Gransnet forums

Christmas

Christmas as usual

(66 Posts)
M0nica Tue 15-Dec-20 13:03:09

I have decided to have a normal Christmas. That doesn't mean any breaking of rules.

It means that the house will be as decorated as it always is, cooking and catering will be as normal and those present will do all the usual things. On the day, there may be only DD and me as DH is in hospital, he may be home, he may have day release, or we may be visiting him.

It was writing about my childhood as an army brat. No matter where we were. Christmas day was always the same. I suddenly realised that we were in a similar situation this year and I ddid not want ' year without Christmas' when I allow outside circumstances change our traditions, so everything is going ahead and normal.

Must just dash off and decant the blackberry gin.

Namsnanny Fri 18-Dec-20 12:28:33

Jane10

The only Christmas I've spent on my own was when I was 8. I was ill in bed so the family left me on my own and went to the grandparents for Christmas lunch. I was sad then but pretty appalled looking back on it. I couldn't have left one of my children ill in bed and on their own at Christmas.

As callistemon said times were different then and many parents did this sort of thing.
Something similar (not christmas day though) happened to me!
I feel for the little jane10 who spent christmas lunch on her own feeling ill!tchangryflowers

Namsnanny Fri 18-Dec-20 12:21:35

Teacheranne that's very thoughtful of you, especially as I'm sure you would have loved to have seen him in the flesh!
Very considerate of others too.

Teacheranne Fri 18-Dec-20 00:23:53

My son, who lives in Birmingham was going to drive up this weekend, approx 100 miles, just to stand on my drive and exchange presents. I’ve cancelled that as I told him what I am giving to him and his girlfriend are not worth the journey! Seriously, it’s not a necessary journey and although I’ve not seem him for ages, it’s too much of a risk.

We are hoping that by the summer we will all be able to get together for a family bbq but who knows!

Teacheranne Fri 18-Dec-20 00:19:03

Callistemon

^Teacheranne, your 'support bubble' sister is very clever to be able to assist remotely! Just because it's 'allowed' doesn't mean that it's sensible.^
If she is doing housework then she must be visiting the home which I thought was allowed.

You can form a support bubble with another household of any size if:
^you live by yourself – even if carers visit you to provide support^

Yes, she visits me about once a week to help me with things like changing the bed, heavy housework etc. I rarely go to her house and didn’t go during the last lockdown or now we are in Tier Three.

As far as I understand this is allowed.

I didn’t understand Hetty58s comment about assisting me remotely. Careers are allowed to go into houses and in reality my sister is my Carer, albeit not every day as I can potter and do light housework.

lemongrove Thu 17-Dec-20 22:29:49

Chewbacca ?

lemongrove Thu 17-Dec-20 22:28:57

Jane10

The only Christmas I've spent on my own was when I was 8. I was ill in bed so the family left me on my own and went to the grandparents for Christmas lunch. I was sad then but pretty appalled looking back on it. I couldn't have left one of my children ill in bed and on their own at Christmas.

Neither could I Jane..
It’s a very unkind thing to do, especially at Christmas.
I think many parents did things that we would never have done though, and looking back am horrified at how young we were, left at home ( alone) as a regular thing.

M0nica Thu 17-Dec-20 22:16:58

Exactly Deedaa, that is what I expect to do

Deedaa Thu 17-Dec-20 21:23:00

We had decided that this year DD and her family would just come round to exchange presents and have a piece of cake. Her husband has heart problems and has been working from home since March so it seemed safer not to spend the whole day together. Now GS1 has been sent home from school because he's been in contact with someone who's tested positive, so we don't know if they will be able to come at all. I shall just cook my usual meal and if only DS and I are here so be it.

Chewbacca Thu 17-Dec-20 20:58:56

AmberSpyglass

I can’t WAIT for the next big family get-together! We’re all so close - cousins, aunts, grandparents, grandkids - and we’ve never gone so long without seeing each other before.

Hmmmm......hmm

janeainsworth Thu 17-Dec-20 18:07:12

Hetty So - in a wildly 'abnormal' year, with grave health concerns for many and the prospect of an overwhelmed NHS - people decide to have a 'normal' Christmas. How absolutely bonkers and irresponsible!

Has anyone said they intended to break the rules? The OP specifically said she wouldn’t.

The people I really meant, though, are those who are having the usual large family get together. I think that's just selfish - and a danger to the rest of us. They could block the ITU beds just when we need them!

Well if you stick to the rules yourself, you won’t need an ICU bed, will you? That’s the whole point of the rules, to avoid ICU’s being overwhelmed.

Jane10 Thu 17-Dec-20 17:13:39

Callistemon Thu 17-Dec-20 16:34:32

Teacheranne, your 'support bubble' sister is very clever to be able to assist remotely! Just because it's 'allowed' doesn't mean that it's sensible.
If she is doing housework then she must be visiting the home which I thought was allowed.

You can form a support bubble with another household of any size if:
you live by yourself – even if carers visit you to provide support

Hetty58 Thu 17-Dec-20 16:24:38

Teacheranne, your 'support bubble' sister is very clever to be able to assist remotely! Just because it's 'allowed' doesn't mean that it's sensible.

The people I really meant, though, are those who are having the usual large family get together. I think that's just selfish - and a danger to the rest of us. They could block the ITU beds just when we need them!

Barmeyoldbat Thu 17-Dec-20 16:19:26

Just the to of us plus the rescue cat who is eating us out of house and home. The the and a few decs up, nearly all the food is already bought, no so much but enough. Will arrange Christmas dinner so we can then sit and watch some TV and relax in front of our fire.

Hetty58 Thu 17-Dec-20 16:13:34

Yes AmberSpyglass, so can I. I've been WAITING since February, after all, so no way am I taking risks now. That would be crazy.

I'll wait until I'm vaccinated. I've never spent Christmas alone. It won't be that bad though. I'm not sick, disabled or hungry - I'm not a child, either - it'll be just fine.

Every cloud has a silver lining. I'm looking forward to not seeing certain daft relatives!

Teacheranne Thu 17-Dec-20 16:10:07

Hetty58

So - in a wildly 'abnormal' year, with grave health concerns for many and the prospect of an overwhelmed NHS - people decide to have a 'normal' Christmas. How absolutely bonkers and irresponsible!

Not necessarily, some people’s normal Christmas is spent just with their household.

I am going to my sisters house as I live alone and she is my support bubble. Nothing wrong with that, I see her every week as she helps me with some household jobs which I can no longer physically manage.

Teacheranne Thu 17-Dec-20 16:07:06

annsixty

I have just heard on BBC news that although the decision about tiers will be made today, it will not be announced until tomorrow. Why?
Sorry this is a slight diversion but the only thing I have planned is lunch out on Christmas Day with my GD.

No meeting up with family or friends.
I have felt safer in the one restaurant I have been in than most people say they have felt in shops.
I have not been in a shop since the beginning of March.
The booking we have had since October will not be possible unless we go into tier 2.
Our numbers in Stockport have been consistently low but we get lumped in with Manchester.
With days to go to get shopping in if we can’t go out I feel very unhappy.
My GD will have to shop on Saturday.
Rant over now.

Radio 2 news announced three areas which are moving down to Tier Two but Greater Manchester was not one of them! I am also waiting with bated breath to see if we move down, it won’t affect my plans but it might help some of the hospitality trade.

AmberSpyglass Thu 17-Dec-20 14:58:26

I can’t WAIT for the next big family get-together! We’re all so close - cousins, aunts, grandparents, grandkids - and we’ve never gone so long without seeing each other before.

Marthjolly1 Thu 17-Dec-20 14:45:20

Just myself and MrJ. Family too far away and have no intention of travelling anywhere. Real tree and lots of decs have been up for couple of weeks. Turkey Crown, whole duck and joint of beef in the freezer should see us through to new year. Not had a mince pie yet, they're at the back of the cupboard til next week. The big family get together will wait until it's safe.

Ailidh Thu 17-Dec-20 14:33:01

Normal Christmas here too.
Church on Christmas Eve.
House decorated as usual.
Full Christmas dinner cooked as usual.
Mild dressing up as usual (ie I actually put a dress on).
Me and the dog as usual.
Gifts from a few good friends and two kind brothers as usual.

I am not nasty, I really do feel for people whose Christmas feels spoiled.
I am immensely grateful that mine is not ?

merlotgran Thu 17-Dec-20 14:23:41

LauraNorder

Usually there’s a use by date on the screw top Callistemon. We bought the Aldi one last year but it was out of date by July so we used it in the garden fly catchers, worked a treat.

I never knew there was a use by date on wine. tchgrin

AmberSpyglass Thu 17-Dec-20 14:23:21

Last year we were meant to be with my Dad and sister etc for Christmas, but my wife was ill so we couldn’t. He’s going to see them but we’re staying at home. My cousins will be popping over to stand around the chiminea in the garden on Boxing Day, though!

Hetty58 Thu 17-Dec-20 14:21:37

So - in a wildly 'abnormal' year, with grave health concerns for many and the prospect of an overwhelmed NHS - people decide to have a 'normal' Christmas. How absolutely bonkers and irresponsible!

LauraNorder Thu 17-Dec-20 14:14:08

Usually there’s a use by date on the screw top Callistemon. We bought the Aldi one last year but it was out of date by July so we used it in the garden fly catchers, worked a treat.

Callistemon Thu 17-Dec-20 13:20:30

It's a Waitrose one from last year and a Lidl Glühwein from the year before!

I could share it on here, of course wine