Gransnet forums

Christmas

An Advent ‘street’ - lovely idea IMO, especially now.

(20 Posts)
Witzend Sat 28-Nov-20 10:54:15

I’d never heard of this before, but dd’s road are doing it - lots of families with young children and generally very community-minded.

24 houses are participating. They’re each allocated a day when they will make a Christmassy display in a front window, all kept up throughout Advent, or rather from the 1st to the 24th, so everybody else can enjoy an ‘Advent-window watching walk’ after dark.

Gdcs are very excited about getting their window ready for their allocated day!
Has anyone else heard of this?

timetogo2016 Sat 28-Nov-20 11:01:39

No never heard of this,but if it makes people happy i`m all for it.

annsixty Sat 28-Nov-20 11:03:15

My friend who lives near Nottingham is doing this in her village.
People wanting to take part put their names forward and 24 were nominated.
My friend drew number 1 so on Tuesday she will start things of with a Nativity scene.
Residents can buy a map, proceeds to charity, showing the location of each house.
Brilliant idea.

Ellianne Sat 28-Nov-20 11:35:56

That sounds like a lovely idea. The Christmas feeling can still be brought alive and shared.
I'm off to think of something similar. Thank you.

Ellianne Sat 28-Nov-20 11:37:36

GN can I borrow this please to put on another thread?

Ellianne Sat 28-Nov-20 11:38:26

If Witzend doesn't mind of course.

FannyCornforth Sat 28-Nov-20 11:39:13

Oh, this is a great idea!
I might do a bit of a tableaux (ooh, get me!smile) in the front window.

FannyCornforth Sat 28-Nov-20 11:40:32

Ellianne

GN can I borrow this please to put on another thread?

I'm just being nosy, forgive me, what thread?
Is there a 'good ideas' thread that I'm missing?
Thank you!

Luckygirl Sat 28-Nov-20 11:41:59

Yes - our village is doing this; but in the end we decided to allow a free-for-all in the sense of not confining it to 25 windows nor opening them up each day. This was partly to allow the schoolchildren to take part and they are planning an expedition for the children round the village at the end of term to see all the windows and wave to the householders. Should be fun!

Witzend Sat 28-Nov-20 11:43:41

Of course I don’t mind!
I’d love to do it where we live, but alas, hardly any children any more, they’re mostly as old as me and dh, or even older, so I’m sure the response would be a resounding No thanks! And definitely a Bah humbug! from our resident Very Grumpy Old Git. (But he was always grumpy even when he wasn’t old.)

avitorl Sat 28-Nov-20 11:45:54

It does sound like a lovely,fun idea and great for bringing a Community together.

Ashcombe Sat 28-Nov-20 11:47:26

What a delightfully novel idea! I’m sure that “children” of all ages will enjoy this!

Sar53 Sat 28-Nov-20 12:33:27

Where my youngest daughter lives, everyone who wants to take part has agreed to turn on their outside Christmas lights at 5.00 this afternoon. Families can walk a route to see as many as they wish. I think it is a lovely idea.

Lucretzia Sat 28-Nov-20 12:36:16

Lovely idea!

Susan56 Sat 28-Nov-20 12:55:16

Our youngest daughter is doing this.It is over a few roads.They were given a Christmas song or hymn and then there will be a map of all the participating houses.

Maggiemaybe Sat 28-Nov-20 13:00:34

What a lovely idea! And so nice to have a new tradition.

annsixty Sat 28-Nov-20 13:43:55

My friend who is doing it is 81 and lives alone.
You are never too old.

seacliff Sat 28-Nov-20 13:52:49

A village near us has been doing it for several years. They raise money for local charities.

If I wasn't up a track in the sticks, I would too, especially this year.

JackyB Sun 29-Nov-20 13:18:07

Our village has done this for years, organised by the Churches in an ecumenical effort. Each evening a window in the village was lit up and anyone who wanted to, especially children could go along and admire it, hear a reading, say a prayer and sing a hymn or an advent sing together.

After a few years the enthusiasm waned a little, or the organisers got overwhelmed, and it was reduced to every other day. Some nights (it was always at 6 pm) only a handful turned up but on other nights, crowds of up to 50 spilled out into the road.

Drinks and refreshments were not supposed to be served but some people did this anyway and people stayed behind for ages, chatting.

This year there will be windows lit up in the various church buildings and people are invited to walk over and admire them. Hopefully it will be back to gatherings outside people's houses again next year.

kittylester Sun 29-Nov-20 13:54:18

My daughter lives in Derby where they have done this for years. It looks lovely!!

Our village is having a 'trail' of decorated houses. And we had the Christmas Tree Festival in the church opened by local author over Zoom last night.