Gransnet forums

Christmas

I was just stripping the turkey, and suddenly had a vivid memory....

(12 Posts)
Witzend Mon 28-Dec-20 18:03:57

I used to give our dog the turkey-roasting tin (or any roasting tin for that matter) with some gravy added - she would do a thoroughly professional pre-dishwasher job - hold it down with one paw and keep at it until barely a molecule remained. Who needs Brillo pads? ?

Jane10 Sun 27-Dec-20 22:05:19

A lovely memory Witzend. I'm enjoying memories more and more these days. Other, better times and people long gone.

Callistemon Sun 27-Dec-20 20:56:57

Yes, I always remember our last dog who loved turkey, then would sulk after Christmas when it had all gone.

Urmstongran Sun 27-Dec-20 20:30:38

Mine looks like a coroners inquest now
Oh EV my best giggle of the day! Thank you.
?

EllanVannin Sun 27-Dec-20 20:24:16

Mine looks like a coroners inquest now. grin
Stripped to the bone, even the parson's nose is dissected for the cats.

Grandmacosway3 Sun 27-Dec-20 20:05:14

My sausage rolls and mince pies are exact replicas of the ones my mum used to make, as is my rough iced, snow scene Christmas cake. We've made new traditions over the years and it's lovely to see our boys and their families making new ones too and combining them with some from their childhood and youth.

tiredoldwoman Sun 27-Dec-20 19:52:33

What a beautiful story - animals make Christmas even better !
My once upon a time dog used to lean against the oven door whilst chicken was cooking , it was only ever when it was chicken !

Nortsat Sun 27-Dec-20 18:20:04

Witzend, that’s a lovely memory.
Christmas, especially this year, brings reflection and all sorts of things (the food, the decorations, the sounds and the smells) trigger memories.

I remember my mother (who died 43 years ago) every time I make stuffing to her delicious recipe.
My sister have me a white Christmas Tree shaped candle in 2000 and when I put it on the hearth each year, I think of her (she died in 2003).

I think the nostalgia, the memories and the tears are an integral part of Christmas.

Incidentally, I was just stripping the turkey and turned around to see our three cats lined up in a row, waiting for scraps...

mumofmadboys Sun 27-Dec-20 12:50:39

Christmas is such a time for memories isn't it? I think of my parents and brother, all now dead and various older friends and relatives from years ago. I often feel like a good cry but try to resist!!

Mapleleaf Sun 27-Dec-20 11:52:34

Yes, lovely memories. Strange how they are triggered sometimes.

Canalboatgranma Sun 27-Dec-20 11:48:26

Good memories eh?

Witzend Sun 27-Dec-20 11:40:41

...of a Christmas at least 12 years ago, friends with 2 dogs were staying, so with ours that made 3.

I was stripping the turkey then, and turned round to see all 3 dogs sitting in a row, looking the picture of good manners and hope!
Of course I gave them some bits, and once the carcass had been made into stock and drained, I went through the whole lot, picking out every last bone and bit of onion, etc., and they had the mess of skin and bits, plus some turkey stock mixed with their dinners - they were very happy!

One of the friends and all 3 dogs are long gone now. ?