Gransnet forums

Christmas

What will you do about returning students?

(15 Posts)
Moonlight113 Sat 21-Nov-20 12:58:28

I do get very down sometimes about how Christmas has to be this year. But there is nothing to be done about it.

Moonlight113 Sat 21-Nov-20 12:56:53

I am not letting mine in the house. Just hoping and praying there will more Christmases in the future when he can come to Gran's house. He knows how much I love him.

boodymum67 Sat 21-Nov-20 11:11:51

My granddaughter, who began uni in September, lives with me. So yes, we`ll be together and love it.

shysal Sat 21-Nov-20 11:09:26

I am immunosuppressed, so don't plan to spend any time with GCs. They are all at school/college/work. If we are allowed a socially distanced walk outside by then, I might see those who can be ar*ed to get out of bed!
I am looking forward to planning my solo Christmas food.

Hetty58 Sat 21-Nov-20 08:42:12

We are all grown ups, so quite capable of giving Christmas visits a miss this year. We can wait.

As WW2 says, we are so close to defeating Covid with vaccination that it's just mad to take chances now.

I just don't understand why people are willing to risk their lives (and others' lives) having been sensible since March. Why ruin things?

Ellianne Sat 21-Nov-20 08:31:32

And yes, I did say "if they (students) want to" = unlikely.

Ellianne Sat 21-Nov-20 08:29:32

Wwm2 I think the government will give a 5 day window of some sort. It won't want to enter a battle it can't win with only a small proportion on its side.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 21-Nov-20 08:28:29

Ellianne

If they want to see you enough they have the option to quarantine themselves once they return home from 12th December.

They are 16 and 20!!

The are as hedonistic as most young people are. You think that they won’t be seeing friends, girl friends etc. Far more important than Grandma and Grandad! And that is how it should be.

With luck and a fair wind this will be the only Christmas that we shall ever experience like this, so let’s be adult about it and look forward to next year when we can all breath a sigh of relief.

Gingster Sat 21-Nov-20 08:26:18

My DG has been home for two weeks already. (Unable to get back to Uni because of lockdown) . So she has been essentially isolating at home. We will definitely see her over Christmas.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 21-Nov-20 08:22:26

I do hope that this dopey government doesn’t give covid a 5 day window of opportunity for more deaths and illness though.

We already know that we have the ability to stop it via a vaccine.

This will almost certainly be the only Christmas that we will have to alter our behaviour for the good of all. It isn’t a lot to ask is it?

Ellianne Sat 21-Nov-20 08:20:34

If they want to see you enough they have the option to quarantine themselves once they return home from 12th December.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 21-Nov-20 05:15:16

Social distance walk and picnic of course?

Whitewavemark2 Sat 21-Nov-20 05:13:47

No DD and we, had the discussion a while back and decided too much of a risk to eat together on Christmas Day, but have a back up plan of flask, turkey sandwiches and Christmas cake along with picnic chairs in the open air after a nice long walk with the dogs on Boxing Day. It is touch and go whether the grandsons will be up and awake to join us?

Rain will not stop the walk, but the repast will be eaten in respective cars with windows down to chat.

SueDonim Sat 21-Nov-20 00:59:51

Not a student but my daughter is a junior hospital doctor in Yorkshire. She’ll be welcomed home with open arms - if she has any time off.

Lizbethann55 Fri 20-Nov-20 23:06:31

I am so glad that this isn't a dilemma that I will have , but I wonder what those of you who have DGC who are students and will have been away at university all autumn, do about seeing them when they return home at Christmas? I am sure that you will have missed them dreadfully, but will you hope to meet up with them, taking in to account that they may well have come from virus hotspots?