Gransnet forums

Christmas

Christmas as usual

(66 Posts)
M0nica Tue 15-Dec-20 13:03:09

I have decided to have a normal Christmas. That doesn't mean any breaking of rules.

It means that the house will be as decorated as it always is, cooking and catering will be as normal and those present will do all the usual things. On the day, there may be only DD and me as DH is in hospital, he may be home, he may have day release, or we may be visiting him.

It was writing about my childhood as an army brat. No matter where we were. Christmas day was always the same. I suddenly realised that we were in a similar situation this year and I ddid not want ' year without Christmas' when I allow outside circumstances change our traditions, so everything is going ahead and normal.

Must just dash off and decant the blackberry gin.

Lucca Wed 16-Dec-20 19:40:12

Thank you Jane !

Coolgran65 Wed 16-Dec-20 20:33:44

Normally everyone available is at DS for Christmas dinner. This year it will be very different. Youngest ds3 will come to us for dinner bringing his garlicky creamy sprouts. I will do 3 rib eye steaks with potatoes of some sort probably roasties and also roast carrots. A trifle as usual but no choices of puddings. Gravy or a pepper sauce.
On Boxing Day we will go to ds1 and family for a turkey buffet. They live 10 minutes distance. We will stay 3 or 4 hours. That will be the sum total of our mixing over the 5 days easement.

B9exchange Wed 16-Dec-20 20:51:58

Decorations up as usual, large real tree, and I have got some candle lights for it this year which look lovely. We have two cribs, green foliage found mirror and up the stairs, with lights woven in. Family of Konstmide penguins, snowman and reindeer outside with two lit trees and coloured lanterns round the windows, coloured lights on the mini tree by the front door, and large glass lanterns with candles in front of the door. I love Christmas decorations!

We will have two DSs and their families as permitted. Doing all the usual cooking and present buying. I need this touch of normality and all the work involved to stay sane.

womblekelly Wed 16-Dec-20 22:05:55

Only difference this year is meeting family in a park instead of indoors on 23rd, working Christmas Morning then home to cook dinner ... a turkey crown etc for just four of us.

Nansnet Thu 17-Dec-20 09:46:59

Lucca asked, "Have the bubble rules changed?"

Well, my bubble rules are staying the same as always ... Keeping plenty of them in the fridge!tchgrin

Christmas day won't be quite the same this year, without our family visiting, due to travel restrictions. But we will still be getting together with our son's in laws (as always), and I know we'll have a lovely time ... especially with a good stock of bubbles!wink

Urmstongran Thu 17-Dec-20 10:42:36

Nortsat ?

LauraNorder Thu 17-Dec-20 12:02:30

I’m with you Norstat, my bubbles will be from glass to nose.
Just the two of us for this year but tree and lights up. Family Christmas party in July.
I do hope your husband is well and home for Christmas with you Monica.

LauraNorder Thu 17-Dec-20 12:04:16

Sorry Nansnet and bubbles tchblush

rockgran Thu 17-Dec-20 12:07:34

We don't see our family every year so this year will just be one of those. Catering for two - quite pleasant.

MawBe Thu 17-Dec-20 12:17:58

I think the one thing we can be sure won’t be happening is Christmas as usual this year - sorry OP.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 17-Dec-20 12:29:23

Christmas semi-normal.

House decorated, food and wine ordered.

But catering for just 2 of us, whereas anything up to about 10 or 11 (can’t really cope with more than that) is normal.

All meeting up out doors onBoxing Day, which is again semi-normal as it is usually just the dog owners and anyone else who fancies coming along. Picnic in the open air - definitely not normal.

But we will enjoy ourselves regardless.

Commiserations to your husband monica and wish him a speedy recovery.

annsixty Thu 17-Dec-20 12:33:47

Our original Christmas meal now cancelled, on to plan B.

merlotgran Thu 17-Dec-20 12:47:27

DH's radiotherapy rules absolutely no farty foods so sprouts are off the menu. Boo Hoo! I adore them.

No fizz either so Buck's no fizz? I think a glass of mulled wine will be preferable.

Christmas is definitely not 'normal' here but it will be fun all the same. When is it considered OK to break open the chocs? I've been very restrained!

Hope your DH is well enough to be home for Christmas M0nica.

Callistemon Thu 17-Dec-20 13:11:23

Does mulled wine keep?

I have a bottle from last year and another from the year before.
(yes, I do know it's odd tchgrin but I bought too much a couple of years ago and last year felt too ill to drink any.

merlotgran Thu 17-Dec-20 13:14:43

I presume it keeps, Calli. I normally make my own but Tesco's own is only 5% alcohol and I don't want to be plastered by lunchtime. tchgrin

Callistemon Thu 17-Dec-20 13:20:30

It's a Waitrose one from last year and a Lidl Glühwein from the year before!

I could share it on here, of course wine

LauraNorder Thu 17-Dec-20 14:14:08

Usually there’s a use by date on the screw top Callistemon. We bought the Aldi one last year but it was out of date by July so we used it in the garden fly catchers, worked a treat.

Hetty58 Thu 17-Dec-20 14:21:37

So - in a wildly 'abnormal' year, with grave health concerns for many and the prospect of an overwhelmed NHS - people decide to have a 'normal' Christmas. How absolutely bonkers and irresponsible!

AmberSpyglass Thu 17-Dec-20 14:23:21

Last year we were meant to be with my Dad and sister etc for Christmas, but my wife was ill so we couldn’t. He’s going to see them but we’re staying at home. My cousins will be popping over to stand around the chiminea in the garden on Boxing Day, though!

merlotgran Thu 17-Dec-20 14:23:41

LauraNorder

Usually there’s a use by date on the screw top Callistemon. We bought the Aldi one last year but it was out of date by July so we used it in the garden fly catchers, worked a treat.

I never knew there was a use by date on wine. tchgrin

Ailidh Thu 17-Dec-20 14:33:01

Normal Christmas here too.
Church on Christmas Eve.
House decorated as usual.
Full Christmas dinner cooked as usual.
Mild dressing up as usual (ie I actually put a dress on).
Me and the dog as usual.
Gifts from a few good friends and two kind brothers as usual.

I am not nasty, I really do feel for people whose Christmas feels spoiled.
I am immensely grateful that mine is not ?

Marthjolly1 Thu 17-Dec-20 14:45:20

Just myself and MrJ. Family too far away and have no intention of travelling anywhere. Real tree and lots of decs have been up for couple of weeks. Turkey Crown, whole duck and joint of beef in the freezer should see us through to new year. Not had a mince pie yet, they're at the back of the cupboard til next week. The big family get together will wait until it's safe.

AmberSpyglass Thu 17-Dec-20 14:58:26

I can’t WAIT for the next big family get-together! We’re all so close - cousins, aunts, grandparents, grandkids - and we’ve never gone so long without seeing each other before.

Teacheranne Thu 17-Dec-20 16:07:06

annsixty

I have just heard on BBC news that although the decision about tiers will be made today, it will not be announced until tomorrow. Why?
Sorry this is a slight diversion but the only thing I have planned is lunch out on Christmas Day with my GD.

No meeting up with family or friends.
I have felt safer in the one restaurant I have been in than most people say they have felt in shops.
I have not been in a shop since the beginning of March.
The booking we have had since October will not be possible unless we go into tier 2.
Our numbers in Stockport have been consistently low but we get lumped in with Manchester.
With days to go to get shopping in if we can’t go out I feel very unhappy.
My GD will have to shop on Saturday.
Rant over now.

Radio 2 news announced three areas which are moving down to Tier Two but Greater Manchester was not one of them! I am also waiting with bated breath to see if we move down, it won’t affect my plans but it might help some of the hospitality trade.

Teacheranne Thu 17-Dec-20 16:10:07

Hetty58

So - in a wildly 'abnormal' year, with grave health concerns for many and the prospect of an overwhelmed NHS - people decide to have a 'normal' Christmas. How absolutely bonkers and irresponsible!

Not necessarily, some people’s normal Christmas is spent just with their household.

I am going to my sisters house as I live alone and she is my support bubble. Nothing wrong with that, I see her every week as she helps me with some household jobs which I can no longer physically manage.