Gransnet forums

Christmas

Hubby came up trumps

(23 Posts)
Jillybird Tue 31-Dec-19 23:29:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

4allweknow Tue 31-Dec-19 16:02:03

Surprised it was just your leg that gave way with what you had done and with what was to come. Do hope you are on the mend.

Harris27 Tue 31-Dec-19 15:49:05

I’ve learned now not to stress about Christmas and divide tasks evenly and try to get out of entertaining too much?!

sodapop Tue 31-Dec-19 15:43:03

To even things up a little, my husband did all the shopping, cooking etc for Christmas. He produced a wonderful lunch despite an element suddenly not working in the oven.
Men do get a bad press on here at times.

jeanie99 Tue 31-Dec-19 15:40:42

Loved all the comments had to laugh, this is a great community and thank you for your advice. I know I probably do too much but what can you do when they all live miles away.
This will be the last Christmas son and family travel from abroad as they are purchasing a property near us.
Our son said he would cook next Christmas, hubby and I laughed because the only thing he can cook is Spaghetti Bolognese.

I'm still resting, hospital rang today to say I have an MRI appointment for this Sunday so fingers crossed.
The NHS have been wonderful, don't think I would have had better treatment if I had gone private.
I wish everyone a Great New Years Eve and hope 2020 is everything you want.

hulahoop Tue 31-Dec-19 15:10:31

I used to work some of Christmas and oh always made Christmas dinner for us I have only made about 5 in 40yrs of marriage have found they can step up when they want sounds like you took a lot on jean I'd hope you are on the mend .

Merryweather Tue 31-Dec-19 14:53:42

I developed pleurisy about a week before Christmas then a chest infection on mixing day. Other half has insisted I stay in bed. Almost a week later I can report he's provided three meals a day for himself and the girls, even cooking the odd evening meal from scratch! Laundry has been done and I've heard the hover at least twice.
I must admit I'm dreading going into the kitchen though. I'm quite fussy and very clean and tidy, just wondering what crumbs and tile splatters await. Of course, I'm extremely grateful for all he's done and continues to do for our growing family.

Greciangirl Tue 31-Dec-19 14:08:52

I’m totally puzzled as to why some people take on such a lot of needless work and stress.
I’ve learnt to take things a bit slower and easier, the older I’ve become,

Maybe do the same next year, Jeannie99.

Kim19 Tue 31-Dec-19 13:35:05

Bravo PBW. Beautifully articulated and well thought out. I endorse your sentiments entirely and sure wish I had your gift with words. Thank you for this contribution.

Paperbackwriter Tue 31-Dec-19 12:02:21

I do hope you recover well and I wish you a happy new year. BUT - I do find it depressing that at the eve of 2020 domestic input by a man is still being hailed as a near-miracle and is still considered something to be congratulated. Has domestic equality really passed so many people by? Where was your husband's input when you were filling those freezers and doing so much strenuous prep for this visit?

vickya Tue 31-Dec-19 11:20:33

You worked so hard and had everything ready to go, which was probably why your leg went on stroke. The week of the actual visits would have been easy in comparison as you'd already done the hard stuff! So husband did well to take over and also got the kudos, but did kind of slip by as you did the preparation. Well done, Mr 99, and maybe do more in the preparation next yea and then Mrs 99 can be still ok to do some of the work during the visit.

NotTooOld Tue 31-Dec-19 11:19:10

Sounds definitely like a case of 'rushed off your feet'. We women do too much at Christmas. Hope you are soon on the mend. I've just informed DH that I can no longer push that heavy vacuum cleaner around. He said 'don't do it - just tell me and I'll do it'. Damn, I wanted him to say 'order a cordless one'.

schnackie Tue 31-Dec-19 11:10:42

jeanie99, two Christmases ago, I was getting ready to fly out of Heathrow to visit my family and was staying in a nearby hotel the night before. Suddenly I couldn't walk, my leg was in so much pain! The hotel staff were wonderful, got a wheelie office chair to help me downstairs, I got a taxi to A&E (didn't want the fuss of an ambulance), where they did x-rays, etc and couldn't find anything wrong. Eventually gave me pain killers and valium (as a muscle relaxant). I went to sleep assuming I would have to cancel my trip, but woke up and it was gone as mysteriously as it had come on. I put it down to stress and anxiety about the trip. In the end I went, but did not have a good time, so perhaps should have taken the hint my body was trying to tell me.

lavenderzen Tue 31-Dec-19 10:27:18

You have taught him well Jeannie.
Hope you soon feel better flowers

FarNorth Tue 31-Dec-19 10:22:08

shock Jeannie.
Please don't take that load on yourself again.
Hoping you feel better soon. thanks

Patticake123 Tue 31-Dec-19 10:17:11

Get well soon Jeannie, with a bit of luck as the final guest drives away, your mystery ailment will disappear and your husband will have learned a valuable lesson!?

Juicylucy Tue 31-Dec-19 10:14:49

Just proves these men can step up to the plate ( pardon the pun) when they have to. Hope your better soon.

NfkDumpling Tue 31-Dec-19 08:50:19

My goodness jeanie, where did you fit them all? You must have a castle!

sodapop Tue 31-Dec-19 08:46:14

Yes I hope you recover soon jeannie99 I agree with Daisymae rethink your arrangements for next year and let your family take the strain.

Daisymae Tue 31-Dec-19 08:38:35

Sounds like you have literally been rushed off of your feet. Maybe you need to rethink the workload for another year? Hopefully a few more days rest will help

tiredoldwoman Tue 31-Dec-19 08:11:02

Well done your lovely husband - sometimes getting them to do something to help is harder work than actually hobbling around doing it yourself . And don't they know it !
He's wonderful , he might actually do it again next year !
Lovely post .
Happy New Year x

BradfordLass72 Tue 31-Dec-19 06:20:59

Having done all the preparation for son and family arriving for 3 week stay, daughter and family for 5 nights and nephew for 7 nights I was ready. Two freezers full and fridges, made the list of meals so ready to go

And you wonder why you ended up in A&E?

Take it easy next time and HAPPY NEW YEAR !

jeanie99 Tue 31-Dec-19 01:46:40

Having done all the preparation for son and family arriving for 3 week stay, daughter and family for 5 nights and nephew for 7 nights I was ready.
Two freezers full and fridges, made the list of meals so ready to go THEN
Christmas Eve just got up from the sofa and my leg gave way and I couldn't walk.
Christmas day found myself in A&E, thank goodness nephew was there and hubby went into full swing and did all the cooking for the Christmas meal.
Rest was the statement so have done little but sit around for the passed week.
Still no answer as to what is wrong but hubby is doing all the meals as son and family are still here for another week.
Daughter on leaving with her family commented that dad must have learned something seeing what you do over the years.
Have to say he looks totally exhausted something like I usually look at this time of year.
We love our family and it's wonderful to see the grandchildren but oh the delight of having quiet evenings just the two of use is a joy to behold.
I do hope everyone as enjoyed their special Christmas.