with bubbles, hiccoughs and giggles and to all the super intelligent boffins who prefer something else the same wish for peace and goodwill. Merry Christmas.

Nannarose Wed 18-Dec-19 15:47:18

Well, you can be sure that something dismissed in insulting terms, will turn up a few years later as the next 'find'. How many sherry revivals have we lived through?

Saggi Wed 18-Dec-19 14:04:01

Awful stuff.... my daughter offered me s bottle 6 weeks ago, that she had been given, I refused as I didn’t like the stuff...noticed yesterday it’s still sitting in her fridge. Can’t give it away to anybody obviously

annodomini Wed 18-Dec-19 13:40:23

annsixty, you are not alone. Blue Nun and Black Tower are now slightly embarrassing memories. I was aghast when my cheapskate ex brother-in-law (a Kiwi) brought in a bottle of Blue Nun one Christmas when they were staying with us. I had thought at the time that it had ceased to exist! Another brand I remember was Hirondelle, in litre bottles. Plonk indeed, but we didn't know any better in the '70s.

kwest Wed 18-Dec-19 13:32:40

Nasty stuff.