Gransnet forums

Christmas

Christmas present for grandson

(19 Posts)
Shawlands2000 Sun 25-Oct-20 12:10:22

Can anyone recommend a good toy garage for my 3 year old grandson? Not sure to go for a wooden or plastic one.

boodymum67 Sun 25-Oct-20 13:29:41

Hi, I would think a wooden one will be sturdier. Have you googled the subject?

Bibbity Sun 25-Oct-20 13:45:47

Personally I would always prefer wooden if given the choice. Easier to clean, sturdier and better for the environment.

phoenix Sun 25-Oct-20 13:51:28

Although they are plastic, Fisher Price toys seem to last forever!

vegansrock Sun 25-Oct-20 14:35:04

The Fisher Price garage with the wind up lift was always a favourite but if you go for that dont buy new, get one of the original ones on eBay and give it a good scrub. Don’t buy new plastic. Failing that ask the parents.

Harris27 Sun 25-Oct-20 14:38:52

Plastic would be better for cleaning especially in these awkward times.

Bibbity Sun 25-Oct-20 14:46:22

I will admit. Fisher price garages do seem to be immortal.

Grandmabatty Sun 25-Oct-20 14:51:55

The toot toot stuff is very popular although it is plastic. I would ask his parents first though.

mokryna Sun 25-Oct-20 14:52:55

Bought the Fisher Price garage in a boot sale for about £5, I don’t know how many years ago. Washed it up and gave it as a Christmas present, it has served three daughters, three grandsons and three granddaughters. Another time I bought the hospital, the vet kit and I am now sadly looking at the train which at that time had the engine as well as three carriages because the plastic is becoming brittle. Have the school and camper with wooden people.

silverlining48 Sun 25-Oct-20 16:40:34

Oh yes, the camper, we still have ours too. The grandies love it.

midgey Sun 25-Oct-20 16:49:30

Aldi have wooden garages this week in the middle aisle. Looked great for a young child and usually a good price. They also had other lovely wooden toys.

Grannynannywanny Sun 25-Oct-20 16:58:15

Another vote for the Fisher Price garage. I bought one for my house 13 years ago and it’s been well used by my 4 grandchildren. The youngest is 5 and he still loves it. Very sturdy and easy to keep clean.

Shawlands2000 Mon 26-Oct-20 10:46:23

Thanks for the suggestions ladies. Will have a look at all of them.

bonicurtis Thu 13-May-21 15:05:12

I recommend Toy truck toys for boys and girls toy cars, I bought this toy for our 2 year old as a reward to motivate him to start potty training. He and our 3 year old son love these minivans. They have been used a lot in the sand and outdoors.

BlueBelle Thu 13-May-21 15:18:52

Another vote for wooden toys they are so lovely to hold, touch, play with and so much better for the environment we need to stop all these plastic toys Brio make lovely tracks cars trains and tracks etc

Witzend Thu 03-Jun-21 11:26:35

I have to admit that FP toys seem to last for ever.

We have the FP school, given to dd1 for her first Christmas.
We still have it - she’s 44 now - and Gdcs - now 6, 4 and 1, love playing with it when they visit. We seem to have lost the magnetic letters, but still have all the little figures and all their toys and little chairs etc.

annodomini Thu 03-Jun-21 11:46:30

When I saw the heading of this thread, my reaction was - well, unprintable. Christmas? Why resurrect an old thread about Christmas at this time of year? My thoughts are still unprintable!

M0nica Thu 03-Jun-21 12:26:26

Never buy a small chid a toy without consultation with parents or carers. Even the 3 year old himself will, in a general conversation about garages, probably tell you that a boy he plays with has a specific garage and he wants one like his.

Thistlelass Tue 16-Nov-21 00:29:49

It is possible to get a remote control Thomas engine. Advertised as their first remote control. My grandson loved it. Specially for a young one. Some Duplo might be acceptable. Or if you want to buy books, the Julia Donaldson ones are very good.