Gransnet forums

Christmas

Anybody else glad it’s over?

(87 Posts)
MawBe Sat 26-Dec-20 20:58:47

How churlish that sounds
But faced with making the “best” of a Christmas alone because DGS in my bubble tested positive last Monday and both other DDs like me are in Tier 4 all my plans were up the proverbial spout. Once I had got over my initial disappointment (tears) I resolved to don my big girl pants and put on a brave face pinning my smile on.
Zooms, FaceTimes, phone calls from friends and a plated Christmas dinner from my best friend two doors down - what was not to like?
Walked the dog in the morning and greeted the other dog walkers cheerily .
But by bedtime when I had unpinned my smile I realised that behind it all was a crushing loneliness, sadness, isolation and bleakness about the future.

Glad that’s behind me - anybody else feeling it too?

V3ra Sat 26-Dec-20 22:30:18

Bluebellwould what a hard time you're having.
I hope your operation is a success and your health improves soon.

Nanof3 Sat 26-Dec-20 22:34:10

I am always glad to get to 1st January and this year especially was hard, I felt depressed all day and had a little weep by the evening.

nadateturbe Sat 26-Dec-20 22:39:20

I too haven't seen my eldest son for two years. I would have seen him this year but for the pandemic. My daughter and gc usually visit before Christmas. They don't like videocalls. So all I got was photos of gc. and phone calls with everyone trying to be jolly!
I too am glad its over. Today was much nicer and just a normal day.
I am so sorry you are feeling so ill and so depressed with it Bluebellwould I hope the op on the 9th January helps and you feel a little better . [flowers ]

LauraNorder Sat 26-Dec-20 22:45:14

Maw, if it’s any consolation I think most of us struggled to keep up the facade of being okay and making the best of it. I at least still have my husband but still was glad to see the back of it all and have cried lots over these past months.
I have great admiration for those of you going through the same emotions but without the strong shoulders of your other half.
Vaccine and hope, longer days and only a few months to spring, daffodils and sunshine will bring us all out of the gloom with open arms ready for those long awaited cuddles.
flowers

LauraNorder Sat 26-Dec-20 22:50:50

Lucca You certainly never sound old ugly or useless flowers

maddyone Sat 26-Dec-20 22:51:19

I don’t actually care whether it’s over or not. I’ve contracted Covid as has my husband, because the hospital discharged my mother home saying she was Covid free and didn’t need to self isolate. One day later she was back in hospital and tested positive. In the few hours she was at home my husband visited her. He picked it up and gave it to me and he’s not really too bad, but I feel absolutely dreadful. So I haven’t even opened the presents under the tree.

MissAdventure Sat 26-Dec-20 22:56:15

Oh no, Maddyone!
How awful for you all.
I do hope you feel better soon (ish?) flowers

What a horrible thing to happen.

MawBe Sat 26-Dec-20 22:57:49

Maddyone I am so very sorry to hear this but also very angry on your behalf.
I do hope your DH can cope and give you the rest you need - what a nightmare situation.
I feel dreadful about giving in to my own woes now, realising there are many much worse off.
Sincerely wish you a full recovery. flowers

maddyone Sat 26-Dec-20 23:49:00

Thank you ladies. I wasn’t having a go at you Maw, I’d only read the title and just thought ‘I don’t care.’ I just want to feel better, and I hope you all stay safe. I wouldn’t wish how I feel on anyone.

LauraNorder Sat 26-Dec-20 23:52:14

Maddyone that is so awful for you, your husband and your mum. I sincerely hope that you feel better soon.
Don’t feel bad Maw you were right to tell us how you feel, it helps us all to know we’re not alone with our crazy mixed up emotions.

merlotgran Sat 26-Dec-20 23:52:20

Take care of yourself, maddyone Hope you feel better soon. flowers

maddyone Sat 26-Dec-20 23:53:19

Mum definitely picked up the infection on the ward, she went in after a fall. Two supposedly virus free patients were brought to her ward and both moved within 24 hours when discovered to be positive but the damage was done.And then I asked husband to leave mum alone for a week as there were carers going in but he said he was reassured as hospital had said no need to isolate.

maddyone Sat 26-Dec-20 23:53:56

Thanks ladies.

Chewbacca Sun 27-Dec-20 00:01:40

But by bedtime when I had unpinned my smile I realised that behind it all was a crushing loneliness, sadness, isolation and bleakness about the future.

This perfectly and accurately describes how I felt by the end of the day. The final straw was hearing my neighbours singing sweetly to each other and I just sat and wept. blush I was so desperate to bring the day to an end that I took a sleeping tablet and went to bed at half past 6, just so that it would be over.
Maddyone I'm really very sorry you're feeling so ill and hope you're feeling much better very soon.

Spangler Sun 27-Dec-20 00:08:01

Urmstongran Sat 26-Dec-20 21:51:57

^I think this has been a rollercoaster of a year for so many of us, in varying degrees.

Soon it will be a new year. Let’s all hope 2021 brings us peace of mind and hope for better days ahead.^

The run in to Christmas as well as the New Year, I really enjoy. We go to dances, functions and parties within our social group. What I don't like about Christmas is the enforced jolliment. "It's Christmas, enjoy yourself." "It's Christmas, spend money that you can ill afford." "It's Christmas, be glutinous," and on and on.

Sadly I think that 2021 will be as challenging as the year just gone, by that I mean that the corona virus won't give up that easily. As history shows, the 1918 pandemic went on for two and a half years. It's not that I'm not optimistic, we have much better medicine and care, we also have far better sanitation and at least we know now how disease spreads, but we have those negative nay sayers that try to promote their agenda of no vaccine. It only takes one to rekindle the wretched process to start all over again.
However, I still wish everyone a happy and safe new year.

Arto1s Sun 27-Dec-20 00:16:50

I’m in the US so Christmas is still very real. So far, we’ve had a great Christmas and intend to continue it into the New Year......

BlueBelle Sun 27-Dec-20 05:14:48

Well good for you Artols rub it in a bit more I thought US was in the middle of a very severe pandemic with thousands of deaths are you in the desert ?

fatgran57 Sun 27-Dec-20 05:28:28

MawBeI am so sorry for your awful loneliness. My heart goes out to you for your sadness and loss. flowers

Genty Sun 27-Dec-20 06:27:53

Its just another day like any other for me as Im on my own, so Ive noticed no difference apart from the rubbish on tv. My son and family were unable to visit like they normally do just before xmas because of lockdown restrictions and I would not expect him to travel over 100 miles to visit me on xmas day and ruin their xmas day.
I do think Boris has made this year more disastrous for people with his sudden turn around of restrictions because of covid. Families should have been given more notice of the changes to make other arrangements to celebrate xmas.

MawBe Sun 27-Dec-20 07:01:18

Are you in a part of the States without Covid restrictions? (Are there any?)

Lucca Sun 27-Dec-20 07:13:28

“” "It's Christmas, be glutinous," and on and on.””

Well that made me laugh, picturing us all being a glutinous mess ......

I’m guessing predictive text didn’t like gluttonous..

Sparkling Sun 27-Dec-20 07:34:18

It's not good being alone anytime never mind Christmas. I am feeling anxious about the weeks ahead, how much solitude does one person need. But hope is on the horizon now. Maw, you have not been in your house long yet you have made a wonderful friend bringing you a meal. Could you go socially distanced walks. Maddyone, I do hope you all get better soon,,how wretched for you.

Calpurnia Sun 27-Dec-20 07:37:47

I do understand how you feel MawB. My much loved husband died in April and now I have had all the “firsts” - our birthdays, anniversaries and now Christmas without him.

I don’t ever want to be sad or upset with my family. I know they have their own sadness losing a very much loved father.

I spent a short time with family on Christmas Day, pinning the “I’m fine”face on. It was not until I returned home alone did I realise what a huge physical effort it was. I felt absolutely shattered and completely drained.

I was formerly a very upbeat , positive “can do it all” person but this Christmas has exhausted me, Boxing Day was just the same. I just sat and watched mindless television and probably ate too much.

The physically exhausting effects of sadness and grief should not be minimised and the toll on your body and mind is at times overwhelming.

There is no greater truth than the saying “Life goes on”. It might not be as we wished or hoped for. Things and life must surely start to get better next year for us all. We will look back on these Covid days in better times and wonder how we did it.

As long as we have understanding, kindness and support from all the lovely people here there will always be a source of comfort to get us through these difficult times.

Be as nice to yourself today as you are to others. Here is to a happier 2021.

dragonfly46 Sun 27-Dec-20 07:45:57

I read your message in the middle of the night when I couldn’t sleep Maw and my heart went out to you. I cannot imagine what being alone feels like.
I too am always glad when Christmas is over these days. We don’t get to see our GC as they spend the day with one or other of the in-laws. That is fine and I quite understand. This year, however, we couldn’t even spend it with DD and SiL as they are in Tier 4.

I am sorry to hear you are so sad Bluebellwould and that you are so poorly Maddyone.

Artols you have summed up why the virus is out of control in the US.

Sending flowers to all those feeling lonely or poorly.

Dorsetcupcake61 Sun 27-Dec-20 07:46:00

I'm so sorry Maddyone. My thoughts are with you all?