Gransnet forums

Christmas

I'm a Poinsetta killer!

(20 Posts)
Newatthis Wed 16-Dec-20 12:31:05

So another Christmas another poinsetta and another death in the family - my poinsetta! I don't know what I do but every year they never make Christmas. I give them a lot of TLC, light, water, spray them and treat them like I would my own children but they still die on me. What am I doing wrong?

timetogo2016 Wed 16-Dec-20 12:33:37

Well Newatthis,i also have that problem and i do everything the way i should.
Some gransnetters will lead you in the right direction for sure.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 16-Dec-20 12:34:08

Poinsettias do not like to be too hot or cold, they need a constant temperature no drafts and not a lot of watering. Sadly you might have killed yours with kindness.

Blinko Wed 16-Dec-20 12:38:33

Me too, I'm anathema to Poinsettia... I just have to look at them and they die. No point at all in my having them in the house.

Jaxjacky Wed 16-Dec-20 12:41:27

Me too, a friend gave me one yesterday, I did warn her!

David0205 Wed 16-Dec-20 12:48:21

Not too hot and don’t over water use a pot with a drain hole and put a saucer under that, not a closed pot

eazybee Wed 16-Dec-20 12:59:07

Poinsettias are notoriously difficult to maintain; I had a friend who was determined to preserve hers and fought all year to keep it alive. It took an immense amount of trouble, feeding and concern over ambient temperature etc etc. The plant did make it through the year, (too scared not to) so she proved she could do it but after her triumph she resorted to buying good fresh ones each year like the rest of us.

Nanna58 Wed 16-Dec-20 13:03:00

Oh God me too,but not too sorry as I hate them! Been given three so far, have put them as much out of sight as possible!!!!

J52 Wed 16-Dec-20 13:08:08

I don’t like them, too fussy give me a Christmas cactus every time! Easier and don’t mind neglect.

kittylester Wed 16-Dec-20 13:09:30

I've been given 3 too. The white one isnt looking to hot but the red ones are ok....for now!

lemongrove Wed 16-Dec-20 13:14:35

I used to like having one in the hall, but soon cottoned onto the fact that every time the front door was opened a draught whizzed by onto plants.That finished them off quickly.☹️The next one bought was put into the conservatory, which although heated, became colder at night which soon killed it off.The best position seems to be on the hearth ( moved of course, when we have a log fire) it’s out of direct sunlight, and seems happy there.Over watering makes them rot and leaves fall off.Too warm a position and over dry and makes the leaves fall off.The ideal is no doubt a faux poinsettia!

Blinko Wed 16-Dec-20 13:16:37

Of course, they grow wild in Mediterranean regions, flourishing into trees, even. We are not in the Med...

Lucylastic Wed 16-Dec-20 14:11:24

Keep your poinsettia in a warmish room and stand it in a little water when the compost feels dry.

Urmstongran Wed 16-Dec-20 14:22:07

They are a bit diva-ish aren’t they? I’m eyeing my baby one up now. Two weeks and it’s still with us. I don’t particularly like them. I think it knows ...

EllanVannin Wed 16-Dec-20 14:38:37

I can't keep them either, though one was lasting well a few years back, minus all but a couple of leaves and looked to be picking up so I hadn't the heart to dispose of it.
In the end, knowing it should be put out of its misery, I planted it outside and that saw it off altogether.

Orchids are another. All the new buds dropped off the one I got in October for my Birthday so I put it in the back kitchen and there's new growth at the end of the stems plus new buds too so I'll see how it goes. My guess is that it was too dry initially so I soaked it and so far it appears happy enough. We'll wait and see grin

Shrub Wed 16-Dec-20 15:53:30

Sometimes the problem can stem from the conditions the plants have been kept in before sale. They may well have been left outside in the cold during transit. So try to buy from a good garden centre, never an outside market or even a supermarket.

Justwidowed Wed 16-Dec-20 16:01:36

I've always had success with my poinsettias. They normally last until the end of spring.I water them infrequently and keep them on the sideboard in the lounge. My three Christmas cacti are all ready to flower for Christmas, the first time they've flowered at the right time.They are all 6 or 7 years old and bought from supermarkets as the poinsettias are.Any other plants die on me.!!

Sar53 Wed 16-Dec-20 16:03:36

I feel your pain. I always kill them off, it's a standing joke with DH. BUT the one I bought last year is still alive. Its a bit scraggly and no red leaves but it grew well earlier this year.
I think I've found the ideal place to keep it, not in bright sunlight but no draughts either. If it is still alive next spring I will cut it back and repot it.
Watch this space !!!

cornergran Wed 16-Dec-20 16:49:14

This years is astounding us. Three weeks in and not a dropped leaf. It’s where no poinsettia should be, in a conservatory with variable temperatures and where it gets a draught every time the door opens. Oh yes, it’s been watered once. A real toughie so far.

Rosalyn69 Wed 16-Dec-20 16:59:24

I usually do well but this year I don’t think mine will make it to Christmas Day.