Gransnet forums

Christmas

Xmas decs

(154 Posts)
Gingster Thu 22-Oct-20 07:59:02

Has anyone got their Xmas decs up yet? On Tv yesterday, people showing their houses already decorated. I will do mine 1st December but I can understand people wanting a bit of magic after this horrendous year. ?

Redhead56 Sat 28-Nov-20 10:01:55

I put mine up over a week ago we have been extra miserable as many people have lately. I think it kick started the neighbours who followed suit. Now our road looks lovely and cheerful it brightens the spirit.

Grannynannywanny Sat 28-Nov-20 09:47:28

Ellianne I love that, thanks for sharing it. I’m going to copy and pass it on.

lemongrove Sat 28-Nov-20 09:39:04

It’s still good?( Perhaps it is Pam Ayres)

Ellianne Sat 28-Nov-20 09:32:48

No sorry, it was copied! Too good not to post.

lemongrove Sat 28-Nov-20 09:28:05

Ellianne ?That’s so good, am very impressed, reminds me of Pam Ayres.

Ellianne Sat 28-Nov-20 09:13:02

T’was a month before Christmas,
And all through the town,
People wore masks,
That covered their frown.
The frown had begun
Way back in the Spring,
When a global pandemic
Changed everything.
They called it corona,
But unlike the beer,
It didn’t bring good times,
It didn’t bring cheer.
Contagious and deadly,
This virus spread fast,
Like a wildfire that starts
When fueled by gas.
Airplanes were grounded,
Travel was banned.
Borders were closed
Across air, sea and land.
As the world entered lockdown
To flatten the curve,
The economy halted,
And folks lost their nerve.
From March to July
We rode the first wave,
People stayed home,
They tried to behave.
When summer emerged
The lockdown was lifted.
But away from caution,
Many folks drifted.
Now it’s November
And cases are spiking,
Wave two has arrived,
Much to our disliking.
Frontline workers,
Doctors and nurses,
Try to save people,
From riding in hearses.
This virus is awful,
This COVID-19.
There isn’t a cure.
There is no vaccine.
It’s true that this year
Has had sadness a plenty,
We’ll never forget
The year 2020.
And just ‘round the corner -
The holiday season,
But why be merry?
Is there even one reason?
To decorate the house
And put up the tree,
When no one will see it,
No-one but me.
But outside my window
The snow gently falls,
And I think to myself,
Let’s deck the halls!
So, I gather the ribbon,
The garland and bows,
As I play those old carols,
My happiness grows.
Christmas ain’t cancelled
And neither is hope.
If we lean on each other,
I know we can cope.

Willow500 Sat 28-Nov-20 08:10:42

We were hoping to be in our new house by now and I was looking forward to putting decs up there or at the very least doing the outside - other residents in the road already have theirs up as they're entering a town competition. Sadly the completion hasn't yet gone through so we are going to be putting some up in our temporary home. I bought a real tree in a pot yesterday to put outside - we will be able to take it with us when we finally get in.

travelsafar Sat 28-Nov-20 08:04:25

I am going to put my tree up today after seeing Xmas lights twinkling on a house in our neighbourhood this week and they looked so beautiful especially with the dreary weather yesterday. I have had my candle arch in the window for a week as wanted check the bulbs still worked but have resisted putting it on every evening until now. Hopefully this evening we will be bright and beautiful.smile

Witzend Thu 29-Oct-20 16:11:37

Same here, @hollysteers, we have masses, going back forever, enough to cover the monster tree dh and dds always came back with. He often had to saw a foot or two off the bottom before it’d fit in the sitting room, and we’d have to shift furniture to make space.

Nowadays we just have a 5 or 6 footer. I gave a lot of our decorations to a dd some time ago, but we still have more than we can use. I’ll admit to being tempted once or twice to buy just one particularly lovely one in the past few years, though

craftyone Thu 29-Oct-20 11:22:00

yes dorsetcupcake, light in darkness and with hope, that is why I am gathering the decs together

Oh the heart came as did the stars and wow they are stunning and uplifting, I already hung the heart onto a door handle and have wrapped two stars for DDs and the third star for me, wrapped so it keeps the glorious christmas scent. I wanted to buy some more hearts or circles and they have all sold out. I did buy a sample wine kit, perfect for me, three different glasses of wine and I bought a heart for my tree and a garland to hang on a hall mirror. The scent is gorgeous, it is enveloping me

Dorsetcupcake61 Thu 29-Oct-20 07:05:11

Normally I will not put the decorations up until at least mid December. My youngest daughter loves Christmas and to my amusement hers go up the first of November.
I love Autumn and have an Autumn wreath and cosy blankets.
This Christmas is probably going to be very different,well theres no probably about it!
My tree will go up mid November after my Birthday. Many of the decorations have been bought over the years and remind me of places and people. I love Christmas trees and watching the lights twinkle. I'm not sure I will decorate the rest of the house as I usually do but for me it does feel more about light in darkness and hope. Admittedly January may feel extra grim!

hollysteers Wed 28-Oct-20 23:47:42

Anybody else pull out the same box of decs every Xmas? I totally ignore the rows of new baubles in the shops, what with inheriting my mother’s and mine from the beginning of my marriage.
Very very occasionally I’m tempted by a new gee gaw, but not often.
My weakness is snow globes...❄️

Lavazza1st Wed 28-Oct-20 18:52:32

@3nanny6 yes it is hard. I'm sorry to hear about last Christmas and really hope this year is better. I agree it's all about the kids! I really should start thinking about what to buy my GS as even if I don't see them I have their address at least... I don't have an address for my eldest, so that is one GC who I can't buy for. Last year came and went without him as well. Really hope you can see your GC as near Christmas day as possible. It's just one day and yet we can have such high hopes for it.

I am hoping to reconcile with one son, so maybe will see one GC. If not, I will send gifts anyway for my GC. At least I know where they live. Failing that, I have one child still living at home, pets and a husband plus parents who need me so I will keep busy. I think having some treats to pamper yourself with is a really good plan. I think if you don't get time to use the treats then there's always boxing day but if the worst comes to the worst and you feel low then you can have all the treats!

3nanny6 Wed 28-Oct-20 16:59:13

Lavazzalst : It's hard when our adult children are not speaking to us and if you have no address for one of them there is not much you can do.

Last Christmas was the worst one and the first one my daughter with the GC was not speaking to me. My eldest daughter gets the GC around to stay with her for two days and I can see them at her flat so far their mum has not said I cannot.
I will be buying for the G.C and have already got a few things somehow someway I will make sure they get what I buy them. Christmas for me is all about the children and making sure they are happy. Even if I don't see them Christmas Day I will have some festive decs up and pamper myself with all sorts of things I like and stay as happy as possible my life goes on even when daughter may not want me in hers, that's her loss not mine.

Lavazza1st Wed 28-Oct-20 16:15:00

I have not bought anything. I am waiting to see which of my kids are still speaking to me and therefore which GC's to buy for. I do not have an address for one of them...

I will probably shop online when the time comes, maybe black friday. Meanwhile I have pretty lights ( snowflakes and stars) pine cones and pumpkins, Autumnal decor that will flow into Christmas as soon as I can feel ready for it.

3nanny6 Wed 28-Oct-20 15:10:34

I suppose everyone will soon start thinking about the Christmas decs. It is still to early for me.
I phoned my brother last Saturday and he had just come back from shopping and he told me he had bought two Christmas trees (artificial) and he had put one up in the living room already. I said it is far too early for that but he said he doesn't care.

I do agree with Craftyone I have never liked the wreaths on front doors they always make me think of death. All other decs I love.
Witzend you have reminded me about the candle bridge I already have one and I may get another one to put upstairs on the window ledge, I like the candle bridges.

All of a sudden this thread has got me thinking about decorations I must get some out of my cupboard soon.
I have been buying the chocolate goodie boxes for the GC
and several boxes of assorted chocolate which have been put away in the cupboard for now.
Yesterday I bought 2 very large boxes of butter shortbread which will probably be given as gifts to someone in the family. I could not resist to buy as they were such a bargain.

Lavazza1st Wed 28-Oct-20 14:08:46

It's really nice to get something from a small business or artist, as they are more likely to appreciate each sale. Maybe you put bread on their table and that's a nice thought, plus you get something unique and special.
How lovely!

Witzend Wed 28-Oct-20 09:31:58

Our Swedish friend used to put a ‘candle bridge’ in every window of their house, invariably starting on Advent Sunday.
She and her then dh lived down a narrow lane in very rural Devon and in the dark depths of midwinter they did look lovely.

PurpleStar Wed 28-Oct-20 08:25:11

I feel its each to their own.If putting up the tree early beings some comfort,then what's the harm.I usually do mine the 1st December.Ive a big house and put lots of lights,garlands etc up.It takes the best part of a week to do! I didnt do much last year as my Father had unexpectedly passed away and I was struggling.Due to Covid restrictions where I live it will be a quiet Christmas and my first ever one where we dont have to do the obligatory visiting of in-laws...I've always wanted just one christmas where we could stay home all day..careful what you wish for and all that...hmm

FannyCornforth Wed 28-Oct-20 08:18:56

craftyone thank you so much for the link.
I'm definitely going to get two of the heart shaped wreaths.
They are gorgeous, more Autumnal than Christmassy, meaning they can go up straight away!
I've already got some Autumn fairy lights from M&S, gold leaves, so not too Christmassy.smile

craftyone Wed 28-Oct-20 08:00:41

I do love it when I order something, open the box and there is a wow from me, when something is far nicer in real life

I ordered a twig heart for indoors from yorkshire lavender, I do appreciate the effort these small businesses are making in order to stay afloat. It will take the place of a felt hanging that I made long ago, it is truly time for me to change into a different mode, for me
www.lavenderworld.co.uk/collections/christmas

Lavazza1st Tue 27-Oct-20 18:14:24

That's awesome @Craftyone! I don't know why I let my Mother's opinon stop me from having one. I am also avoiding sugar in any form due to PreDiabetes which I'm trying to reverse. Hence the fairy lights and other bits.

Really sorry about the loss of your husband! The red sparkly heart sounds lovely and of course, you should treat yourself any way you can and stay as well as possible.

craftyone Tue 27-Oct-20 09:36:19

Lavazzalst, I need to treat myself to get through tbh and I am doing my level best to avoid sugar filled treats. The baubles have come and they are certainly ones that I will cherish. I bought the sparkly red heart, in memory of my husband, it is gorgeous

Lavazza1st Mon 26-Oct-20 21:54:45

Ive never had a wreath because as I remember my Mother saying they were funereal and I can hear her saying it. I've always thought they look very smart, though.

Oooh Alessi baubles @craftyone ! Very nice and a great idea!

craftyone Mon 26-Oct-20 11:06:23

Yes I am looking forward to decorating as well, btw wreath hanging is obviously my own personal choice, no disrespect to anyone making the best of covid time by hanging a door wreath. Maybe I will see one that is uplifting on my walks, hope so

I sorted out my decs this weekend, final sorting will take place when I put my wooden tree in place in december. I am not sure about the large costco glittery baubles, I took the box down and they do look cheery, I only threw a few things out and rescued a home made sequinned grandma and grandpa christmas, popped them in the cardboard box of goodies that I will be sending to my dd in wales next month

I felt like treating myself and have bought a couple of alessi baubles, will keep them carefully in their boxes as potential heirlooms