Gransnet forums

Christmas

Is it really Christmas?

(35 Posts)
aprilrose Mon 23-Dec-19 07:24:36

Now, I generally love Christmas or at least the run up to it. We dont do big Christmas day in my home as we are a small ang getting smaller familiy.

However, I have always looked forward to being wished a Merry Christmas in the shops etc. Reflecting on it as I have just completed my last shopping items I realise that not one person has wished me Merry Christmas this year . No one in shops, not at work, not in the street when meeting people, nothing anywhere. Nor have I heard anyone else wished Merry Christmas or told to have a good one etc.

Has this country got so far away from its roots that we cant even say Merry Christmas anymore?

Newquay Tue 24-Dec-19 06:11:56

I’ve been saying Happy Christmas to everyone recently and everyone has said the same in reply.

Resurgam123 Tue 24-Dec-19 06:28:29

It is awful. I find it really difficult. No joy just a miserable y
old man to contend with. But when my little grandsons come in a few days it should be better.
I think my daughter is working over Christmas. That's nurses for you.

Summerlove Tue 24-Dec-19 06:31:30

April, maybe shop assistants and passerby’s are not outgoing people either?

Grammaretto Tue 24-Dec-19 06:49:20

Not been very Christmassy here. The village tree is pathetic this year. It's a bush srrounded by a fence!

We used to have carol singing in the square on Christmas eve but that's stopped. Now it's a formal event in the church last Sunday.

There will be a community meal tomorrow for anyone on their own.

Callistemon Tue 24-Dec-19 10:26:04

Just the other day I thought how cheerful and happy everyone seemed when out and about (despite the rain), greeting one another, passing the time of day and wishing each other Merry Christmas.

And although I was careful to send our Muslim and Hindu friends seasonal greetings cards, I notice they have sent us cards saying Merry Christmas.

Callistemon Tue 24-Dec-19 10:37:42

I wonder if carols outside were transferred to the church because of the weather? I can't see ours taking place outside tonight because it's lashing down with rain, the wind is blowing and we could sink into the mud on the green.

Maggiemaybe Tue 24-Dec-19 17:01:29

I must admit I was a bit disappointed in our church's carol service on Sunday night. We have a beautiful atmospheric old church and yet they held the service in the community room this year. They'd obviously got more attendees than they expected (not sure why, it's usually popular) and ran out of chairs. Half of us were tucked around corners, not able to see the musicians. The singing was good though, and we had mulled wine and mince pies, so I'll stop mithering!

Callistemon Tue 24-Dec-19 18:06:46

Mither away, that was just not the same.

grannyactivist Tue 24-Dec-19 18:25:05

fiorentina51 that’s especially good to hear. People at the DWP are mainly contacted by people who are in difficult situations and their own jobs must be very stressful too, so it’s heartening to hear of a cheery response.

I haven’t been out much, but just come from a lovely nativity service in the local church and people were all enthusiastic ’greeters’.