Gransnet forums

Christmas

alone at christmas

(40 Posts)
sandy2021 Sat 02-Oct-21 23:18:20

Single mom of four grown children and this will be my first christmas without them. They all have spouses and significant others and are heading in different directions. Not sure how to spend the day. Any suggestions to keep me occupied would be appreciated.

Lulubelle500 Mon 04-Oct-21 15:51:27

Do you know anyone else who will be alone? A surprising number of people are, and some don't like to say. You could spend the day together, sharing the pre shopping and cooking. That's what happens in our road anyway. The years my children are going to their in-laws for the big day everyone comes to me in the morning for nibbles, and present opening and then goes on to lunch. Then DH and I have our lunch in the evening. You have to compromise a little at Christmas!

Daisend1 Mon 04-Oct-21 15:59:38

I will do what I have been doing since the loss of DH.
Reflecting on Christmas's past, watching t v, or if a fine day walking to the beach,with my flask of coffee where I will no doubt find like minded people ready to chat.

Amalegra Mon 04-Oct-21 16:09:45

Spoil yourself in whatever way makes you happy! Enjoy your very favourite food and drink! Watch your choice of TV, Christmassy or not, play music that makes you feel good, muse, think about the year ahead perhaps, read! I have spent several Christmases alone when my children were otherwise engaged or having a family Christmas with their father (why shouldn’t they?!) and I don’t really mind it; I usually am involved over one of the days, Christmas Eve / Boxing Bay etc. This year I was gearing up for other solo Christmas Day quite happily. My elder girl has four children and understandably they want to be in their own home. Their dad hasn’t got a wonderful place to live (his choice btw) so I told her to invite him, the other two being at their in laws. Anyway, turns out she wants us both to go now as things have thawed considerably between us fifteen years down the line and he is ok with it. Must admit it IS nice to be with our grandchildren together on the rare occasions that it happens. But solo Christmases are not a dread for me personally.

poshpaws Mon 04-Oct-21 16:10:20

I had my first Christmas alone last year, having lost my beloved husband to Covid in May 2020, and my DS & DIL not being able to visit from England due to travel restrictions. I thought that even though I'm pretty much a loner, it might be a really difficult time. However, I found a local hotel which was open for Christmas Lunch, and booked that, just to spoil myself, and found it a really lovely experience. (Book early not in December, if you decide to do this!) Then in the evening my DS & DIL and I had a lovely phone call where we opened our presents from each other and "oohed and aahed" - it wasn't, obviously, as wonderful as when my DH was there with me physically, but it meant the day was special.

I also think previous posters have given you some great suggestions.

I hope when it comes, you end up having a lovely Christmas.

4allweknow Mon 04-Oct-21 16:39:54

Any organisations you can volunteer with for the day. I did once, helping provide a Christmas dinner for elderly in local community centre. Sure there are loads of places serving the homeless that would appreciate an extra pair of hands for serving/clearing up.

lemongrove Mon 04-Oct-21 16:59:16

All of the above sound good suggestions.?
poshpaws how very sad for you, but you made the best of things for yourself at Christmas.

Shropshirelass Tue 05-Oct-21 10:00:31

Do whatever you feel like doing, my friend went out for a walk in the hills when she had her first Christmas without visitors, she really enjoyed it. I would add that she is normally very sociable and loves entertaining, she saw this as a nice change.

VANECAM Tue 05-Oct-21 10:12:31

Christmas is so overrated.

Being alone at Christmas isn’t a disaster or a tragedy!

Being alone at Christmas ( or any other time of the year) can be a luxury.

Being alone becomes a problem only if you allow it to.

nipsmum Tue 05-Oct-21 10:48:49

I have never yet spent Christmas Day alone. When I was a nurse I often worked on Christmas day and since then I've either been with my daughter's families or they have been with me. Sorry I can't send you any advice.

halfpint1 Tue 05-Oct-21 13:41:59

Well even the thought of being alone at Xmas makes me feel weepy and when it does loom up I dread it untill i've sorted something out

Cheska63 Tue 02-Nov-21 17:57:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Juliet27 Tue 02-Nov-21 18:17:00

Sorry to hear it’s not been a good year for you nexus. I hope Christmas will be ok for you.

Sympathy for you too poshpaws

Charleygirl5 Tue 02-Nov-21 18:29:18

I have spent at least 7 Christmases on my own. I buy something really different for my evening meal and watch TV or do a washing- whatever takes my fancy! I always open a bottle of wine and on the whole there is usually something watchable on TV. I can always read a book and provided the heating is working I am happy!

Shinamae Tue 02-Nov-21 18:39:18

I work in a care home and always volunteer to work Christmas Day, well the afternoon two till eight… not really a Christmassy person. You have had some very good advice on here nothing I can really add….