Gransnet forums

Christmas

Christmas Tips ?

(75 Posts)
Sparklefizz Sun 29-Nov-20 18:15:05

I have a newspaper delivered one day a week, on Sundays, and today I received my first Christmas card of the season, signed in a childlike hand "From your Sunday Paperboy".

Now I happen to have seen my "Sunday Paperboy" many times because a silver car pulls up outside my house and a middleaged man gets out to put the paper through my letterbox. Maybe his son is the official paperboy but has a lie in instead. Who knows?

Anyway, clearly the Christmas card is in order to trigger a Christmas tip. I pay 35p a week for the paper to be delivered. Do I tip or not? And if I do tip, then how much?

Elegran Sat 05-Dec-20 22:21:49

Every time I see the title of this thread, I think , " . . . and Alastair"

Sienna1234 Sat 05-Dec-20 21:41:16

I am in my early sixties and did a weekly and Sunday paper round . I got a tip off every customer. I can't believe you are asking this question. They have to get up early in all weathers. 35p to get your paper delivered! It should be double that.

sazz1 Tue 01-Dec-20 23:19:43

Reminds me of my son xmas week when I suggested he put a Xmas card signed from your paper boy J.... as nobody had given him any Xmas tips. He was doubtful but tried it
Next day people were calling him down the streets shouting J here's your Xmas present, giving him money and chocolate. He had over £20 in cash which was a lot for a 13yr old then. He never missed a day and was out in all winds and weathers so he earned it.

rascalsgran Tue 01-Dec-20 21:24:09

My son was a paperboy and appreciated every tip he was given at Christmas. He was always on time and never late. I always tipped our paperboy/girl by leaving the money in a card at the newsagents. My son later took a career break and became a postie for a while and was amazed that he got tips again. I always tip my postman if I can catch him! A good idea to leave the dustmen a tin of sweets or beer, they work hard.

midgey Tue 01-Dec-20 18:23:53

I wonder how many people saying they won’t tip a paperboy in a car get up very everyday without fail!

Magrithea Tue 01-Dec-20 18:08:09

We tip the man who delivers the paper (not a boy, we're rural), the refuse and recycling collection team and the postie - they all work hard in all weathers and deserve it

cupcake1 Tue 01-Dec-20 17:50:04

If I had a paperboy I would definitely tip. My 3 children did one in the 80’s They all posted Christmas cards through the doors of their customers and were tipped quite well they were so chuffed! I remember one DS had £10 in a Christmas card he thought they had made a mistake so knocked on the door to tell them. They said no they hadn’t made a mistake but thanked him for his honesty! Same son found £5 on the road but left it in case the person who lost it came back! Bless him ?

Patticake123 Tue 01-Dec-20 14:55:23

You’ve taken me back down memory lane to the days I had a paper round. The Christmas tips were never asked for but my goodness they were gratefully received. I’d give something, it’s a soulless task delivering papers.

melp1 Tue 01-Dec-20 14:25:44

I remember both my sons having Sunday Paper rounds. They were so heavy and the newsagent had to deliver the second bag when they were 1/2 way round. They always went out even in snow and rain I'd definitely tip if I had a paperboy.

Daisend1 Tue 01-Dec-20 14:22:44

Living in a rural area my deliveries are by vehicle so not unusual to have a variety of 'posties'. How do I tip ?

Daisend1 Tue 01-Dec-20 14:06:30

My view of a 'paper boy or girl' is one who will be ,ON foot OR push bike and in all weathers come rain or shine deliver your paper. If your paper is delivered in this way and not as it seems does your paper, in the warmth of a car, then why feel obliged to tip..

Musicgirl Tue 01-Dec-20 14:02:07

My son was a paperboy and many people on his round put their tips in a Christmas card, which is what I now do. They work hard for their money in all weather conditions and the tips are a real encouragement for them.

Justwidowed Tue 01-Dec-20 13:51:27

I only tip the binmen ,half a dozen home made fresh mince pies for each crew of three.They always have a break at the bottom of our cul de sac so pleased with their snack.
My son used to deliver milk early every day and was never tipped but was when he delivered papers .

hallgreenmiss Tue 01-Dec-20 13:30:56

Our newsagent has a box on the counter for paper boy/girl tips.

Llamedos13 Tue 01-Dec-20 13:18:19

As a mom of two papergirls way back in the eighties,they delivered papers every day after school in all weathers (Canadian winters ?). Customers tipped very generously every Christmas and my girls appreciated every $. I made sure they wrote a thank you card. If we still had this service I would definately give a tip,

Gelisajams Tue 01-Dec-20 12:58:59

At a previous house our milkman used to leave us an enormous box of expensive chocolates every year. It made tipping him quite embarrassing as we couldn’t compete! ?

Alioop Tue 01-Dec-20 12:55:20

A tub of sweets maybe? Can get the all the usual ones in supermarkets for £4. He can share with his dad then lol

pollyperkins Tue 01-Dec-20 12:29:10

Idont tip other delivery men as it’s never the same one twice.
I do tip my hairdresser.

pollyperkins Tue 01-Dec-20 12:27:25

We always tip the paperboy (actually an adult just now but otherwise out of work), the milk man & the postman. £5 each in a Christmas card.
We leave a four pack of beer for dustbin men.

polnan Tue 01-Dec-20 12:24:26

I like this thread, reminds me of all of those people , out there, in far more need than I am.

knspol Tue 01-Dec-20 12:15:38

No doubt the actual paper boy will be showing up himself before Christmas in which case I'd give him £2 and tell him one is for him and one for his dad!

Charleygirl5 Tue 01-Dec-20 12:13:53

Here it is rarely the same postman twice and ditto with the Morrison's delivery man. We were asked by the council years ago not to tip the bin men because they were becoming a nuisance- practically asking for it so these days I tip nobody because it is rarely the same person twice.

travelsafar Tue 01-Dec-20 11:57:49

I wil defo be tipping my hairdresser at Xmas. She has worked so hard to maintain SD in her little salon. She will have lost a lot of money during lockdowns but still has rent and rates to pay on her little building.

Unigran4 Tue 01-Dec-20 11:53:20

My postman puts a card through my door every 1st December (I received it about an hour ago) with words along the lines of "Please remember your postman at Christmas"! and if I haven't "remembered" him by about the 18th/19th December, he stops putting my post through the door and knocks with it instead to hand it to me! Presumably until I give in and am guilted into giving him a tip. What he doesn't know is that I was a postie for 20 years and am very much able to ignore his affrontery. He'll get a tip from me when he stops "asking" for one. So, probably never!

Kim19 Tue 01-Dec-20 11:50:58

Postie and Bin men for me only. Postie, pretty regular young girl and recognise some of the BM faces. Any newbies will just be lucky on the day I dole!