Gransnet forums

Christmas

Boxes of chocolates

(133 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Sat 19-Dec-20 14:14:40

I have been given a box of chocolates for Christmas, and have been sampling them this afternoon?.

They are what one would describe as modern flavours. Whilst delicious I have decided that I really prefer the more traditional flavours.

annodomini Sun 27-Dec-20 16:56:14

Chocolate gingers for me. A small box of them had the Lidl logo on the back and they were far too good to share. My son, who abhors ginger, gave me the chocolate gingers from his Hotel Chocolat vegan selection, but, disappointingly, they were too bitter even for me. sad

Puzzler61 Sun 27-Dec-20 16:08:47

I’m tucking into a bag of Cadbury’s Little Robins. Just solid milk chocolate. Anybody else like them?

Whitewavemark2 Sun 27-Dec-20 15:14:13

I’ve just finished mine?.

Callistemon Mon 21-Dec-20 16:26:29

Some chocolates are spoiled for me if they have crunchy bits in them, particularly mint chocolates
You can send them to me, grannybuy; I like Elizabeth Shaw Mint Crisps

Blinko Mon 21-Dec-20 16:01:42

I've uncovered a box dated 2017... I melted them all down and made brownies. They were ok. And no one's died yet.

Jodieb Mon 21-Dec-20 15:15:22

seacliff

I am unusual it seems, in that I LOVE coffee creams, well anything coffee flavoured. Also most other creams. I agree a lot of chocolates aren't as good theses days, due to change of recipe/palm oil?

I used to get Linden Lady Chocs at foodie shows. They were sooo delicious. Can't find them now. I would like to get a treat for Christmas but not sure what. Too late for Hotel Chocolat delivery.

I've just looked them up -sadly closed in November

Jodieb Mon 21-Dec-20 15:05:38

Whitewavemark2

Marzipan I would kill for.

But violet and rose cream are very acceptable

Me too! The German s/market sell lovely marzipan chocs and i bought some violet chocs too.

Blossoming Mon 21-Dec-20 14:58:34

I loathe marzipan.

jerseygirl Mon 21-Dec-20 14:52:52

I like the old favourites. M&S do their own and they are more like the traditional chocs. Sainsburys do their own tin, these are &1.50 cheaper than the usual tins. I love orange, strawberry & coffee creams and chocolate caramel.

Namsnanny Mon 21-Dec-20 12:02:11

Chewbacca

Only the same rubbish news that thousands of other families have to deal with for Christmas, at very short notice, Namsnanny. I'm telling myself "it's just one day; there will be others; it's no big deal", but I'm fed up with it nevertheless! smile

Oh yes I see!sad my christmas would have been 'quiet' anyway this year, without Covid.
As you say it's just one day so we must keep calm and carry on!

Namsnanny Mon 21-Dec-20 11:55:16

Must be in the DNA Maggiemaybesmile

Happyme Sun 20-Dec-20 23:23:27

Have some cherries soaking in brandy ready to dip in melted chocolate.....Galaxy milk being my favourite. Plan is to box them up to give as giifts, pretty boxes at the ready. Problem is they are so scrummy I ate the last lot I made blush

grannybuy Sun 20-Dec-20 23:04:37

I agree that some of the ' older ' chocolate brands have let themselves down. They're using cheap ingredients to keep the price down. I like Lindt and Hotel Chocolat. Some chocolates are spoiled for me if they have crunchy bits in them, particularly mint chocolates. I like mine smooth. Nuts are okay, but not hard sugary bits.

misty34 Sun 20-Dec-20 22:56:37

I prefer dark chocolate and anything Nutty is my favourite!

Callistemon Sun 20-Dec-20 22:51:29

I love Chocolate Brazils but haven't bought any this year.

Callistemon Sun 20-Dec-20 22:49:17

?
I'm wondering just how many you had to sample before deciding you preferred traditional chocolates, Whitewave!

I bought a box of Thornton's Pudding chocolates last year but wasn't keen; I prefer traditional flavours.

An elderly Aunt used to always have a very large box of Suchard chocolates at Chrustmas, I always thought they were very posh.

I do like Lindt Truffles, that's all I've bought this year - oh and a box of Bendicks Mint Collection.
DH isn't so keen on the mints but that's ok, I hidden a box of Terry's orange segments for him.

Snowbell Sun 20-Dec-20 22:32:36

Whatever happened to the boxes of chocolates like my Dad used to buy for my Mum every year with a pretty picture on the front? We still talk about "chocolate box" scenes but I never see them in the shops.

Grandmabatty Sun 20-Dec-20 20:40:35

I love dark chocolate now but when I was younger it was Terry's all the way. I had one of those boxes with the trays and kept it for years. I remember being in Switzerland in the very early seventies and being very impressed with lindt chocolate. Swiss chocolate seemed very sophisticated. My favourite is cherries in dark chocolate. Mum loves black magic but says the selection isn't the same. Hotel chocolate is lovely. What a delicious thread! ☺

MawBe Sun 20-Dec-20 20:36:26

Possibly irrelevant, but a few years ago while I was still working I left out a bottle of port and a box of chocolates for P and J the lovely couple who clean for me
When I came home there was a card for us and a little present from them
In the evening I got a slightly embarrassed phone call from J to say thank you for the bottle but had there been something else as they had found a ribbon and a gift tag?
The dog (who clearly had not read that chocolate is bad for dogs ) had scoffed the chocs - the box and wrappings too! ???
She was none the worse, fortunately.

BlueSapphire Sun 20-Dec-20 20:20:30

Coffee cream is my absolute favourite, but not popular I understand, so please save them all for me!

Jane10 Sun 20-Dec-20 18:27:13

DD has a very pretty little ragdoll cat. He was reclining on a cushion and I told DD that he looked liked something off a chocolate box and she stared blankly. Must have been longer than I'd realised since chocolate boxes had pretty pictures on them. sad

Jennyluck Sun 20-Dec-20 18:03:34

I love coffee chocolates, but most boxes of chocolates don’t have them any more. Roses had a really delicious one, but no more sadly. 2nd choice is strawberry creams.

But the odd thing is, I never liked coffee flavours of anything. But my mother did, I seemed to inherit her liking after she died.

moggie57 Sun 20-Dec-20 17:42:50

Lucky you .I can't eat chocolates too much palm oil.why out coconut oil in everything.i hate coconut.box of shortbread is better.no palm oil.yes !!!!

Alioop Sun 20-Dec-20 17:21:40

I really just like the creams in choc boxes so really a waste buying me them. I don't like choc and nuts together, just savoury nuts, I know I'm weird. I got fancy ones bought to me with all the unusual flavours and I'm sorry they are not for me at all. I'm probably better with a tub of Cadburys Heroes, minatures of the larger bars of chocolate lol

ayse Sun 20-Dec-20 16:45:44

I’ve seen both violet and rose creams in Aldi. Favourite used to be Terry’s All Gold in beautiful boxes and Terry’s dark Chocolate Orange

Now, it’s Hotel Chocolate, dark and yummy.