Gransnet forums

Christmas

Things that should be punishable at Christmas! (light hearted)

(67 Posts)
phoenix Fri 27-Dec-19 17:30:36

Hello all, and sending good wishes, especially to those in need.

People who eat a sweet/chocolate from a box, and put the empty wrapper back in the tub/box, should be made to wash up, at least twice, to make up for the disappointment experienced by those who thought they had found their favourite, only to be sadly let down.

Anyone who brings through a dish, bowl or any other thing of that ilk after the washing up has been done, should be made to lick it clean in full view of all the other guests, before washing it properly, drying it up (along with anything else) and putting it away.......properly.

People who think it is "fun" to use party poppers, must crawl on their hands and knees until they have gathered up every single bit of the garish paper that does not go at all with the colour scheme. (And makes even the tidiest room look like a bomb's hit it)

Anyone who hasn't learnt how to replace a toilet roll should be made to wipe their bottom with sandpaper (NB, this should apply all year round)

Announcing on Christmas Day that you are now dairy/gluten intolerant, vegetarian/vegan, allergic to cats/dogs/hamsters and expecting the host/hostess to accommodate you.

Anyone have things to add?

willa45 Mon 30-Dec-19 15:10:59

People who cut into the buffet line with a full plate saying "Hope you don't mind......I just need to get to the roast beef,..."

The friend who never allows you to finish a complete thought before they interrupt .......constantly!

Attaching charm tags to your wine glasses so guests can identify and someone who empties your wine glass anyway, insisting that ".... 'Green Christmas Tree' tag looked just like the 'Red Santa Claus" !!

Inebriated people who 'lose' their wine glasses.

Wine glass with"Red Santa" tag turning up in the loo next day.

Hope you all had a wonderful holiday season and may the New Year ring in many blessings!

Blinko Mon 30-Dec-19 14:18:52

PS sorry, is there a 'smug' icon?

Blinko Mon 30-Dec-19 14:18:08

We spent rather a lot of money going abroad this Christmas. It was the first time we'd done it and I did wonder whether it would be worth it. But for all the reasons on this thread, (as well as it being a lovely break), it SO was!

Rufus2 Mon 30-Dec-19 05:31:55

People who eat a sweet/chocolate from a box, and put the empty wrapper back in the box
Benny Hill also didn't think much of people who put choccies with hard centres back in the box with the teeth marks still showing! hmm

BradfordLass72 Mon 30-Dec-19 04:17:47

Happygirl79
I have a couple of friends like that but I can get rid of them by saying, with a big smile, 'Sorry, I'm going to have to throw you out, I'm expecting my family over tomorrow and I've heaps to do.'

If they offer to help, I give them a spray and cloth and ask them to clean the bathroom and toilet.

There are many excuses you can use, it just takes a little imagination and a smidgen of firmness.

It's actually harder to get rid of someone on the phone but I've cracked that as well. Cut yourself off when you are speaking. Then take the phone off the hook.

No one ever believes it's deliberate. Yes, sneaky but I have friends who can talk for 4+ hours if I let them, by which time I am under the table and totally demented.

icanhandthemback Sun 29-Dec-19 13:41:23

Parents who allow their children to load their plates up (after touching every morsel of food on the buffet table) when they know they won't eat it all. It drives me insane especially when the plates are then left on the floor to be kicked over and trodden in to the carpet. I love my family dearly but could murder them cheerfully on such occasions.
Daughter-in-laws who manage to get up and choose their food from the table so they can stuff their faces with as much food as they can cram in but then can't take their plates out to the kitchen so they make a big fuss when their husband doesn't feel inclined to run round after them. Get off your fat @r5e, love. I can vent on here but tend to smile sweetly at the time!

Beckett Sun 29-Dec-19 11:04:12

Happygirl79 That one gets me too! A few years ago I was undergoing chemotherapy (anyone who has knows it can knock you for six), a "friend" showed up to visit and DH, a very hospitable man, made the mistake of opening a bottle of wine which turned into several. After a few hours I said I was tired and was going to lie down. Anyone else would have taken the hint and left - not her. She stayed on and eventually had to spend the night because she was unfit to drive!

Happygirl79 Sun 29-Dec-19 10:57:59

People who overstay their welcome every single time
They say they will pop in for a quick coffee at 10 am and are still there at tea time!

Shropshirelass Sun 29-Dec-19 08:49:01

Ninarosa. Yes my husband does that, he always says 'what's nice for tea?'. It drives me potty (along with a lot of other things he does!). I usually say that I haven't decided and depends what I fancy cooking when I open the fridge. Sometimes I tell him one thing but bring him something different!

Mauriherb Sun 29-Dec-19 08:37:46

Nothing more to add, I agree with everything That's been said. What a great thread though, I don't feel quite so annoyed now that I know it's not just me grin

BradfordLass72 Sun 29-Dec-19 07:16:00

I should like to meet the person who decided to stick the descriptions of every biscuit in the metal tin, on the bottom of the tin itself, rather than in the lid as it opens.

I'd stuff him with biscuits, possibly not from the top.

sluttygran Sun 29-Dec-19 05:15:22

I would like to put an embargo on folks who talk about their surgical operations all through Christmas Dinner. Or their confinements, dental extractions and what they said to the rude doctor who told them to lose weight and exercise.

Sparkling Sat 28-Dec-19 23:06:25

I have put a note in my diary not to buy every item that a person might want to eat, or drink, the house is full to bursting, I have aleeady given lots away, tomorrow it's the savoury , nachos, chilli dips and fancy biscuits which are going to the foods bank, I don't eat them and no one else did , will hang on to coke, lemonade and fruit juice until nearly at it's best before date. I am conditioned after all these years of buying every food item in site at vvChristmas as if we were going into a famine.

Lizbethann55 Sat 28-Dec-19 22:52:56

Have loved reading all these and going "that's me! That's me!". We did Christmas this year for all thr family on Boxing Day. As always great fun but enormously hard work, virtually entirely by me. DH worked from home on 27th so spent a few hours in front of his computer and spent the rest of the day and evening telling me how hard he had worked, even though I had been pottering and tidying all day. I almost told him that come the revolution he will be first up against the wall and have all the cold left over sprouts fired at him, before being doused in cold gravy!

Noname Sat 28-Dec-19 20:49:22

Those people who come for a meal, appear to enjoy it but then leave without thanks and don’t follow up either with a card, phone call, email or text message! Rude!

HillyN Sat 28-Dec-19 17:18:00

I could have cheerfully shot the postman who delivered 2 credit card bills the day after Boxing Day. tchshock

DanniRae Sat 28-Dec-19 16:11:20

Why, when I am urged to buy very expensive crackers "Because the presents inside are so much better," do I find all the presents left on the table when everyone has gone?

Nanny41 Sat 28-Dec-19 15:57:13

Husband loves to monopolise the conversation and only ever wants to talk about himslef, guess how many times I have heard this!
Christmas Day my Grandson brought his girlfriend,she was so considerate being a vegetarian she brought what she wanted and could eat.
Boxing day a couple came,the wife a vegetarian, not so considerate, she didnt bring anything but said she could just eat the accompmients! fortunately we had some vegetarian food left from Christmas Day. People who need special diets should think of the host family,and at least try to have something with them,otherwise shot at dawn.

Sparklefizz Sat 28-Dec-19 15:48:13

Those who say, oh I’m much too full, after you have made three different desserts, then twenty minutes later clean you out of the quality street!

Love it! That's my family!

grandtanteJE65 Sat 28-Dec-19 15:09:34

DIL who arrives as late as possible before Christmas and announces next day that she hasn't slept well, feels poorly and is going home!

As far as we could see all that was wrong with her was a pain in the temper and a disagreement with DS.

However, we wished her a speedy recovery and said, "of course dear, if you aren't well, you would much rather be at home."

The last thing I would have wanted to do, if I was feeling unwell was to travel by bus from one end of the country to the other, but there's nowt so queer as folk, is there?

Happysexagenarian Sat 28-Dec-19 14:51:44

Parents who tell me their children will eat anything when I ask about any dislikes. Then their children flatly refuse to eat anything offered to them and ask for something I don't have! I'm not used to fussy eaters, it's eat what's offered in our house or go without. Said children then complain that they're hungry for the rest of the day and I'm expected to jump up and make something they like. Thankfully these kids are not my GC - they wouldn't dare!

EthelJ Sat 28-Dec-19 14:47:49

People who say 'you shouldn't have wasted your money buying me a present' Why can't people just accept gifts graciously?

Bekind Sat 28-Dec-19 14:24:47

Grown children who show up to eat on Christmas, watch their children open tons of presents from me, then leave without even a thank you.

Nannyme Sat 28-Dec-19 13:41:11

I would gladly put my ex in this category, not only Christmas but all year if I am spending time with my DD’s he somehow mysteriously turns up. Christmas this year, prime example, and he left his now wife at home, saying it’s not a problem as we have a strong relationship.

phoenix Sat 28-Dec-19 12:54:51

Aepgirl ??? Please explain your post of 11.06 (I'm glad you're not coming, but would be interested to know why you are glad! tchgrin)