Gransnet forums

Christmas

Tipping

(11 Posts)
craftyone Fri 20-Dec-19 10:48:13

I don`t tip anyone except my hardresser and she just gets a small tip. I started to get a daily paper just over 3 weeks ago and I appreciate this young lad cycling in the dark to get to my out of the way house, I put a fiver in a card for him, it will be more next year

Today there was a card from `my sunday paperboy`, I never knew there were two but he has delivered 3 papers to date. I appreciate the card but will not be leaving him a tip, will of course leave him a tip next year but 1/6 of what I leave the main boy

Would you leave a £1 this year or ignore it?

MissAdventure Fri 20-Dec-19 12:15:49

I'd give him a £1.
Anyone getting up early to do a weekend job deserves a bit of recognition, I think.

PamelaJ1 Fri 20-Dec-19 12:36:19

I try and err on the generous side.
If he is prepared to get up early and go out in all weathers he needs to be encouraged.

BlueBelle Fri 20-Dec-19 12:44:19

Don’t have any deliveries no newspapers no milk etc etc

I don’t tip as it’s such an unfair and outdated process

However if youre a tipper and tipping one lad you need to tip the other one accordingly
We ve had so many threads about this

Maggiemaybe Fri 20-Dec-19 12:53:10

grin We had a card from our "weekday paper delivery person", and bunged a fiver in a card for her. Then another arrived from our "Saturday paper person", so repeated the exercise. Looks like there might be a "Sunday paper person" waiting in the wings! We get 4 items delivered a week.

I think a pound coin in a card is fair enough for just 3 papers. smile

craftyone Fri 20-Dec-19 19:44:04

oh thanks that does settle my mind. I will put that £ in an envelope for the sunday boy, better than nothing and yes I do appreciate them getting out of bed to deliver my papers. I remember, many years ago when dd was a papergirl, how delighted she was when she had tips

I don`t tip anyone else except the hairdresser and not a lot but its good to encourage teenagers to work

BradfordLass72 Sat 21-Dec-19 07:21:45

We don't tip in New Zealand but that doesn't stop people offering gifts to service workers whom we appreciate...but rarely money, that would be seen as a bit off.

We don't have a regular Postie now but when we did, I always left or gave a small gift.

Same with the hard-working rubbish and recycling collectors for whom I left a batch of shortbread biscuits decorated like little Christmas trees. Plus a note of appreciation for their hard (not to mention smelly) work.

NfkDumpling Sat 21-Dec-19 07:44:52

We’ve stopped having delivered papers now but the last few years I’ve put a tenner in an envelope and given it to the newsagent who has a collection pot for the paperboys/girls. She then shares it out according to how long they’ve worked. That way people who can’t give much don’t have to feel pressured and the crafty little persons who start a round three weeks before Christmas, leave a card and then give up the round in January get caught out.

I don’t tip anyone else now as our regular postman is no longer regular, never see the bin men who move at the speed of light and no one seems to expect it nowadays, they looked embarrassed last time I did giving me the feeling I’d got it wrong.

Daisymae Sat 21-Dec-19 07:53:28

I leave something out for the bin men. I would leave him a pound this year. It's the thought that counts.

craftyone Sat 21-Dec-19 07:56:54

What a good idea Nik, I cannot see it happening here, the newsagent runs a small very full and busy shop, open from 6 to 10 and I think he barely gets any sleep as it is. I only give my hairdresser £2 but she is far cheaper than where I last lived, in all I pay half the cost of previous

My paper is my treat to myself, I look forward to it every day. It started with me wanting to support the little shop

PamelaJ1 Sat 21-Dec-19 08:33:40

As someone who receives tips, in my case usually a bottle of wine, I would like to say.....
It IS appreciated BUT it makes no difference to the treatment I provide.
It’s much more important to me that you are a pleasant person to deal with all year round. I’m lucky, my clients are lovely.