Gransnet forums

Christmas

why do we do it at christmas time?????

(28 Posts)
travelsafar Sun 22-Dec-19 16:46:20

Over eat!!!! Just got home from a christmas bash with family and we have all over indulged with too much food. No alcohol was drunk as all are driving and it was mostly to meet up and exchange gifts and catch up. Now all i want to do is curl up with a cuppa and fall asleep in front of the tv!!! smile

PamelaJ1 Tue 24-Dec-19 19:29:20

I’ve got nothing in the fridge, apart from a trifle, my contribution to the festivities tomorrow. We are going to DD’s
I’ve been feeling lousy so couldn’t be bothered with food. We’ve got some salmon and eggs, that will do.
I’m sure someone will have bought me some chocolates, they will do for pudding on Boxing Day.
I can’t believe we’ve spent so little.
However we have 20 coming on Sunday so all the naughty bits and pieces will make an appearance.
I find it difficult to overeat at meal times but I can graze all day.
Luckily the opportunity doesn’t come round too often.

M0nica Tue 24-Dec-19 23:02:50

I prefer not to shop between Christmas and New Year, all the family are with us, and beyond the odd extra litre of milk, who on earth wants to get in the car and waste time driving 5 miles to the nearest supermarket to shop for food, or even waste time ordering it online, when we can be enjoying each others company. We have better things to do with our time.

We do not have boxes of biscuits or sweets. My AC's buy in snacks for the scrabble contest, but, generally,the sweet and snack quotient of our Christmas celebrations is really quite low. My luxury is the best ham and turkey I can get and plenty of it.

None of it will be wasted. Food will get portioned and frozen, made in to soup and pies, which will also be frozen and the turkey and ham may not finally be completely consumed until Easter - and of course all those meals when we are eating it up we are not buying other food.