Gransnet forums

Christmas

Piped Christmas Music whilst shopping Can Be Nauseating

(13 Posts)
Witzend Fri 18-Dec-20 14:28:18

‘Mistletoe and Wine’ should be banned throughout the universe! Worst Christmas song ever.

I do always like hearing carols, but alas they hardly ever play those in shops - or if they do, they’re mucked-about pop versions, with one of those either breathe-y or screechy singers, and twiddly bits added. Those really do bring out my inner grumpy old bag, or rather my inner Scroogette at this time of year.

Contrary to the OP, after such a rubbish year, I think quite a few people are making a bit more of Christmas than usual, to make up for it.

Having said that, nobody ever has to go mad, over-indulge with food, presents or anything else. Plenty of people who enjoy Christmas (not the Bah Humbug brigade, obviously) manage to have a lovely time without going OTT.

merlotgran Thu 17-Dec-20 10:18:59

Same here, annsixty. I'd quite happily hum along to Mistletoe and Wine if I could just get back to some sort of normality.

I daren't take any risks though while DH has so many health issues.

annsixty Thu 17-Dec-20 10:07:43

I would give anything at the moment to go into a shop and hear any sort of music.
I haven’t been in any sort of shop since early March and it must be well over a year since I went in a supermarket.
I would be very nervous doing it now.

Nansnet Thu 17-Dec-20 09:53:56

Just a weekly food shop for me. But, I must confess, with all the doom and gloom in the world right now, I'm more than happy to push my trolly around listening to jolly Christmas tunes! I don't want to feel miserable, and it lightens my mood no end! "Have a Holly Jolly Christmas ..."tchgrin

ninathenana Wed 16-Dec-20 17:44:23

Just what I was thinking Daisymae

Apart from a weekly food shop I haven't been shopping since March

Daisymae Wed 16-Dec-20 17:12:07

Shopping? What's that?

Lucca Wed 16-Dec-20 16:24:07

And the way these hideous songs get stuck in your brain.

Jaxjacky Wed 16-Dec-20 15:26:52

Another advantage to online shopping and our small local shops are mercifully silent.

Charleygirl5 Wed 16-Dec-20 15:18:39

Last year I walked into a local charity shop- the door was wide open and the pavement outside was beautifully warm. The music blaring out was so loud I immediately walked out again because I could not hear myself think. I prefer no music at all.

dahlia Wed 16-Dec-20 15:13:24

Sainsbury seem to have a special line in caterwauling, though I have to admit I found myself humming along to "Mistletoe and Wine" the other day in the dairy aisle! Staff assure me they stop hearing the music after the first half-hour. tchsmile

downtoearth Wed 16-Dec-20 14:48:04

They have playing christmas music in my local Tesco,I think it is a subliminal way to make you forget what you went in for,and to come out with a trolley load of things you didnt want.

grannysyb Wed 16-Dec-20 14:39:50

Pity the poor staff who have to listen to it all day! One year I mislaid the Christmas lights and went to buy some more at the local garden centre. Along with a lot of the usual tat that they often sell, they had about twenty Father Christmas musical dolls, "singing ". I wanted a Kalashnikov to kill them all!

TerriBull Wed 16-Dec-20 14:32:53

In particular It's The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year shock well it bloody well isn't this year is it?

I've been cautiously shopping this week, quick in and out of a couple of well known high street stores and invariably that was playing! I'm not mad about Christmas under normal circumstances. Increasingly it has become too much of everything, too much over indulging, too much spending with money people don't have, on stuff other people don't need, too much going into debt for months after, too many expectations of wonderful idealised get togethers, those in particular are a huge stress factor at the moment, because we shouldn't really be having them.

I really don't think people want to hear that type of fake Christmas jollity ditty right now!

Bah Humbug!