Gransnet forums

Christmas

Will you dress up on Christmas day

(155 Posts)
Judy54 Fri 11-Dec-20 13:29:53

Having lived in casual clothes since March, I want to put some glad rags on on Christmas day. I have a lovely pair of silver crushed velvet trousers, a sparkly top and some pretty earrings which will be just the job. It is only my Partner and myself this Year but I want to make the effort. How about you whether you are on your own, with a Partner, family or friends will you wear something a little dressy?

AmberSpyglass Thu 17-Dec-20 15:35:55

I always dress up and my wife never does - so I’ll either be in my new-ish dress or (fingers crossed) the red velvet pyjamas I think I’m getting, and she’ll probably be in a T-shirt and joggers! It’s a hard burden being the most stylish half of a couple...

Artaylar Thu 17-Dec-20 15:34:20

Hey, thanks for that MayBee70.

I wore it the other day when visiting a friend (we've both been pretty much self isolating). Just about carried it off, not that DH is likely to notice.......sheesh, what are they like eh.

MayBee70 Wed 16-Dec-20 20:04:00

Artaylar

Having lived in PJ's for pretty much all the time since March, I'll be making a bit of an effort when it will just be DH and I on Xmas Day.
Joe Brown's top as per the image (if I've managed to sort this ok) Bought it recently as it looked a bit Xmassy. Will team up with black skinny trousers and black boots.

That’s gorgeous!

SuzannahM Wed 16-Dec-20 19:36:49

Yes, we always do. Nothing posh, though, just any nice dress or skirt, makeup and jewellery, and nice trousers and shirt for OH. But not until lunch is prepped and cooking started.

Table on the other hand gets very poshed up with nice glassware and serving dishes, candles, crackers, holly - only happens about three times a year.

Artaylar Wed 16-Dec-20 16:11:20

Having lived in PJ's for pretty much all the time since March, I'll be making a bit of an effort when it will just be DH and I on Xmas Day.
Joe Brown's top as per the image (if I've managed to sort this ok) Bought it recently as it looked a bit Xmassy. Will team up with black skinny trousers and black boots.

MayBee70 Wed 16-Dec-20 13:29:35

I think I’ll put some make up on....

Alioop Wed 16-Dec-20 10:05:00

Just my sis & I so if Santa brings me new PJs I've decided to spend the day in them. Can change bottoms when dog walking lol. Comfy with elasticated waistband and cosy. Hair& makeup will be done of course!

Picklesandrea1 Tue 15-Dec-20 14:06:38

I think it gives you a boost to dress up. You never know
someone may call round, even socially distanced and you want to look your best! Lol Have a Merry Christmas ??

Blossoming Tue 15-Dec-20 13:59:06

Here you go gnetters, fill yer boots ?

www.johnlewis.com/content/fashion/women/what-to-wear-at-christmas?s_emlid=HERO&tmcampid=81&s_emcid=JLE1234_246_TR_20201215_&s_emuid=37F8E65992FD4832B7659CFD6DF04AC5&sfmc_e=37F8E65992FD4832B7659CFD6DF04AC5

janipans Tue 15-Dec-20 00:34:05

Gosh! I was looking forward to spending Christmas day dossing in my dressing gown, doing my new jigsaw, watching rubbish tv and eating choccy liqueurs! Perhaps I need a rethink!

Callistemon Mon 14-Dec-20 23:09:16

I will though brush my hair

I might even blow dry mine!

Rendella Mon 14-Dec-20 22:47:42

Both of my granddaughters love to see me dressed up to the nines, so I will make the effort for them. They are both coming to see me and my husband on Boxing Day. I favour a new top from Seasalt together with some smart trousers, and plenty of jewellery on. Fave perfume is Mon Paris by Yves St. Laurent.

nannyof4 Mon 14-Dec-20 22:36:41

Yes i will dress up,normally we go away to family but of course we cant this year.So just be OH and I,he will wear a christmas t shirt and i will wear a floaty red and black dress i wore last year from Primark,with black leggings.
We will be having a few skype sessions so want to look nice.

Nanna58 Mon 14-Dec-20 20:57:26

Am wearing soft grey wide leg animal print joggers and grey jumper from M&S and will gussie up with some grey tassell dangly earrings and silvery slippers. It will be nice after months of leggings and sweatshirts.

Tickledpink Mon 14-Dec-20 20:11:05

Yes I have a lovely chiffon top I haven’t worn yet and it’s earmarked for 25th.

Froglady Mon 14-Dec-20 19:22:23

Only with a Christmas jumper.

Iam64 Mon 14-Dec-20 19:03:29

Well, its me, Mr iam, that spaniel and a new puppy here. That spaniel has yet to acknowledge the puppy without barking or growling at him. She's taken to sitting on her chair refusing to make eye contact.
New puppy =toilet training. The garden is soaked after weeks of rain. Puppy attempts to eat leaves and any greenery he can get his mouth round.
I did plan to wear my black frock but.... looking more like leggings/jeans and a top that can be thrown in the washer after muddy puppy gets carried in. Ok, several tops.
I will though brush my hair and wear some ear rings.

ElaineRI55 Mon 14-Dec-20 18:14:24

Just myself, DH and two stepdaughters this year. Will see my kids,their spouses and 8 GC when it's a wee bit safer. Yes, we'll all make an effort. Velvet plum coloured dress for me probably - not new but kept for special occasions. It is a special day and we'll no doubt take a few photos and have a quick video call to some of the other family members, so will try to make it not just another lockdown day in jammies or leggings!

CBBL Mon 14-Dec-20 17:12:12

I've got a Christmas T Shirt won in a Charity (for Cats) with the logo "MEOWY Christmas", and will probably have Black Trousers on, with some sparkly jewellery to "dress it up a bit". Just hubby and I and our two cats, so a fairly relaxed day.

Bazza Mon 14-Dec-20 15:20:05

In a word, no! I’m doing the cooking and will inevitably spill grease and gravy all down myself. Decent hair and full slap though. I’ll have every intention of changing later but realistically probably won’t get around to it.

BigBertha1 Mon 14-Dec-20 14:58:39

Again I am late to this party sorry. We always dress up on Christmas Day and thankfully this year I am dong dinner for our daughter, her husband and grandson. I haven't been able to do this for years for reasons of distance etc. I have a new Boden midi floral (but not like curtains) or a new White Stuff devore dress. One for Christmas Day and one for Boxing Day.
Love the sound of yours Lettice can we see a picture after Christmas?

grandtanteJE65 Mon 14-Dec-20 14:54:12

We always bath, shave (DH) and dress nicely for Christmas dinner and the presents. I have various voluminous aprons to don whilst cooking or washing up.

Lettice Mon 14-Dec-20 14:27:47

Through the lockdowns I have been very interested in late Victorian/Edwardian fashion, and have made some garments. On Christmas Day I will be wearing a long skirt, straight front with fulness at the back, a high necked blouse, with petticoats, lace-up heeled ankle boots, earrings and an up-do. If it is cool I will wear a short closefitting woollen jacket on top. I am going to show off.

Missingmoominmama Mon 14-Dec-20 14:09:36

@Kamiso- I hope you recover soon flowers

I’m going for a sunrise hike up a big hill, so I’ll be wearing mostly merino grin.

Suzan05 Mon 14-Dec-20 14:03:01

I'm thinking of putting a dress on but DH has little interest in Christmas and won't bother, probably won't even notice I have a dress on. Doesn't seem much point as, like the last two years it will just be the two of us. ??