Gransnet forums

Christmas

Making the Christmas puddings

(6 Posts)
Mapleleaf Sun 01-Nov-20 11:59:06

I'll be making mine on stir up Sunday, 22nd November. The smell is lovely , isn't it Wirzend? I hope your basins will fit in the slow cooker - it's so much easier, they do not dry out and there's no steam all over the kitchen. ?
I made my cake yesterday. Another glorious smell wafting through the kitchen ?.

Teetime Sun 01-Nov-20 11:47:30

DH made 2 last year so we have one which has been maturing nicely in the wardrobe. we will give it a nice dowsing of brandy before steaming it on Christmas day. Love the pud!

Witzend Sun 01-Nov-20 11:45:00

Must check whether my pudding basins will fit in my slow cooker. I’ve always done them in a big pan of simmering water halfway up - bit of a PITA since it’s a good 5 hours, and they need frequent topping up with boiling water.

On the day I just reheat in the microwave though - always fine.

Calendargirl Sun 01-Nov-20 10:39:18

Made mine yesterday, slow cooked the first one then, and the second one cooking away steadily now.

Oopsadaisy4 Sun 01-Nov-20 10:11:23

Well done Witzend we will not be downhearted.

We still have last years to eat.

Witzend Sun 01-Nov-20 10:03:40

Something to do this week. I shall still make 2 big ones as usual - dh will eat it all through January given half a chance, and if we’re not able to be with them I’ll drop one off at dd’s house.

Now just need to see what I need to buy, though I think I’ve got most of what I need, including the ale! The smell when mixing up is gorgeous - so Christmassy - I might well be tempted to play some carols too.?