Gransnet forums

Christmas

Christmas wreath on front door, advice please! ☺

(24 Posts)
phoenix Sun 22-Nov-20 16:38:30

Hello all, usual good wishes.

As thread titles says, we would like to have one this year.

But we have a upvc door, part glazed, so can't use nails.

I did think of a suction cup type thing, but not sure how it would cope when it got windy, which it does!

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thank you.

Feelingmyage55 Sun 22-Nov-20 16:48:40

Two vertical, very thin nylon cords. Then attach at chosen height with separate cord - if the door will still close and lock. I’ve done this with a wooden door for the same reason. The drought excluders allowed some give. I had to use orange but hey very festive.

Feelingmyage55 Sun 22-Nov-20 16:50:48

Autocorrect - draught
Don’t ask for a diagram ? imagine an H with the wreath on the horizontal.
HTH (been reading text abbreviations!)

Nanny27 Sun 22-Nov-20 16:55:22

You can buy an over door hanger that hooks over the top of your door. It's very thin so the door should still close OK.

tanith Sun 22-Nov-20 16:57:57

I have a similar door i hang mine with nylon thread from the knocker if you have one.

baubles Sun 22-Nov-20 17:02:48

I use ribbon to hang the wreath but make it a very long loop to go over the door. Attach a strong command hook UPSIDE DOWN to the inside of the door. Tada!

baubles Sun 22-Nov-20 17:03:50

Oh and then attach a decorative thingy to cover the hook.

phoenix Sun 22-Nov-20 17:17:32

Feelingmyage55

Two vertical, very thin nylon cords. Then attach at chosen height with separate cord - if the door will still close and lock. I’ve done this with a wooden door for the same reason. The drought excluders allowed some give. I had to use orange but hey very festive.

Sorry, but I'm completely confuddled by this confused what do you attach the vertical cords to?

tanith, sadly I am without knocker!

*baubles, what is a command hook?

nanny27 will try to find one, but if you could possibly provide a link, I would be grateful!

midgey Sun 22-Nov-20 17:22:56

Try a Command hook, I have successfully used one on my front door. They are easy to take off so long as you keep the instructions! Command hooks come in different weight categories so easy to find what you want. Available in Tesco’s and B And Q near us.

phoenix Sun 22-Nov-20 17:26:41

Found the over do or wreath hangers! smile

Midgey, thank you, but that would mean around a 45 minute drive. Each way!

phoenix Sun 22-Nov-20 17:36:38

Found command hooks!

Thank you all!

grandma60 Sun 22-Nov-20 20:22:57

Phionix Glad you have found your command hooks but just to let you know that Lakeland do large suction cups with a hook especially for wreaths.

Hetty58 Sun 22-Nov-20 20:28:07

I used ribbon, top to bottom and left to right, tied securely on the inside of the door. It was so thin that it made no difference to opening and closing.

Deedaa Sun 22-Nov-20 21:33:35

My daughter bought me one of the suction cup things a couple of years ago (possibly from a garden centre) and it has worked very well. I was surprised.

EllanVannin Sun 22-Nov-20 21:43:14

Oh dear I don't like wreaths.

etheltbags1 Sun 22-Nov-20 21:50:42

I put a wreath on my side gate. No probs with a nail. It looks festive and rustic and is near the door.

Auntieflo Sun 22-Nov-20 21:51:17

Baubles, I was going to write that, but you explained it much better than I could.
We have had this arrangement for several years now, and it works a treat.

Daisymae Sun 22-Nov-20 22:16:38

I have a clear hook that goes over the top of the door. Easy peasy.

pollyperkins Mon 23-Nov-20 07:22:23

I have a similar door & have tried hanging the wreath from the door knocker but it does tend to bang when the door is opened or closed. Now I hang it from a fancy hook (don’t know what it’s called) next to the door which is really for a hanging basket in the summer. This works well.

eazybee Mon 23-Nov-20 11:07:23

The next door neighbours have glass in the top half of their door, so they attach the wreath to a hook in the brickwork at the side of the door.

SuzannahM Mon 23-Nov-20 11:14:43

We found some hooks in our garden centre that somehow create tension by locking the hook part onto the base plate. They are very strong and you remove them just by lifting the hook part. Don't know what they are called, but you can get something on Amazon called push and lock suction hooks, which sound the same sort of thing. They work well on our uPVC door.

phoenix Mon 23-Nov-20 11:20:11

Thank you all!

EllanVannin the ones I was looking at are pre lit in green, white and silver, but as the decent ones seem to be £25 to £35, shock Mr P suddenly isn't quite so keen blush

HAZBEEN Mon 23-Nov-20 11:23:58

Can anyone tell me why this thread is not appearing on my last day list? It hasn't all along. It only shows up on the trending list at the side.

NatashaGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 23-Nov-20 15:45:14

Hi HAZBEEN - we've taken a look and we're having the same problem, so we've passed this onto our tech team. It looks like it's the 'Christmas' topic, so we'll hopefully get this sorted soon. smile