Gransnet forums

Christmas

sorted and ready for Christmas 2020

(49 Posts)
boodymum67 Tue 20-Oct-20 15:14:00

I thought I`d get the cards and presents sorted, just incase lockdown stops me getting out soon.

I did all the present buying in one go..with the help of my carer.

It can get so difficult in a wheelchair, to navigate overstuffed aisles and crowds in the run up.

I don't like on line shopping as I need to get out in the fresh air. Plus I do get a buzz in buying gifts for friends and family.

I bought it all in TK Max, The Works and Primani.

I got my cards from a charity shop and have just written them all out.

I have 2 grandchildren at uni in the North West, so I am hoping we get to see them at Yuletide. Other close family also lives in the North West.....my present giving may have to wait.

Early festive greetings to all xx

craftyone Mon 26-Oct-20 17:54:54

I have a venison fillet in a vac pack in the freezer, I think I will eat that instead of turkey. I must admit that I am doing my best to avoid calorific treats, I do have some tucked away but I need to lose weight and it goes back on in an instant

I have had an enjoyable hour today, prepping a box for each AC. I will send one and take the other on a quick careful pre-christmas visit. The AC is in glasgow and being vegan is getting a vegan mini hamper via costco.

I did treat myself to a special alessi ornament and have sorted through the decs, thrown a few out, given a few away. My smallish jars of sugar free organic mincemeat came today, I shall make a few near christmas

So that is it really, entertainment and food and gifts are sorted

Greenfinch Fri 23-Oct-20 18:18:15

Bluecat my granddaughter loves Nutella. How do you make the cheesecake ?

M0nica Fri 23-Oct-20 18:12:47

DH bought the Christmas order form back from our fatmshop today. With the turkey ordered, I have now ordered all the pig products we need.

I am hurriedly making mincemeat today, as DD, our bubble member is coming round for the weekend and she makes the mince pies, and as I may not see her again until early December, I am making sure that those are sorted as well.

DH has bought DS's birthday, he has been looking through auction catalogues for about a month now, as DS wanted an antique carving set for the Christmas turkey. After being overbid several times, he was successful earlier this week and he collected them from the auctionner today.

Bluecat Fri 23-Oct-20 18:01:18

Rosiebee sorry I missed your message. Have sent you a PM.

Unigran4 Thu 22-Oct-20 15:42:26

I have decided to cook everyone their favourite food for their Christmas present. Chocolate fudge cake for DG2, Marmite flatbreads for DG1, Apple pie with nutmeg for SiL1, - you get the picture. 10 different items in all (including 2 fiancées).

Whatever Tier we are in by Christmas, I will not be able to be with the 2 families under the rule of 6, but am actually sneakily looking forward to the day on my own - eat what I like, eat when I like, dress how I like (pyjamas sound good), watch what I like on TV.

Just for this Christmas. Hopefully back in to the fray Christmas 2021.

Helen657 Thu 22-Oct-20 15:01:12

How I wish I were so organised!!!! My DH retires 9th Dec & flies back to uk, so he’ll be able to get the secs out of the loft & help me put them up - his first day out of quarantine is Xmas eve, which is a good job as I’ll need him to do the Asda xmas shop!!!
I haven’t thought any further ahead than that!!

grannyactivist Thu 22-Oct-20 01:05:38

I've been locked away for ever (well, for about a year anyway) so I haven't been able to do my usual preparations, but nevertheless I have managed to get some things sorted. Our local toy shop delivered during lockdown and many local craftspeople have been showing their wares online and delivering to nearby addresses, so I have managed to buy quite a few gifts.

Expecting that this year would be different I have made jams, chutneys, liqueurs, cakes (now frozen) wine and cider, which together with some jars of home-made caramel sauce, fudge, marshmallows, sweets and candied nuts will be parcelled up into hampers and distributed to family and friends. I made my Christmas cake last month and am now feeding it with brandy each week.

Our family meet up on Zoom, Facetime and WhatsApp regularly anyway, so if that's how we have to spend Christmas Day I won't mind. My only concern will be if I can't have my parents-in-law over for the day because they are usually in the centre of all the Christmas hullabaloo and they love it; they would put on a brave face, but be miserable alone I think.

weeducky Wed 21-Oct-20 23:00:24

I have made my Chrissie pud and have all the ingredients for the cake which I shall make over the weekend. Some pressies bought but I always spread them throughout the year so it is not money out all at once and this is THE year I am using up all the left over cards from previous years....I have a couple of shoe boxes full!! Saying all that I hate being blasted with Christmas signs etc so early and we never ever put the tree up till Christmas eve. Am I contrary or what?wink

Rosiebee Wed 21-Oct-20 22:41:49

bluecat, DH has just googled Guinness Punch. Is it Guinness mixed with condensed milk and nutmeg? I was keen to have a go but he saw it as a waste of Guinness. He is a G man.hmm

Beauregard Wed 21-Oct-20 19:36:20

I've picked up Christmas Food to order brochures from M & S and Morrisons. I'll have a look through them to try and get some inspiration/motivation.

Then...that's it until late November.

Aepgirl Wed 21-Oct-20 19:14:43

I have bought all my cards on line from a charity, and have told e dry body that there will be no Christmas presents this year. I’m not risking my health or the health of my family by going shopping for, sometimes unwanted, Christmas presents. 2021 will be an excellent Christmas!

Bluecat Wed 21-Oct-20 19:05:00

This is the first year that it will just be DH and me all Xmas. It is a bit sad but not the end of the world. As long as my grandkids have a good time - and they will, because their parents will make sure they do - I am happy.

I am going to have minimal decorations as the kids aren't here, and no bloody turkey. Just our favourite stuff - probably lamb in some way, a really nice curry, chicken satay, Nutella cheesecake, Guinness punch... We haven't had alcohol around for the last two Xmases, as our new SiL turned out to be a recovered alcoholic. He says that it doesn't bother him if other people drink but it seems unkind to flaunt it in front of him. The punch is delicious, though, and the two of us will be able to guzzle it without shame.

I haven't bought any gifts yet but I am starting this week. Toys, baby clothes and books to buy online, vouchers for everyone else. I have given up on sending presents to the US, because it is such a hassle, so vouchers for them too.

Never have any idea what to give DH.
I don't think that I have ever managed to give him anything that he really loved. Our DD gave him a SatNav one year and I think that was his favourite gift. I have never managed to choose anything he liked as much. Our other DD bought a goat in his name for a poor village, which horrified him when he thought a goat would be delivered to our house. When he realised it was for charity, he thought it was a good idea. I have given him charity gifts too, mainly food and medicine for African kids. He grew up in Uganda and is always concerned about the plight of children there. (I recommend Good Gifts for charity gifts online.) However, I always feel the need to give him something personal too. Wish I could think of something!

JaneRn Wed 21-Oct-20 18:08:35

Grocery delivery coming on 1 November, have just booked next one for 15th. and expect to keep up usual fortnightly delivery as usual. Freezer has enough Christmas food for me just in case we are well and truly locked down, but still hope to get to family, only a ten minute drive away although it might as well be 100 if the worst happens! Nothing would tempt me to shop in stores so any ptresents will be bought online.

I always take special food and drink with me plus a few extras, eg crackers and small gifts for each person. Grandchildren are all in their twenties so they now get money for their main gift. Life gets simpler once they are grown up!

I have started writing cards, all bought in January, and I do feel a twinge of conscience when I hear of people who have stopped sending them and give the money to charity. I managed to cut down my list to sixty but the postage is horrendous and I really think I should find a better cause than the Royal Mail, but I do love receiving cards, more important perhaps as one gets older.

harrysgran Wed 21-Oct-20 17:30:49

Like Tish I have 3 birthdays to sort first and I can never get my head around Christmas shopping until I get those sorted

Daisymae Wed 21-Oct-20 17:20:10

I planned for a Tier 1 Christmas and now we are 2. I am not thinking that things are going to get any better any time soon. I am keeping delivery drivers busy as all shopping online and I am going to buy gifts even if we have to drop them off on the step. Having said that I suppose that might even be banned. I asked my AS what he would like and he said just for everyone to be well. That sounds like a good gift to me.

Daftbag1 Wed 21-Oct-20 17:14:28

We are expecting to be alone together as our daughter lives in the North. Last I heard we are going to be in full Covid 2nd wave.

My 8yr old GS has written to Santa already, he has said that he doesn't need any more toys because he's got lots, but he'd like some chocolate and a kitten for Rosie (the cat). Then he wants Santa to tell other people that they can buy chocolate and take it to the food bank.

Last year he saved his pocket money from September and bought 27 selection boxes and took them to the food bank. He's so sweet!

Lucca Wed 21-Oct-20 15:57:33

I saw people carting bags full of Christmas presents today. It’s the 21st October....... I just find it weird and sadly I find it makes me feel quite ill! I also am delighted to announce that I will only be buying children presents this year. We adults have all agreed to donate to our chosen charity. Hooray. Bloke and I haven’t bought each other Christmas or birthday presents for years now. Neither of us is mean, just don’t like the ritual buying.

Daddima Wed 21-Oct-20 15:50:10

All your food worries are over!

sharon103 Wed 21-Oct-20 14:45:05

Well done. smile
I ordered a turkey crown online last night and a few other bits to be collected at Morrisons on Christmas Eve.
I'm glad that's done.

Alioop Wed 21-Oct-20 13:59:02

Been out today early and now I've presents all sorted. Have some food and drink bought too. Queues in some shops were bad so glad I've it all finished. Hooray!

Tish Wed 21-Oct-20 12:59:40

Well done you...Not even thought about Christmas yet... I’ve 3 birthdays to deal with first! Happy Christmas when it comes.

Witzend Wed 21-Oct-20 12:58:05

Goodness, how organised - well done!
I’ve bought a few presents but nowhere near finished yet. I did unearth last year’s left over Christmas cards the other day, so I know how many more to buy.
Have also ordered some Christmas craft-y stuff for little Gdcs but will wait until late Nov. to pass it over.

Oh, and I did make 6 lb of Delia’s yummy mincemeat the other week, still have to do the puds though.

Lucca Wed 21-Oct-20 12:53:13

Daddima, how refreshing.

Daddima Wed 21-Oct-20 12:50:22

Five weeks in the sun booked ( free cancellation). No flights yet, until I see what happens. Failing that, I’ll just do whatever I fancy.

travelsafar Wed 21-Oct-20 12:46:47

I too have started for fear of a lockdown. Amazon has become my favourite friend smile I have also picked up a few bits while out shopping and today got some pigs in blankets which are now in the freezer. Xmas carrier bags on my landing in a row with some gifts wrapped and labelled. I still have cards to write out but i have bought stamps already. I think this year we are all preparing early for fear of lock down or other issues.