Gransnet forums

Christmas

Handmade gifts

(36 Posts)
CorneliaStreet Thu 08-Oct-20 05:37:17

This year I'll probably have to do handmade Christmas gifts for everyone in the family, so I've started gaining ideas. I can knit pretty well so there will be several scarfs and mittens, also I thought about preparing handmade cards. Baking may be an option, too, I'll make cookies for children, they love everything sweet. What are you planning to do if you have decided to go crafty this year, too?

boodymum67 Wed 14-Oct-20 14:57:02

I`ve made several fabric gift bags, with drawstrings. I`ve decorated bottles with stick on diamante and put false flowers in and crushed glass. They look quite effective.

I`ve decorated wooden boxes with fabric and sequins.

So it`s half bought, half made

goose1964 Fri 16-Oct-20 12:49:29

My choc mint vodka it's down well, basically you blitz chocolate mints with vodka and leave it in a warning place,if you have a dishwasher just pop it in . I've tried after eights and frys peppermint creams . Flavoured vodkas and gins are so easy. If you want a Christmas one try the Hairy Bikers one, I make Tiffin for adults with the booze soaked fruit.

Kseniya Fri 16-Oct-20 13:46:14

if you knit well, you can even knit slippers or a bag for loved ones (which are tight and keep their shape well), there are training videos on YouTube. my friend professionally does this and you can try. can buy yarn and go)

lemongrove Fri 16-Oct-20 14:45:09

Three years ago, a friend included some home made chutney in with her present, a sort of piccalilli really and looked and tasted very good........but oh the wind! DH and I usually laugh quite a bit, but that Christmas we daren’t give so much as a chuckle ( although the resulting parps when we did, made us laugh even more.)??

lemongrove Fri 16-Oct-20 14:46:16

I like the sound of a knitted ipad case or Kindle case, I may be able to manage that.

Daftbag1 Mon 19-Oct-20 08:26:16

Last year I made fudge for people, and bowl cosies for cereals and soup. It's only just dawning on me that christmas is coming so I'm trying to think of things that people will enjoy.

Calendargirl Mon 19-Oct-20 09:20:33

I make sloe gin and sloe vodka, but I’m afraid it is for personal consumption only.

Would hate my gift to offend a non drinker!

??

MawB2 Tue 20-Oct-20 15:51:19

I was so frustrated when I saw this thread during my enforced visit to the Doghouse, and could not wait to post these

Be afraid Sons in law, be very afraid grin
(Now I have mastered Granny Squares, there is no stopping me )

MawB2 Tue 20-Oct-20 16:16:34

Bump!

Namsnanny Thu 22-Oct-20 21:11:33

I actually love those zigzag patterned trousers MawB2!

They remind me of some cushions I made a while ago. More subtle choice of colours though smile

My son has a strange fashion sense perhaps I could make him a pair..... not for this Christmas though!